Ways to play drums for electronic music

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone,

I know that most producers use piano roll/step sequencer to program drums for electronic music.
But there are other options I see, for example to use the midi keyboard to play drums, finger drumming with pads, or even more advanced option a tabletop drums and play with sticks.
Does anyone has experience with these and can share what are the advantages of each, and how to choose between them?

Thanks

Keys on keyboard - pretty good, and you can play one take with right/left hand just doing hihats, one take doing kick+snare and one for fills etc, some variation to it all. You develop a feel that is really hard to program, if even possible. Never felt programming were fun, unless a drum machine doing realtime on that too, one way to go also. That also allow to do a little off beat, and little late snare etc.

It's almost doable to do full kit with two hands, but kick, that is where I went to a pads module Yamaha DD55 to play with sticks, and you got both feet to do hihat coosh open/closed and kick etc. Takes a little practise but worth it. Rather cool training stuff built into Yamaha stuff too, IMO.

Then went on with proper edrums, which I did since, last 12 years or so.

pros - groove.
you dont get life by programming in the grid.

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:00 pm pros - groove.
That depends. If you don't know how to play well, you won't get any groove going even if you record the drums yourself.

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:00 pm pros - groove.
I do. I've tried a whole bunch of different methods.. finger drumming is nice for fills and breaks but sequencing is still king. You can't have things feeling too human.

wha-ya on about?

Return to “Production Techniques”