Ideas for reproducing a glitch technique by Oval in a DAW?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Disdaining the use of synthesizers, Oval instead deliberately mutilated CDs by writing on them with felt pens, then processed samples of fragmented sounds to create a very rhythmic electronic style."

I don't have access to any CDs but would like to try experimenting with similar techniques in Ableton. Obviously there are a million ways to mess up samples and create glitches in a DAW but I like the combined simplicity + unpredictability of this approach. Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks!

didnt they release a piece of software with one album a while back?

There was this, way back in the day, but I don't know of anything more recent.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/oval-markus-popp

dna was the album.
ovaldna was the software.
it was a sample player that would load short samples and "oval" them.

Awesome, thank you! Checking it out now.

great taste btw :tu:

The tough part now will be trying to make something as good...!

You might get some good results using a granular synth or effect such as Granulator II or Fragments ...

Also a very good call. I use Iris 2 a lot, which for some reason I thought was a granular synthesizer, but it really isn't. Need to check the Granulator out, thank you!

Trying this out, it's pretty wild!

https://vimeo.com/129474536

[Delete]
Last edited by ijiwaru on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey, thanks for this! Serious knowledge being dropped. Was thinking about modulating sample loop position but I haven't found a great way to do this in Ableton. Should really get Max for Live. And the clip you posted definitely nails the 94 Diskont sound!

ribs, search the instrument forum :tu:
free sampler/messer upper.

Return to “Production Techniques”