PRODUCTS

Image :D

Yes!! :)
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

hello sosayweall,

could you elaborate a little for us, less-informed-than-gregjazz people ?? :D

I admit my total ignorance about "the power of qin" :oops: , but the user manual thing just lets me think that it might be a teaser for the new, long awaited unified Kong engine....

is it just a dream of mine, or is there some reality in this fantasy ? :shock:

Please let us know... please....

pc and mac me feel well, ohsowell :band2:
"It dreamed itself along"

http://rekkerd.org/kong-audio-qin-nativ ... t-plugins/

Well...

No Mac version in sight yet, sorry.

No unified engine either, sorry. Whilst there might be one on the horizon, it's too early to say anything on that though.

EDIT: Let me put it this way: we'll most likely use a "unified UI" from here on. So our users can amass experience and knowledge of making the most of our instruments and bring the experience over to other QIN-powered instruments painlessly too. About the "unified plugin", it's going to be positioned differently.

Well, reading the link's target made it for me even confusing and mysterious ...

Does it mean that you are going to release something which is totally unrelated to your chinese instruments line ?

Or is it a new engine just for your future instruments ?....

Or ?...

And what about the "major update" for the existing plugins, that you've been mentoning a few times ? Did you put it aside for now, to focus on Qin's development ?

Come on, tell us more....
You have to anyway : according to the link, Qin has been out for over one month now....
So secret is no longer relevant ! :D :D

Eh, it would've been better if all current KA instruments were just ported to Kontakt... That seemed like a much better solution to me. Sorry to say, but we really don't need another sample player on the market, when there's only one to rule them all. :) With Kontakt, we just download the sample data once, and if mapping or something changes, the update is consisted of only downloading the NKI files, instead of the whole thing, again. MUCH better updating process.

That being said, at least there's some development with KA. But Kontakt should be hard thinked about, still. (It's also PC and Mac, 32- and 64-bit, so no problems there).

EvilDragon wrote:Eh, it would've been better if all current KA instruments were just ported to Kontakt... That seemed like a much better solution to me. Sorry to say, but we really don't need another sample player on the market, when there's only one to rule them all. :) With Kontakt, we just download the sample data once, and if mapping or something changes, the update is consisted of only downloading the NKI files, instead of the whole thing, again. MUCH better updating process.

That being said, at least there's some development with KA. But Kontakt should be hard thinked about, still. (It's also PC and Mac, 32- and 64-bit, so no problems there).
This, according to my thinking, is pure wisdom. I'm sure you've thought about it at KA and also considered CP issues. Kontakt Player licenses are also expensive, I understand, but surely that hurdle could be handled creatively?

Porting to Kontakt would open the door to a playability that is unmatched anywhere else, thanks to Kontakt's scripting engine. AND you would open the door to the steadily growing (at least in the West) Mac community.

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of development necessary to design a proprietary sample playing engine that even starts to approach Kontakt.

Since Samplemodelling and Orange Tree Samples could do it with great success, I've no doubt that Kong Audio could make that leap as well. ;-)

Best,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

KA doesn't really need to release their instruments with Kontakt Player, to save on money. OTS does it the same way - you need a full version of Kontakt to use them, or else you're in 15 minute demo mode. And that's it.

Also don't forget that Kontakt 4 offers amazing GUI scripting possibilities, and lossless sample compression along with background loading. There's simply too much to LOSE if Kontakt is completely dismissed as a viable option to port KA instruments on.
Spitfire31 wrote:I can't even begin to imagine the amount of development necessary to design a proprietary sample playing engine that even starts to approach Kontakt.
Look at EastWest. PLAY is still nowhere near Kontakt, no matter how you look at it.

@sirbellog

QIN is a native sampler engine which will be used on all our plugins. We'll start by releasing a new Chinee instrument soon, and then we'll upgrade all our previous plugins with the new QIN engine. QIN engine is the "major update" that I mentioned before. It's more versatile, more efficient, and gives you guys more things to play with in a creative way.

QIN will also be used for our future content too, obviously.

Oh BTW, the new release was delayed, so the date mentioned in the Rekkerd news was no longer accurate...:)
Last edited by sosayweall on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

I would like to use the chance once and for all to put an end to this "why don't you release content for Kontakt" thing.

We have no plans to make Kontakt content. Period.

That's our business decision, and it's not really open to discussion.

You guys need to give us some benefit of doubt. You really think we didn't evaluate the business possibility of Kontakt? Bear in mind: Kontakt is not an open platform. Kontakt is NI's platform. At some point, we will gladly port our stuff to Kontakt (and other sampler formats for the matter), but you can rest assured it's at the bottom of a very very long to-do list...;)

In the mean time, QIN fits our needs. QIN will do whatever we want it to do, for our very own development needs. QIN doesn't have to be and never will be another Kontakt, but Kontakt will not be QIN either.

Let's just move on and put this Kontakt topic behind, shall we? I have zero intention to participate in any further discussion about this. Our decision has already been made, there's no point in arguing it.

Well, fair enough, if the decision has been made already.

You may say that Kontakt is NI's platform, but I'd say it's pretty OPEN in fact, considering how many 3rd party libraries are made for it, and how many different formats it can load. :)

Nonetheless, even being at the bottom of the to-do list, it's still IN that list. So at least there's some hope left. :) When the time comes to do those conversions, if you need a KSP scripter, PM me and we'll see how can I help ;)

I just hope your QIN player won't have the same child diseases like EastWest's PLAY had, and to some extent STILL has! Good luck!
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sosayweall wrote:I would like to use the chance once and for all to put an end to this "why don't you release content for Kontakt" thing.

We have no plan to make Kontakt content. Period.

That's our business decision, and it's not really open to discussion.
Fair enough!

We're not trying to dictate to you, of course. That would be the eptiome of presumption and I hope you don't interpret it as such. But surely KA customers can be allowed to give their well-intentioned input to a friendly discussion?

For me, who has been on Macs since more than 20 years, it's of course a disappointment that you won't consider the rapidly growing crowd of Mac users when you launch your new engine.

I guess that the Mac has a very minor following in China (as yet) and your primary target market may well be the Chinese one, so then it certainly makes sense not to cater at all to Macers.

Many other developers, though, who started out as PC only devs (Melda and GSI, to just pick a few at random), are now building cross platform apps, presumably based on sound business considerations.

Anyway, good luck with Qin!

Best,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

@EvilDragon,

Different companies have different business views. The market will eventually tells us all who made the right decisions. There can be even more than one right decision. That's the interesting part of running a business.

Thank you for offering help on scripting. But it's not about scripting. At this point in time, we do not want to do things for Kontakt(or any other sampler format). What else can I do to get this point across? help!! :help: :P

@Joachim:

It's true that the Mac market is very tiny in China - but Apple has been very aggressive here promoting Mac as a music-making platform for the professionals in the past few years. Not sure about Mac's actual market share growth here though.

I do believe we need to go cross-platform and cater for the Mac users, and we'll try to do cross-platform for sure, but it's too early to even mention that we will work on that at this stage. One step a time is all we can say for now.
Last edited by sosayweall on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sosayweall wrote:We do not want to do things for Kontakt(or any other sampler format). What else can I do to get this point across? help!! :help: :P
Explaining it in more detail why than just "it was a business decision" could help ;) You gotta have a pretty good reason (explained by more than one generic sentence) NOT to support the most utilized sample playback instrument in the world, which is available in 32- and 64-bit, on PC and Mac, as a VST, AU and RTAS. That's all the groundwork already laid down finished for you, can't say that's not helpful at all.

But seriously, don't feel pressured or anything, I wish you good luck with QIN seriously! May you have lots of sales and satisfied users, and I wish none of the bad stuff that happened to EastWest with PLAY to happen to you.

Cheers!

Return to “Kong Audio”