Why don't more people use Tracktion Waveform?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Erisian wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:06 pm
hoxclab wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:00 pm It's horribly designed and it's not intuitive. It might possibly we the worst DAW out currently.
There are worse, honestly.
Which one(s)?

hoxclab wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:07 pm
hoxclab wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:00 pm It's horribly designed and it's not intuitive. It might possibly we the worst DAW out currently.
Which one(s)?
I don't really want to be knocking devs for no good reason, so I'll say that my experience with this one is as limited as my experience with Waveform and there are people who like it, so maybe it's just that I personally can't get along with it but it's here: https://www.multitrackstudio.com/

There was another one that I hated but I can't remember its name. My memory is getting worse these days. :(

Which one(s)?
All of them, it seems. You are flooding all DAW threads on KVR with the same negative crap so for me it looks like there is no DAW left that suits your workflow.

Benutzername wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:29 pm
Which one(s)?
All of them, it seems. You are flooding all DAW threads on KVR with the same negative crap so for me it looks like there is no DAW left that suits your workflow.
I suppose you'd rather it be an echo chamber in these threads? I am opinionated. I forgot in 2021 you are not allowed to voice your opinion, I apologize.

Once you "unlearn" how to use your previous DAW, WF is pretty intuitive. I'm enjoying trying it, no crashes yet (fingers crossed).

hoxclab wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:28 pm
Which one(s)?
I suppose you'd rather it be an echo chamber in these threads? I am opinionated. I forgot in 2021 you are not allowed to voice your opinion, I apologize.
you really should ask yourself if we are as dumb as you think we are, in fact we might be generous and you might be taxing that generosity...are you ever going to understand you agree to our rules every time you join? It seems hard to believe you would forget, the last time you joined was just 8 days ago and your first post was
hoxclab wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:39 pm Each DAW has its strength and weakness. I wish we could harness them into one. But alas we cannot.
wow, only eight days and such a turn around... :roll:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:41 pm
hoxclab wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:28 pm
Which one(s)?
you really should ask yourself if we are as dumb as you think we are, in fact we might be generous and you might be taxing that generosity...are you ever going to understand you agree to our rules every time you join? It seems hard to believe you would forget, the last time you joined was just 8 days ago and your first post was
hoxclab wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:39 pm Each DAW has its strength and weakness. I wish we could harness them into one. But alas we cannot.
wow, only eight days and such a turn around... :roll:
Are you using the royal we or are you more than one person? I'm curious are you speaking for yourself or a group of people? Two, three or four-hundred? I'm confused. :?

Mod Edit:

This thread is hilarious...and just goes to show how complex the science of cognitive performance in CHI is...since everyone likes to present anecdotal data points as universal truth, I can say that 15+ years ago, literally everyone I came into contact with thought nothing was easier to get up and running with than Tracktion and that it was the most accessible, intuitive, and immediate of all DAWs at the time...the only thing that came close was ableton because of its similarity to hardware grooveboxes...yet you still hear people complaining that ableton is hard to learn...
What I don't understand is trying different DAWs if you don't want to take the time to learn a new taxonomy and ontology, and open your mind to the new possibilities that it enables through forcing discovery of alternate paths to the same destination...if you want to do everything you are doing now in the exact same way, what the F are you switching DAWs for?...its fundamentally irrational...
All of the DAWs today are more than capable...collecting DAWs, like collecting plugins is as good a hobby as any other, as long as you realize what your real hobby is...people that have something to say musically and know where they want to go, figure out how to get there and finish songs...People can become fruitful in Tracktion very quickly, ...and do every day
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

How is Ableton similar to hardware grooveboxes? I can't imagine two things less similar, unless grooveboxes have changed a lot since I used to use them.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:41 am How is Ableton similar to hardware grooveboxes? I can't imagine two things less similar, unless grooveboxes have changed a lot since I used to use them.
If you control Live with a dedicated controller, you tend to limit yourself to the options a hardware groove box can deliver… :D

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:41 am How is Ableton similar to hardware grooveboxes? I can't imagine two things less similar, unless grooveboxes have changed a lot since I used to use them.
It's the other way around. Many modern groove boxes now have a clip launcher of some sort. The Akai Force even copies the entire concept of Live w/ Push because many artists use this combination on stage and in the studio. In this setup the DAW is just the firmware of the push controller. It's not that dissimilar to a groove box if you think about it.

The only classic groove boxes that come to mind that Live may have borrowed some concepts from are the old Yamaha QY sequencers. They also worked with (sort of) clips inside scenes and they also had linear tracks that ran side by side to the patterns. But the entire workflow was completely different (still great, though).

maybe there is a semantic thing going on around the term "groovebox"...isn't that what the roland mc and akai grooveboxes were about from the late 90s/early 2000s?...recording, sequencing, and triggering sounds with quantization sync so you could "groove" while you composed...
"Roland MC Sampling Groovebox combines the features of a synthesizer, sequencer, and sampler, with extensive hands-on control of both the sound engine and the sequencing flow. It was intended primarily for live performance of pre-programmed patterns"
the sequencer as an instrument....the media at the time characterized "session view" as a software implementation of a "groovebox"...which many people thought was more intuitive, immediate, accessible, and fun for more people than the traditional DAW sequencer paradigm...that was the supposed revolution...and everybody copied it...
Surprised that statement seemed controversial
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

I find the session view in Ableton indispensable. For me, any DAW that hopes to compete with it should have a comparable feature.

bermudagold wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:48 am I can say that 15+ years ago, literally everyone I came into contact with thought nothing was easier to get up and running with than Tracktion and that it was the most accessible, intuitive, and immediate of all DAWs at the time..
What's your point? Tracktion 1 was a radically different application with a radically different GUI, developed by someone else and sold by another company than the previous versions (Jules had a short stint much later on (and a long time ago), but he never brought it back on course). And since this thread is not about Tracktion 1 (which hasn't been available for more than a decade), your anecdote's relevance is pretty much abysmal, I'd say - unless of course your point is how much things can change over time and how sad it is that Tracktion's development steered so much away from what it once was within the last 15+ years - I'd agree with that...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

JamelaBanderson wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:50 pmI find the session view in Ableton indispensable. For me, any DAW that hopes to compete with it should have a comparable feature.
Really? I look at it and can't for the life of me see why I would want to use it. It seems so fiddly and the layout is, to me at least, unintuitive. It would make more sense to me if it was horizontal, rather than vertical, I think.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”