The Ableton Live Tips & Tricks Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Open invitation for people using Ableton Live:

use this thread for tips, tricks, rack sharing, preset sharing, tutorials, videos, links, etc. for Ableton Live.

I know we are many here in the forum, so it would be cool to see how much we can learn & share here.

Write the version of Live needed, in case of something specific to a version.

So, i'll start by sharing 2 simple effect racks i've made.

I've made a rack for creating a reverse reverb effect.
You need this free plug:

http://www.niallmoody.com/ndcplugs/reversinator.htm

Download that, and install it. Done?
Now, get the rack:

http://www.djgroovy.com/images/ableton/ ... Reverb.adg

It sounds great on melodic stuff, but also on drumloops.

You have macros for dry & wet level, so you can have just the reverse reverb and no dry signal.
The reverse macro lets you turn this into a regular reverb.
This is intended to be used as an insert, but if you want to use this as a send, drop the dry level to 0, and reverb wetness macro to 100.

There's also high & low cut, a compressor to smooth things a bit and the size control.

Quick audio example:

http://www.djgroovy.com/images/ableton/ ... Reverb.mp3

First you hear a dry guitar loop, then with the effect. Right after it there's a drumloop with the effect on/off automated.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Rack - One Knob Compressor (Live 7)

Just as it says above.
If you just want a quick way to compress something, this thing only has one knob. Nice & easy.
It gets really squashy at high levels.
I've made this with the new compressor in Live 7, altough i'm not using sidechain here, so i don't know if it'll work with earlier versions.

http://www.djgroovy.com/images/ableton/ ... ressor.adg

3 links to some great Ableton content providers:

Trackteam Audio

PureMagnetik

Covert Operators

Thanks for the racks ... d/ling for later :D

Closely guarded secret:

Randomized modulation for any automatable parameter (requires IAC bus or Midi Yoke)...

Say you have a simple delay on a track and you want to modulate the delay time. Create a midi track with an arpeggiator and a random midi plugin and route the output of the midi channel to your loop back device (IAC or Midi Yoke) with channel set to something other than 1. Turn on midi learn in Live and use a controller keyboard (set to the same channel as the track with the arp and random) to set a keyrange to modulate the delay time of the simple delay. To do this, click on the delay time parameter while midi learn is active, hold down the lowest key that the arp will send out and then tap the highest key the arp will send out. Now deactivate midi learn. Create a clip in the midi channel to trigger the arp and press play.

If you have done this correctly the note values sent out by the arp should be randomized and then looped back to modulate delay time of the simple delay. This same process can be used to modulate any parameter available to Live's midi learn function. =]

- Clicking on a clip, holding it, and then hitting Tab will instantly let you drop that clip in the other view from where you are.

- Track meters in Session view can be pulled out to the right in order to reveal number markings on the meters if the meters are extended vertically.

- Adjusting the Release all the way up (to 60.0s) is the way to get Simpler/Sampler to trigger in "one shot" mode, playing the entire sample.

nice!

keep this on page 1

Nice ones, now we're talking, gotta try that random mod thing.

How to "play" the arrangement more or less like the session view, not in the sense of launching clips, but scenes.
This is usefull after you've made an arrangement but you're not sure about it and want to try moving sections around. This way you can try any combination, whithout actually changing anything.

On the start of each new section of the arrangement, set a locator. Name it if you want, i recomend it.
Midi map the locators to midi notes or buttons or keymap to the qwerty keyboard.
Set your global quantise.
Press play... now you can "play" the arrangement, and it's quantised.

Something that not many know about:

Select a bunch of notes in the piano roll.
Right click and select stretch notes.
2 markers appear at both sides of the selected notes, move those around and your notes become elastic, it's kind of warp markers for midi.
If you place the 2nd marker before the first, you effectively reverse the order of the notes.

wow
nice one

I forgot to say thanks for this thread btw

I became a puremagnetik subscriber not long after reading it

Yup, there's also some modifiers to for moving thoses 2 markers, quantized to the beat or not. Ctrl and alt. Shift let you move the marker around.
djgroovy wrote:Something that not many know about:

Select a bunch of notes in the piano roll.
Right click and select stretch notes.
2 markers appear at both sides of the selected notes, move those around and your notes become elastic, it's kind of warp markers for midi.
If you place the 2nd marker before the first, you effectively reverse the order of the notes.

Monday bump.

The Covert Operators have made some nice video arpeggiator tutorials and others.
I've purchased a number of their products, as much to learn (in the same way that I'll look at Combinator's closely in Reason).
Live is so intuitive and fresh air when I go to it after having worked in Cubase 3 and 4. I go back to Cubase less and less.

Not really secret but maybe the one or other doesn't know:
RESAMPLING functionality:
I.e. if you have a problem with a plugin when rendering, just create a new audio-track and select as it's track input the RESAMPLING option. This track then uses the master-track's output as input.

if you have a korg padkontrol the covert operators have an app called pk[squared] that makes using it with live a lot nicer

and a +1 for puremagnetik

good thread

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”