Digital Performer 8 Goes Windows!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote:
christianmusicmaker wrote:Wow. DP on Windows now? I guess MOTU might have been struggling with MAC sales competing with Apple and a cheaper Logic, Mainstage e.t.c Maybe they had to move to Windows to widen their target market.
Apple started off in OSX with audio as a huge priority, with Core MIDI and Audio no need for third party drivers for many devices. Plus AU and inter application MIDI built right in, which also works to network MIDI over ethernet etc. Then they pretty much haven't updated AU for anything but 64 bit really, VST 3 has passed it up. Logic keeps getting dropped in price, and there are rumors that the Mac Pros are on their way out. Apple may not be getting rid of them, but they haven't denied the rumors, so that's got to be tough on MOTU etc.
DP is a desktop DAW, it shines on fast machines, so if Apple decides that the Pro line is out and if you want to do serious work get a Mac Mini server farm etc. then I don't blame MOTU. What Apple should have done years ago IMO is allowed people to use OSX on PC's, not licensed to third party manufacturers, but allow people to roll their own PC with OSX on it legally and easily.
You pretty much nailed my own concerns. If Steinberg and Appple had reunited, and came with a common platform, we could have something like MIDI for plug-ins right now. But Apple did exactly the opposite, and decided to reinvent the wheel, abandoning it little after that, as they did many times before with other things. They were never commited to music production, because they were never a music company, they were and are a corporation, with interests in many areas, and regarding music, it's mainly distribution, not production.
Steinberg/Yamaha, OTOH, are and have always been deeply interested in music production. If I have to choose, the choice seems pretty clear to me.
Fernando (FMR)

Cool.

fmr wrote: Regarding the documentation, I've heard complaints from developers, so, that may not be exactly as well documented as you pretend. And it looks pretty much as an abandoned spec, as is the MIDI manager in OS X. Apple seems to don't are about serious computers anymore, rather ther ixxx stuff.
So, if I were a developer, depending on a serious Pro platform, I would be concerned about my future.
Again, it was Urs who stated flatly that AU plug in developing was laid out much better for a new developer when it came out, and it got him interested in developing plug ins. I'll trust him over random statements made by developers that likely started in VST Windows and of course found problems with learning the wheel all over again for Apple. :)

Still nothing oficial regarding Digital Performer 8. What's the matter with these guys? They are showing it, yet they say nothing about it?
Fernando (FMR)

This is exactly what I was thinking of.
hibidy wrote:Interesting. But since motu has always had a "mac is better" tude, I wonder why?

Couldn't have anything to do with the rumors that apple is downsizing their imac/macpro/macbookpro line?

fmr wrote: If Steinberg and Appple...
Steinberg/Yamaha, OTOH, are and have always been deeply interested in music production. If I have to choose, the choice seems pretty clear to me.
But they do not make operating systems or computers.

Obviously Apple is going to dump audio in favour of smell and taste, mostly aimed at providing cookery-related content.

The iSmell something fishy and iTaste something crap apps are just around the corner.

The Thunderbold ports will get a smell and taste detection upgrade which will allow you to follow cookery programs with more interest.

Audio is out, Marco Pierre is in.
Get used to it.

Alternatively, Apple are going to buy Bigwig.. erm.. Bitwig, drop Logic, call it iBitMeWig and aim it at the Irish folk dance scene.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I wonder if the price will be lowered any on DP?

I think Apple is becoming two different companies. They have the ever increasing content consumer line of products iPod, iPad, iPhone, iMac, etc. And they have the seemingly shrinking content creation side with the MBP, the MP, Final Cut and Logic.

Apple appears to be distancing itself from the content creation side more since the content consumer side is generating huge revenue... and I think content creation is becoming a more competitive market. There are a ton of products out there that all do the same thing and connect with the same 3rd party synths and effects. Having a product with a lot of competitors is fine for things like the iPhone (where you have multi-millions of customers) but not so much when the market consists of only a few hundred thousand customers total. Perhaps this is all obvious and I'm the last to see it though. :hihi:

fmr wrote: Apple seems to don't are about serious computers anymore, rather ther ixxx stuff.

It's pretty obvious that Apple never really cared about anything else than maximizing their own profit by catering their stupid marketing to the weak&gullible. I think if you fall for a company like this and hence support them you deserve all the shit they throw at you - and they threw a lot of shit towards both customers and developers over the years.

In an ideal world, they would have gone into insolvency ten years ago.

Thus I can only congratulate Motu for finally seeing the light and hope they'll stop developing for OSX pretty soonish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFRhSPNicgc
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

spaceman wrote:....call it iBitMeWig and aim it at the Irish folk dance scene.
:lol:

jens wrote: It's pretty obvious that Apple never really cared about anything else than maximizing their own profit by catering their stupid marketing to the weak&gullible. I think if you fall for a company like this and hence support them you deserve all the shit they throw at you - and they threw a lot of shit towards both customers and developers over the years.

In an ideal world, they would have gone into insolvency ten years ago.
And how has that ever hurt you?
Have you ever tried ignoring their products and not use them?
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

jancivil wrote:
fmr wrote: If Steinberg and Appple...
But they do not make operating systems or computers.
But they (specially Steinberg) have been paved the way for real time editing and processing using the computers and operating systems available. VST and ASIO were both created by Steinberg. IMO, that's way more important than anything Apple came with.
Of course, Steinberg will always look suspicious to it's competitors, but, again, isn't Apple also a competitor? What is Logic, MainStage, Final Cut? Do you really believe they will always release everything to it's competitors?
Fernando (FMR)

spaceman wrote:I took the bait!
Don't take the bait spaceman, don't do it! :cry:

urock wrote:and 64 bit.

http://www.macmusic.org/news/view.php/lang/en/id/11097/

Look here (eventually): www.motu.com
:o

mgpqa1 wrote:Never say never, I suppose.

If only Logic would make a return to Windows someday...

Any DP users excited about this? It's the one DAW I haven't tried yet.
NO WAY. after what they did to windows users! id probably buy it like most people would :hihi: and they would most likely do the same damn thing :roll:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”