Update: Cubase 6.5 available (49,99€)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Compyfox wrote:
MickGael wrote:
Compyfox wrote:I have a standalone (open source!) FLAC decoder/encoder (24bit capable).(
Compyfox, curious as to what you are using?
Why FLAC of course (Sourceforge) with the free FLAC frontend - and this for over half a decade now. Granted, not "native" in Cubase (reading and writing, but heck for transfering files it's more than suitable.
Thanks. I'm aware of that. I thought perhaps there was a slightly more elegant version that had escaped my attention. :)
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

Wow Flac support finally!! \o/

No interest in the synths though.. so 50e feels a bit steep for just a format update.. even so when the format is free itself, and supported by everything else by default :P
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Can't seem to add the 6.5 update to cart here (Australia), it shows the price in EUR when the rest of the products are in AUD.

The synth looks and sounds great in the video clip. I especially like the phase mode on the oscillator that's demonstrated very very briefly when the presenter is switching modes. Could use more of that grit for sure :)

Aah, already reported http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 19&t=19785

I shall wait patiently :o

Compyfox wrote: I still don't use [...] their Mashup crap
Loopmash is far from crap, you just don't use it the way it's intended for 8)

4damind wrote:There is some bug with the Windows installer this time (CRC error while decompressing archive). But the new features are worth the update price. Great stuff with better comping, flac, soundcloud, some new filters, 2 new synth... :love:
Trance Euphoria wrote:Yup, theres defo a bug crc failure, hope they sort this asap :)
Check this out fellas :)

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 19&t=19790

budweiser wrote:Loopmash is far from crap, you just don't use it the way it's intended for 8)
I don't need to either. I'm using RMX for all my loop mashing, I'm not into stuff like Madeon does. Clearly, all these little "toys" that got thrown in are to appeal the SEQUEL users to jump up to Cubase, and the Cubase users should jump up to Nuendo.

No wonder that Cubase still has the tag "program for beginners", even though it was once the forerunner of the digital music making industry (along with PT and Logic). It still is a great program, hence why I'm using it to this day over everything else, but... are we really forced to use all this... nonsense if there is better stuff around?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I personnaly achieve with loopmash results i can't achieve with nothing else.. In fact, loopmash and arranger view are the only tools that prevents me from switching to a more "freeze" friendly daw like samplitude or studio one (or sonar that is slowly becoming more and more reliable)
Was not aware about the madeon phenomen.. Funny !! Seems endorsed by novation. :)
Last edited by budweiser on Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No wonder that Cubase still has the tag "program for beginners",
15 years old boys tinkering in bedrooms with Cubase probably 'tag' it a "program for beginners" as they trade gear flames rather than being productive. Professional artists and recording studios just use it to make commercial records.

Hmmmmmm. The update is cheaper than I thought it would be. But there is nothing I really need.

The morph filter is cool but I already have Filterscape which does the same thing but with 4 filter types instead of 2, individual panning for all 4 filter types (which is an amazing feature by the way), the morphable EQ and a lot of other cool stuff, so I don't really have a use for the morph filter but it's a cool and useful thing if you don't have something like that already :)

I don't have a use for the retro synth either....I guess no one has since there are many free and probably better alternatives available (Tyrell N6 for example).
And judging from the demo sounds it doesn't really sound that good.

Padshop is a joke without sample import (Seriously Steinberg?).

Soundcloud export is a nice gimmick. I'm lazy, but not THAT lazy to be honest :hihi:
I'd probably never use it.

FLAC export is nice! But the only time I use FLAC is when I upload something to Bandcamp and, well, Bandcamp does the conversion for me.
It's a really nice feature to be able to record directly in FLAC format though! I have only 1GB RAM (You are allowed to laugh now :hihi:) so this would be the only real improvement for me.
I'm not really sure I'd need it though since I rarely use audio....maybe this feature would change that.....dunno.

Conclusion: I won't update :)

Cheers
Dennis

The new synth like the Retrologue are not bad! Don't judge only because of the audio demos. IMO it's some of the first synth in Cubase where I have interest to use it.
8x Unison with detune, sub-oscillators, sync, good sounding filters, modulation matrix, delay, chorus... This is not the old Steinberg crap, it remembers more to actual released synth.

Same with Padshop.. Only played a bit with the presets. This is a interesting little beast. Needs some time to get the idea behind this granular synthesis but it's not bad!

SLiC wrote:
No wonder that Cubase still has the tag "program for beginners",
15 years old boys tinkering in bedrooms with Cubase probably 'tag' it a "program for beginners" as they trade gear flames rather than being productive. Professional artists and recording studios just use it to make commercial records.
Well said. Cubase is regarded as one of the best DAWs on the market, ahead of Logic and ProTools in many areas (audio editing is better than Logic, MIDI editing is better than ProTools).

Seriously I don't understand what's up with the Cubase bashing on VkR ...

SLiC wrote:Professional artists and recording studios just use it to make commercial records.
Not outside Germany it seems. Warning, there is some sarcasm behind that comment!

Bronto Scorpio wrote:Conclusion: I won't update :)
Same here.

I'm not ditching the pricetag, but I definitely despise the offerings.

I don't need SoundCloud, I'm not chinese, I don't need the ReWire features (last time I used it while ReBirth was still "usable"), the filters are a joke (you get better ones in other tools), the signature presets for the ampfarm are not really a selling point either (er... IKM and Line6 offer way more - for free!). Also, FLAC is free, though it is cool to use it natively within Cubase now - but here I also wish for other formats like Multi OGG (Audacity) and HD-AAC (Fraunhofer) as ultimate standard.

I don't want to ditch the synths either, but I have a couple of major problems with it.

1) how long will they live on? Steinberg has a trend of releasing synths, then ultimately ditch them (Virtual Guitarist, XPhraze, Waldorf Edition, Voice Machine anyone?)

2) there are plenty of alternatives out that sound just as good or better (URS and Spectrasonics come to mind), they are also cross platform and can be used outside of Cubase!

3) PADSHOP would sell better, if you can import own samples as waverom

4) will they bundle it with Cubase 7 as well? If so, is the update worth it?

5) Speaking of bundling software - now that Cubase 6.5 is out, who can guarantee us, that 6.5 will live on another one to two years until Cubase 7 will be released? Steinberg is known to throw out a .5 version, then ultimately ditch it and leave it buggy and instead selling a next major version

These are all valid points that we need to consider.

Now, if Steinberg would release a 25bucks .5 version with just the maintenance updates (the multi lane thing, the comp mode, all bugfixes, etc) - I'd be fine. Steinberg would still get their funds and I can live without all that other stuff. But I don't think this will ever happen.

I'll keep an eye on this. But the more I read about the new tools, the less they interest me, the even more less I want to update and rather wait for the major release. Why can other firms to that better than Steinberg and AVID? Oh wait... Cakewalk and Apple? Er... no.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I am assuming we will get all this stuff free when we upgrade to 7 in another 6-12 months? I would love a 'take all the toys out' cheaper upgrade; its all good- amp effects, synths etc if you are just starting out; great value- but I have everything I need in VST form.

Funny how the inventors of the VST are now trying to bundle everything in to make a self contained recording enviroment, if I wanted that I was use Reason ;-)

I think I can wait.... + 1 on the free upgrade sans toys....

I would just do the free bug update, but I need the upgraded comping. Hopefully comping is usable now. It sucked to have to use 5 for tracking takes, comping, then export to 6 for mixing.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

soundpalace wrote:
4damind wrote:There is some bug with the Windows installer this time (CRC error while decompressing archive). But the new features are worth the update price. Great stuff with better comping, flac, soundcloud, some new filters, 2 new synth... :love:
Trance Euphoria wrote:Yup, theres defo a bug crc failure, hope they sort this asap :)
Check this out fellas :)

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 19&t=19790
thanks for the link. Couldnt believe I spent hours downloading it before just for there to be CRC failures :( not a good start

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”