[BIAS Inc. has closed; authorization, updates still available for now]

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Master Perfection Suite Peak PitchCraft EZ SoundSoap SoundSoap Pro

and this is why challenge_response is the worst form of copy protection

dongles4ever!

Has any owner of a Bias Inc. license contacted the company yet? Seems the obvious way to move forward with this.
ttoz wrote:Hey.. i have no idea what went down or why posts were deleted which would seem weird in an information topic like this?
antithesist completely misunderstood the post I made concerning fixing a bit of Wikipedia vandalism, declared it was a "stupid joke" instead of a factual piece of information, refused to accept my explanation, took offense (quite a few doses), became hostile, went on a deleting spree, and demanded that the entire thread be deleted, not just his (or her?) own posts. antithesist may be angry at me if that pleases him or her, but I won't return the anger. I've no reason to do so. It would be pointless.

However, as I've explained several times, I'm not going to throw everyone else's posts in the garbage pail simply because antithesist misinterpreted my comment and took false umbrage. The information is valuable to other people and that takes priority.

antithesist did the forum a favor by posting the news in the first place. I'd like to leave it at that and let those who are affected work out what to do next. I'll act as a neutral intermediary if needed.

oh i get it now, how silly..

of the op that is..

that was TOO sensitive anti-t.. although i know you are rightfully upset that bias has gone belly up, of course!

anyway way, @ debra, there is no way i'd buy software that uses C/R that has been openly abandoned.

I'd never be able to resell it :hihi:

(yes i can even laugh at myself sometimes)

ttoz wrote:Hey.. i have no idea what went down or why posts were deleted which would seem weird in an information topic like this?

but regardless this is SAD!

i literally was just thinking about Bias about 2 minutes before i saw this.. i haven't thought about bias in AGES and they pop into my head for some unknown reason then i see this. I am starting to spook myself out with my feelings.

LOL aside, i am actually surprised.. WOW...

And i am sorry for whomever has lost their job and income.

It just shows you, these things can happen at anytime.

Furthermore it shows, that C/R is the most evil form of copy protection in existence, i have said it once, twice, thrice, and will say it again.
I totally agree with all that was said here.

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Meffy wrote:Has any owner of a Bias Inc. license contacted the company yet? Seems the obvious way to move forward with this.
antithesist completely misunderstood the post I made concerning fixing a bit of Wikipedia vandalism, declared it was a "stupid joke" instead of a factual piece of information, refused to accept my explanation, took offense (quite a few doses), became hostile, went on a deleting spree, and demanded that the entire thread be deleted, not just his (or her?) own posts. antithesist may be angry at me if that pleases him or her, but I won't return the anger. I've no reason to do so. It would be pointless.

However, as I've explained several times, I'm not going to throw everyone else's posts in the garbage pail simply because antithesist misinterpreted my comment and took false umbrage. The information is valuable to other people and that takes priority.

antithesist did the forum a favor by posting the news in the first place. I'd like to leave it at that and let those who are affected work out what to do next. I'll act as a neutral intermediary if needed.
I am really happy that you are not returning the anger. That is what makes a good moderator. :-) FWIW, I think you are doing a good job. :-)

I also agree that antithesist was doing everyone a service for notifying KVR of this unfortunate event. At some point, I think it would be very beneficial to all if there was a thread opened and "stickied" that posted the company, software, and details of the situation of C/R software that has become unauthorizable. "Lest we forget...."

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

reminds me of kjaerhus audio a while back, ive still got my license files for GAC+ GOC which are incredibly good plugins. Im glad to say my license files still work to authorize the plugs but they are absolutely worthless...

ttoz wrote:@ debra, there is no way i'd buy software that uses C/R that has been openly abandoned.

I'd never be able to resell it :hihi:
:lol: drat, my evil plan has been thwarted :hihi:

ChiTown24 wrote:and this is why challenge_response is the worst form of copy protection

dongles4ever!
I doubt iLok or whoever would issue licenses on behalf of a company that doesn't exist. I could be wrong, but I bet iLok requires an active license agreement with actual, real-life vendors in order to utilize their "service" of license distribution and authorization.

Does anybody have an iLok w/ a license from phantom corporation?

Just curious...

kbaccki wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:and this is why challenge_response is the worst form of copy protection

dongles4ever!
I doubt iLok or whoever would issue licenses on behalf of a company that doesn't exist. I could be wrong, but I bet iLok requires an active license agreement with actual, real-life vendors in order to utilize their "service" of license distribution and authorization.

Just curious...
I have iLok licenses for a whole pile of RNDigital (Roger Nichols Digital) plug-ins. I can still use them.

Those people who chose the C/R option with RNDigital when they registered are stuffed. RNDigital didn't even have the courtesy to leave the license server up.

whitecat.tv wrote:
kbaccki wrote:

dongles4ever!

Just curious...
I have iLok licenses for a whole pile of RNDigital (Roger Nichols Digital) plug-ins. I can still use them.

Those people who chose the C/R option with RNDigital when they registered are stuffed. RNDigital didn't even have the courtesy to leave the license server up.
Got it. +1 for dongles. -1 for C/R.

Actually, I hate both. License file all the way. But I'm finally warming up to USB 2.0, so we'll see how it goes...

Well, I did try to call, and did send an email. The call went straight to voicemail. Auto-reponse so far from email.
Surfing, skateboarding, Music Making Man and tech fool.
New Album! KnowledgeBass

Thanks for trying. Give it some time, not likely to get a fast response if one does come at all.

Intended joke or not, it was stupid and had no relevance to the topic. I dare say you were trying to show how clever you are, and wouldn't have corrected or mentioned it if it hadn't be something goofy. Then you proceeded to tell me what I should do and assumed this and conjectured that. Don't get me started on the others that piled on. I threw you guys some fresh meat within minutes of the website change and y'all done dropped it.

@antithesist: The part of this discussion that I'm missing is this--what was this hack or hoax or whatever that was on Wikipedia? That part is missing from this story. What was the comment that was so bad that Meffy made? I didn't get to read that either. What I am seeing is a very angry person, and I'm just trying to understand why, and if it is called for or not. Rather than getting angry, explain yourself so that we'll understand.

--Sean

Remote psychoanalysis rarely works. :-} Didn't work this time either. Others in the thread picked up the ball and have been running with it. Join them, and see what can be done.

@audiojunkie: The likeliest cause in my estimation? After learning more, I figure the Wikipepdia page thing was just some random schoolkid out to graffitize a random page, from the looks of it. Check out the history of the page and you'll see my edit. I doubt it had anything to do with the company's troubles, detractors, supporters, or anything else. Hardly damaging, just... silly and dumb. Undone now.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”