Ableton Live 9 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Interesting. Might consider this for a Christmas prezzie :hihi:

Mogular wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
I hope folk who already own the v8 Suite and M4L dont get shanked on the upgrade price.
I just checked my account and I can upgrade to the full suite for US$164 (I already own Live 8, Max4Live and Sampler). That is an incredible price, I am sure I have paid more than that for individual upgrades in the past. :o
thats the upgrade from Live8 to Live8 Suite with a free upgrade to Live 9, though, isnt it?

there's no pricing for a Live8 Suite to Live9 Suite upgrade.
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Got distracted scoping the 'Push' controller :love: gorgeous!

May be time to (hopefully) 'upgrade' from Live 7.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Anyone who uses live, can you tell me what it's like on comparison to a linear DAW?

I am very happy with Cubase as a linear DAW, but really curious to work with clips and loops this way and launch them. The included effects and everything else look really neat too.

Can you tell me how live feels to use it everyday work? Does it really help inspiration or does it get in the way?

So many who produce dance use Ableton, it seems the right tool for the job.

Sami
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

whyterabbyt wrote:
thats the upgrade from Live8 to Live8 Suite with a free upgrade to Live 9, though, isnt it?

Yes that's correct.

mine (suite boxed, no m4l) shows $299 to upgrade to suite 9. not too bad considering what's in there.

not sure if they will improve that to account for suite boxed vs. suite download...

whyterabbyt wrote:
Mogular wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
I hope folk who already own the v8 Suite and M4L dont get shanked on the upgrade price.
I just checked my account and I can upgrade to the full suite for US$164 (I already own Live 8, Max4Live and Sampler). That is an incredible price, I am sure I have paid more than that for individual upgrades in the past. :o

You have to log in to see your upgrade offer...

i could upgrade for 249€ (suite9) or 698€ (suite9+push) ....

looks like push is the "maschine" for live :love:

bronxsound wrote:Ableton did it... released before Bitwig :hihi:
beta testing of the update is set to begin shortly and we can expect a release in the first quarter of 2013

I don't know, right off the bat, it doesn't look very interesting to me. Seems like a pretty light update:

The automation thing that everyone wanted
Some browser updates
The Glue integrated (pretty cool, I must admit)
Some minor EQ/comp/gate updates
Some updated sounds in the library

Most of the MIDI editing features they are talking about have been there for a while, like note stretching, and double/half timing.

Definitely not an instant upgrade for me. I will have to play around with it when it comes out and see what's what, but overall I am pretty happy with version 8 now that it is 64-bit. $160 feels like a pretty steep price for what feels more like a ".5" update to me, but we'll see.

Push looks pretty cool... Kind of like Ableton/Akai's answer to Maschine. Not really anything I personally would use, but pretty cool looking stuff nonetheless.

edit: however, I can upgrade my standard 8 to Suite 8 for $194, and then get a free upgrade to Suite 9. That actually does sound like a pretty nice deal. Thanks whyterabbit for making aware of that fact. I had missed that.
Last edited by sockofgold on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fugazi81 wrote:You have to log in to see your upgrade offer...
yes, i know. you're missing my point, by a mile. the upgrades are for upgrading one level of version 8 to a different level of version 8, with a free copy of the version 9 of the level you buy.

but i already have the v8 of the suite, so there's no higher level to get, ergo there's no price for that. and theres no direct version 8 to version 9 pricing.

follow?

and for me, i already paid for suite 8 and M4L separately. In fact because I own M4L and MAX/MSP6, I can already run Max6 in Live. So if my upgrade to v9 of the Suite costs the same as someone who didnt already own M4L, I'd effectively be paying again for something Ive already got.

Given that MAX/MSP 6 cost half of what MAX/MSP5 cost, but I still had to pay to upgrade to 6, that'd feel a lot like being shanked on MAX6 twice.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Aiynzahev wrote:Anyone who uses live, can you tell me what it's like on comparison to a linear DAW?

I am very happy with Cubase as a linear DAW, but really curious to work with clips and loops this way and launch them. The included effects and everything else look really neat too.

Can you tell me how live feels to use it everyday work? Does it really help inspiration or does it get in the way?

So many who produce dance use Ableton, it seems the right tool for the job.

Sami
I just sold my copy, so my opinion is not that of a raging Ableton fan. There were so many bugs in Live 8 (that they did apologise for in their own way), that it was almost unusable for me for quite some time. In that time, I just stopped using it and moved on. The non linear thing is quite good. It can be an inspiration if you want to work that way. You can still use it as a linear sequencer, it's just not really a strength area for it. In no way does it compare with a program like Cubase for Midi or for linear sequencing.
If you are happy to use it as a scratchpad or record your live looped performances, then go for it.
What turned me off was the: bad mixing paradigm (poor metering, inability to see all fx at once across tracks), the look and feel (I just got sick of geometric shapes), the bugs (too many crashes in Live 8), poor midi, and the whole Live laptop/electro/techno thing...
In the end, I'm just more of a linear guy and Live has weaknesses in that area.
For me, Live 9 looks more of the same.
Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio : Reason 10

Edit

A nice update, audio to midi is nice as is Max4Live as standard, but I would expect more, specially after so much time.

A nice update but nothing major IMO, it will not be a big reason for a upgrade...

Anyway, quite sad that there isnt a Linux version, at least I hope that it plays nice with WINE.

Any news on the copy protection system?
Last edited by pc999 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whyterabbyt wrote:
fugazi81 wrote:You have to log in to see your upgrade offer...
yes, i know. you're missing my point, by a mile. the upgrades are for upgrading one level of version 8 to a different level of version 8, with a free copy of the version 9 of the level you buy.

but i already have the v8 of the suite, so there's no higher level to get, ergo there's no price for that. and theres no direct version 8 to version 9 pricing.

follow?

and for me, i already paid for suite 8 and M4L separately. In fact because I own M4L and MAX/MSP6, I can already run Max6 in Live. So if my upgrade to v9 of the Suite costs the same as someone who didnt already own M4L, I'd effectively be paying again for something Ive already got.

Given that MAX/MSP 6 cost half of what MAX/MSP5 cost, but I still had to pay to upgrade to 6, that'd feel a lot like being shanked on MAX6 twice.
"Already own Live? Log in to see your upgrade offers."

There are two prices 599€ (not logged in) and
249€ (after i logged in)

on the site it states
"These are your best available upgrade offers."

I hope you get a even better price, because you own Max4Live already?

I hope i don't hurt your feelings.. Just want to help.
Last edited by fugazi81 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/ ... more-43695
This alone makes me wish I used Ableton Live!

As a suite owner who does not own M4L, even I consider $300 a slightly high price for upgrading.

And the upgrade so far seems pretty meh .. surely they couldn't have taken three years for this. Unless there's a lot of under-the-hood improvements, and more info to be released as we get closer to the release date.

Its cool to get M4L and the additional packs by upgrading, but all these addons have existed for years. If there is no more news to come, I won't be rushing to upgrade, and will wait till Ableton have a sale.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”