Ableton Live 9 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, now this is really odd pricing ... If someone owns Live 8 now, they can upgrade to Suite 8 now for 164 euros, and get Suite 9 for free upon release.

And if you (like me) own suite 8, then it seems the only option is to upgrade for 249 euros when its released. You've got to be kidding me. This has to be a mistake.

Live 9 has a new controller called Push

Live 9 features page
https://www.ableton.com/en/live/new-in-9/

Live 9 features video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF9eY06 ... r_embedded#!
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"What's Not in Live 9

This isn't a review; the software isn't out yet. But I might as well list some features that could be on your wish list that aren't there:

Quantization and grids still lack anything beyond the most basic rhythmic units. I'm going to keep complaining about this; hey, they did eventually give us meter changes in Scenes. Until then, Ableton still isn't going to be able to pass my Music Theory I course. (Whew, that does remind me that I'm glad I'm not teaching Music Theory I any more.) Speaking of Scenes…

Scenes aren't any smarter. It still seems to me that this feature needs attention; Follow Actions in Scenes, for instance, seem a no brainer.

MIDI mapping could still benefit from some tweaks. (It seems it's still impossible to enter in Control Changes manually, unless I've missed something. For controllers that send several messages at once, that makes MIDI mapping difficult. Maybe Ableton wants to sneak this in before Q1. I'll buy champagne for the engineers, and we can map until dawn.)

The user interface has mostly subtle improvements, not a complete overhaul - if that's something you wanted. Actually, I love the light gray theme and the fact that they've evened out some borders and made other improvements. I love that Live's interface has stood the test of time; I still like seeing it on my screen. If they can include a "night vision," onstage/club-friendly skin by the time they ship, I'm happy.

DJs have long asked for the ability to use cue points inside clips, and to see waveform displays of more than one playing clip; neither those features is available. In fact, there really hasn't been anything arguably geared directly at DJs in Live other than the crossfader (and, separately, crossfader curves). That hasn't stopped Live from becoming immensely popular among DJs, but it means Traktor and Serato and the like remain fairly safe. I'll defend this as a feature request, though, beyond just niche appeal. I can imagine anyone playing live wants the ability to use mappable cues inside clips, and more waveform views would always be nice - particularly given that screens are generally higher-resolution than when Live first shipped.

For those of you buying high-end new Macs, there's no Retina Display support. (I may have to cue up worldstiniestviolin.als to lament your pain. Okay, seriously, yes, this does make sense to support, and maybe eventually we'll even be able to afford these machines. Ahem.)"

memyselfandus wrote:"What's Not in My Post
credit for the post you just liberally cut-and-pasted without attribution. lazy bastard.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/10/a ... n-details/
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

maschinelf wrote:Ok, now this is really odd pricing ... If someone owns Live 8 now, they can upgrade to Suite 8 now for 164 euros, and get Suite 9 for free upon release.

And if you (like me) own suite 8, then it seems the only option is to upgrade for 249 euros when its released. You've got to be kidding me. This has to be a mistake.
yup, doesnt seem quite right. thinking about it, wasnt there this same sort of confusion when 8 came out?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

maschinelf wrote:Ok, now this is really odd pricing ... If someone owns Live 8 now, they can upgrade to Suite 8 now for 164 euros, and get Suite 9 for free upon release.

+1

Good news :)

Edit: except the whack upgrade pricing. That will no doubt get cleared up though, Well it better had!
Last edited by Dean Aka Nekro on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ULAS wrote:

+1
+1. Also have Live8 Suite + M4L already. How can my upgrade be more expensive than if you have just Live8 now???

whyterabbyt wrote:So what happens to my 'existing' extra instruments if I 'downgrade' to the 'regular' version, anyone know from previous upgrades (7 to 8, say?) And what happens to my working MAX6 M4L?
As much as I love Live (I've been using it for almost a decade now :shock: ) I really, really don't like the idea of "repaying for your instruments" in any such Suite/Bundle/Whatever pricing model. I think that's the best argument for using high quality 3rd party instruments instead of the Suite ones, you can keep using them over version changes without paying extra.

In reality, when I upgrade it will still be the Suite for sure :P, but it's definitely something to comment on.

whyterabbyt wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:"What's Not in My Post
credit for the post you just liberally cut-and-pasted without attribution. lazy bastard.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/10/a ... n-details/
thanks for adding the link. not awake yet :oops:

Guenon wrote:Mmmh... I have licenses for Live Suite 8 and M4L, and my Suite 9 upgrade offer is 199 euros (about $259). I think that's somewhat steep.
totally agree.
i have Suite+M4Live and it seems to much as an upgrade fee.

a.

lalo wrote:
Guenon wrote:Mmmh... I have licenses for Live Suite 8 and M4L, and my Suite 9 upgrade offer is 199 euros (about $259). I think that's somewhat steep.
totally agree.
i have Suite+M4Live and it seems to much as an upgrade fee.

a.
Me too.
No doubt theyll respond to this with an offer
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Ok, with this ableton have combatted most of my issues with the change I had from logic to ableton, specifically the no built in convolution reverb and really quite poor midi manipulation.

The curves... Nice but it'll be good to see if they've put in an automation plugin delay compensation because otherwise if you use a high latency plugin you still have to move your curve somewhere that looks horribly inaccurate and no amount of nice curves will fix that.

The UI improvements on compressor, gate and eq8 look great. Ideal in fact and having a version of the gule in there will be great.

The new browser.... well, after playing with renoise and how that now handles vsts, they had to do something like that because if you're like me and spend an offensive amount of money on plugins it's difficult as hell to find your stuff if you're a lazy bastard like me and don't put it in nice folders.

And the pitch to midi stuff... well, that saves me buying melodyne DNA cos thats what i wanted it for.

All in all you're damn right I'm upgrading.

No upgrade path from Live Intro 8 to Intro 9?
The only way to move to Intro 9 is to buy it new again!
Thanks for nothing :o

If that's the case :nutter: , my Suite license is going for sale, collect and invest in BitWig no matter what.

GREED!!! :x
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”