The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6184 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:51 am

ZenPunkHippy wrote:@trimph1 :tu:

For people complaining about PDC fail, official response from Bitwig in this thread:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5692508
dom@bitwig wrote:Just a quick note, so nobody has to panic: the pdc is designed to compensate the audio, the automation, the timing information for plugins. Most of it works great, but there's currently a bug with the last one, for example and there might be other scenarios that don't behave correctly, as pdc and time/routing stuff can be a real pita :) Anyway, the problems are not by design but bugs and we will check out all scenarios that don't work as they should and fix it.
Normally everything that can be reproduced reliable is fixable, esp. as the code base is still fresh...

Cheers,
Dom
Thank goodness. I really thought that was an over site rather than a bug. Good on ya Bitwig.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

tonkatodd
KVRist
305 posts since 25 Jun, 2010

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:52 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tronam wrote: * Each track can be individually set to Pre or Post fader for effect sends (unlike Live)
Live lets you do this as well.
How can you do that in Live? I thought all the sends in a row had to be pre or post for every track. Sold Ableton because of that and the merging to midi channel 1 thing. If there is a way to do the pre post thing for each individual track I would love to know.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6184 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:47 am

tonkatodd wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tronam wrote: * Each track can be individually set to Pre or Post fader for effect sends (unlike Live)
Live lets you do this as well.
How can you do that in Live? I thought all the sends in a row had to be pre or post for every track. Sold Ableton because of that and the merging to midi channel 1 thing. If there is a way to do the pre post thing for each individual track I would love to know.
Sorry that was my bad for answering too quick. The pre/post is per return track not per source track, as others have mentioned. So this is an advantage of Bitwig.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

The Mantra
KVRist
175 posts since 8 Oct, 2013

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:41 am

:?:
In live I can load a drum machine, say battery or groove agent 3 into a drum rack and then select receive>all notes. This allows you to play all of Batterys drum sounds across the full note range with it just loaded in one cell of the drum rack.

Is this possible in Bitwig? and if so, how?

User avatar
Ogopogo
KVRAF
2562 posts since 1 Oct, 2013

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:54 am

Not sure, not that I've seen, but why would you want to do that?

ezelkow1
KVRAF
1598 posts since 16 Jan, 2010 from Denver

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:57 am

Didn't see an answer anywhere, anyone found out if it's possible to setup a template? I couldn't with the demo but didn't know if that was a demo restriction

chroma
KVRian
780 posts since 10 Jan, 2010

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:10 am

tonkatodd wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tronam wrote: * Each track can be individually set to Pre or Post fader for effect sends (unlike Live)
Live lets you do this as well.
How can you do that in Live? I thought all the sends in a row had to be pre or post for every track. Sold Ableton because of that and the merging to midi channel 1 thing. If there is a way to do the pre post thing for each individual track I would love to know.
there is a workaround, unless you need a *lot* of sends... map two sends, one pre, one post. route the output of the 'pre' one into the 'post' channel, and put all your fx there. of course, this cuts your send channels in half, and you only have 12 to start with...

codec17
KVRAF
1514 posts since 14 Feb, 2010

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:14 am

Does anybody know how to select/change midi channels to a vst?
I read the manual but im hopeless....
so whats the problem? Ive got fxpansions geist and i want to trigger engine 2.
So i copy the track Geist to (geist track2) to send midi notes to engine 2 of geist...
But :( where can i select the midichannels? im clueless...

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6184 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:37 am

ezelkow1 wrote:Didn't see an answer anywhere, anyone found out if it's possible to setup a template? I couldn't with the demo but didn't know if that was a demo restriction
Haven't found this yet either.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

jtmeag4
KVRer
5 posts since 21 Dec, 2012

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:49 am

Does anyone know how to go about syncing Bitwig to external gear?

User avatar
DHR53
KVRAF
2875 posts since 22 Oct, 2002 from "somewhere between digital and analog"

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:27 am

Just Dld the demo… Cool! I'm trying to figure out what the heck everything does but I've figured out how to do most things (I do) already… I'm missing drag and drop midi files from some drum plugins I have? Is that not possible…

Also, it's crashed a couple times while running the engine and changing stuff in plugins. I'm on OSX 10.8.5…

Overall it seems pretty refined, not surprising consider how long they've been working on it. I can't seem to navigate the timeline from the keyboard (Grrrrr, Live!) Hope it's not like Live in that respect?

Onward... :party:

vivo
KVRist
100 posts since 19 Sep, 2005

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:34 am

I took a look in side the app package and it's written in Java ?!?

I don't hear/read anybody noticing this.

No offense, but ehm ? Isn't that supposed to be a 'slower' language than Obj-C ? Now I understand why there is also a Linux version, easy porting with Java.

Haven't tested the demo properly yet, but these are just some first findings, not trying to be negative.

dsan@mail.com
KVRAF
3069 posts since 29 Sep, 2005

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:37 am

codec17 wrote:Does anybody know how to select/change midi channels to a vst?
I read the manual but im hopeless....
so whats the problem? Ive got fxpansions geist and i want to trigger engine 2.
So i copy the track Geist to (geist track2) to send midi notes to engine 2 of geist...
But :( where can i select the midichannels? im clueless...
I don't think it works that way codec17. I think everything is channel 1 only.

I am truly hopeful Thomas or Andy will come in here and tell me I'm wrong but it seems if you have a multi channel VI you can only use channel 1.

So this will mean if you use Kontakt (for example - being a multi channel device) you will have to set up multiple instances and only load 1 instrument per instance.

I've only been able to play a very short time though. So far I am loving most of BWS.

Having a problem with the limited MIDI and especially miss MIDI over LAN.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

audiohouse
KVRist
87 posts since 22 Apr, 2013 from Somewhere not near you!

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:43 am

vivo wrote:I took a look in side the app package and it's written in Java ?!?

I don't hear/read anybody noticing this.

No offense, but ehm ? Isn't that supposed to be a 'slower' language than Obj-C ? Now I understand why there is also a Linux version, easy porting with Java.

Haven't tested the demo properly yet, but these are just some first findings, not trying to be negative.
What you mean by slower? Performance? Nope.

Dude that time has gone when Java was considered a "weaker" programing language (for me it never was), it really has been improved in alot of ways, and many professional applications has been written in it. But yes Bitwig is the first DAW to be written entirely in Java.

Many developers consider using Java because of its multiplatform usage, write once and run the same code on windows/linux/macosx.

codec17
KVRAF
1514 posts since 14 Feb, 2010

Re: The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:49 am

dsan@mail.com wrote:
codec17 wrote:Does anybody know how to select/change midi channels to a vst?
I read the manual but im hopeless....
so whats the problem? Ive got fxpansions geist and i want to trigger engine 2.
So i copy the track Geist to (geist track2) to send midi notes to engine 2 of geist...
But :( where can i select the midichannels? im clueless...
I don't think it works that way codec17. I think everything is channel 1 only.

I am truly hopeful Thomas or Andy will come in here and tell me I'm wrong but it seems if you have a multi channel VI you can only use channel 1.

So this will mean if you use Kontakt (for example - being a multi channel device) you will have to set up multiple instances and only load 1 instrument per instance.

I've only been able to play a very short time though. So far I am loving most of BWS.

Having a problem with the limited MIDI and especially miss MIDI over LAN.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Well thank you to think with me and your time! :)
Should be a bummer doesn,t it?
Well still love this program so far. Hope for the future... let this baby grow big..

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”