The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

They should have written it in Assembler :hihi:

dsan@mail.com wrote:
codec17 wrote:Does anybody know how to select/change midi channels to a vst?
I read the manual but im hopeless....
so whats the problem? Ive got fxpansions geist and i want to trigger engine 2.
So i copy the track Geist to (geist track2) to send midi notes to engine 2 of geist...
But :( where can i select the midichannels? im clueless...
I don't think it works that way codec17. I think everything is channel 1 only.

I am truly hopeful Thomas or Andy will come in here and tell me I'm wrong but it seems if you have a multi channel VI you can only use channel 1.

So this will mean if you use Kontakt (for example - being a multi channel device) you will have to set up multiple instances and only load 1 instrument per instance.

I've only been able to play a very short time though. So far I am loving most of BWS.

Having a problem with the limited MIDI and especially miss MIDI over LAN.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
I agree that the missing midi routing and support for midi channels is a drawback. It was one of my ongoing requests throughout the beta...

But at least it is possible to create a Controller Script that allows access to all 16 channels of an incoming midi stream. I built one for the use with CopperLans virtual midi channels where I'm sending multi-channel midi from a Midi Generator I wrote in Processing to Bitwig Studio.
You still can only have one channel per track, but at least you can select which one, if you send on multiple channels.
If anybody is interested, let me know.

But other than that: yeah, I hear you. ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

LawrenceF wrote:First real buglet.

Neither AD nor EZD can drop in midi their drum patterns to it's arrange space here. AD shows a ghost clip but letting it go does nothing. EZD shows nothing but a no-drop mouse cursor.
I have run into this in the past.

If you are running BWS as "administrator" you cannot drag and drop. This is a limitation imposed by Windows and not a fault of BWS. You can only drag/drop from inside a program - from the library for example.

The work around is cumbersome but what you may be able to do (haven't yet tested this with AD) is drag the clip to the Explorer window and then in BWS's library, find the clip and drag it to a scene.

If not running as "administrator" D&D should work normally.

Thank you M$.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

dsan@mail.com wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:First real buglet.

Neither AD nor EZD can drop in midi their drum patterns to it's arrange space here. AD shows a ghost clip but letting it go does nothing. EZD shows nothing but a no-drop mouse cursor.
I have run into this in the past.

If you are running BWS as "administrator" you cannot drag and drop. This is a limitation imposed by Windows and not a fault of BWS. You can only drag/drop from inside a program - from the library for example.

The work around is cumbersome but what you may be able to do (haven't yet tested this with AD) is drag the clip to the Explorer window and then in BWS's library, find the clip and drag it to a scene.

If not running as "administrator" D&D should work normally.

Thank you M$.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Doesn't work on Mac either so a Bitwig issue
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Interesting. I guess because I'm logged on as admin it treats it that way?

The first thing I did was go into the exe file properties and check "Run as Admin" thinking that might change it, but from what you say, running it as admin, actually being logged on as admin (same thing?) creates the issue in the first place.

No way to test that here really, all of my logins are admin accounts. Interestingly enough, it doesn't happen with other apps (of course, that doesn't necessarily prove anything really, just saying).

Thanks DSan.

At any rate, this thing is kinda fun to play with, even with the obstacles.

Can someone please post the release notes of version 1.0.2?

Thank you.

audiohouse wrote:
vivo wrote:I took a look in side the app package and it's written in Java ?!?

I don't hear/read anybody noticing this.

No offense, but ehm ? Isn't that supposed to be a 'slower' language than Obj-C ? Now I understand why there is also a Linux version, easy porting with Java.

Haven't tested the demo properly yet, but these are just some first findings, not trying to be negative.
What you mean by slower? Performance? Nope.

Dude that time has gone when Java was considered a "weaker" programing language (for me it never was), it really has been improved in alot of ways, and many professional applications has been written in it. But yes Bitwig is the first DAW to be written entirely in Java.

Many developers consider using Java because of its multiplatform usage, write once and run the same code on windows/linux/macosx.
As I understand, Java is a memory hog, and you have to program it to prefection to make it almost as fast as C etc.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

BMoore wrote:As I understand, Java is a memory hog, and you have to program it to prefection to make it almost as fast as C etc.
And one has to update Java on a regular basis, right? I guess I still have it disabled on my computer, I never see that little symbol anymore...

ThomasHelzle wrote:......I agree that the missing midi routing and support for midi channels is a drawback. It was one of my ongoing requests throughout the beta...

But at least it is possible to create a Controller Script that allows access to all 16 channels of an incoming midi stream. I built one for the use with CopperLans virtual midi channels where I'm sending multi-channel midi from a Midi Generator I wrote in Processing to Bitwig Studio.
You still can only have one channel per track, but at least you can select which one, if you send on multiple channels.

Cheers,

Tom
Oooooo....Thomas, this gives me some idea and Thank You for this offer! :tu:

I know nothing about coding so I'm wondering....

I use Tobias Erichen's loopMIDI and his rptMIDI (this one is the MIDI over LAN).

BWS is recognizing both (in set-up) but will not send or receive these devices. I gave up trying to route them straight away due to things I have learned in threads here and mainly due to the fact of limited time to investigate.

I do not believe I will be able to get the LAN part working as it seems this is not supported; however, I will like to get loopMIDI to give me its 16 channels if possible. (Actually, with loopMIDI, I can set up as many virtual MIDI devices I want so the possibilities will be endless - on one machine - guess my other will remain idle while using BWS :cry: )

Being able to select a channel sounds delightful. Do you think it will be possible to write code for this to be allowed?

If so I can then open standalone instances of VI's that support multi channel MIDI.

Very much appreciated - your time to look into and create if possible. Thank You!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

LawrenceF wrote:Interesting. I guess because I'm logged on as admin it treats it that way?

The first thing I did was go into the exe file properties and check "Run as Admin" thinking that might change it, but from what you say, running it as admin, actually being logged on as admin (same thing?) creates the issue in the first place.

No way to test that here really, all of my logins are admin accounts. Interestingly enough, it doesn't happen with other apps (of course, that doesn't necessarily prove anything really, just saying).

Thanks DSan.

At any rate, this thing is kinda fun to play with, even with the obstacles.
Try running BWS normally - without that "Run as Admin..." being checked on the properties tab, and see if this changes - the D&D issue....I am confident you will be able to D&D (maybe not with AD, as another user states it doesn't work on his Mac).

Although, not running as admin creates other problems in BWS....can't find the thread within now to cite from. Sorry, limited time right now.

I'm unclear of the details but "Run as Admin..." is different to logging in as admin. It is this "Run as" that causes the D&D problem. I log in as admin too on my machines and do not have D&D issues as such. When I "Run as admin..." is when the D&D issues come up.

This is documented on the webs and has been reported to MS - going no where of course. :x

Hope you get it sorted. Oh, BTW - dropping from the BWS browser is superb!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

fluffy_little_something wrote:They should have written it in Assembler :hihi:
Since they are bit wigs, then straight binary is the only way to go with coding.

dsan@mail.com wrote:Try running BWS normally - without that "Run as Admin..." being checked on the properties tab, and see if this changes - the D&D issue....I am confident you will be able to D&D (maybe not with AD, as another user states it doesn't work on his Mac).
dsan
Yeah, that's what I was saying, that it actually began unchecked and I checked it to see if that changed anything. Not a biggie for now.

Question / Observation: Try this below, if you get a chance DSan...

Run some midi tracks with VI's and then stop the project and change the ASIO buffer size. When I did that here some of the Kontakt samples unloaded and don't reload. It's running fine here with about 10 instances of Kontakt 4 at 128 samples but that little thing was a momentary "gotcha", I had to reload the samples on about 4 tracks after I changed the ASIO buffer size.

I assume (it happened kinda fast so dunno) that when you turn off the audio engine it unloads the samples?

No point in me shouting bug if it's not happening to anyone else.

dsan@mail.com wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:......I agree that the missing midi routing and support for midi channels is a drawback. It was one of my ongoing requests throughout the beta...

Cheers,

Tom
Oooooo....Thomas, this gives me some idea and Thank You for this offer! :tu:

I know nothing about coding so I'm wondering....

I use Tobias Erichen's loopMIDI and his rptMIDI (this one is the MIDI over LAN).

BWS is recognizing both (in set-up) but will not send or receive these devices. I gave up trying to route them straight away due to things I have learned in threads here and mainly due to the fact of limited time to investigate.

I do not believe I will be able to get the LAN part working as it seems this is not supported; however, I will like to get loopMIDI to give me its 16 channels if possible. (Actually, with loopMIDI, I can set up as many virtual MIDI devices I want so the possibilities will be endless - on one machine - guess my other will remain idle while using BWS :cry: )

Being able to select a channel sounds delightful. Do you think it will be possible to write code for this to be allowed?

If so I can then open standalone instances of VI's that support multi channel MIDI.

Very much appreciated - your time to look into and create if possible. Thank You!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
I use rtpMidi too and it works with Bitwig and my Android Phone using "TouchDAW". With this, TouchDAW acts as a Mackie MCU Pro. Quite nice actually ;-)

Let me check loop Midi and see if it works with my script, if yes I'll release it on the Bitwig Resources Thread so you can see if it solves your problem even if a bit more convoluted than desired. Otherwise check out CopperLan, since it supports networking too... I never tried that part though.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I am confident you will be able to D&D (maybe not with AD, as another user states it doesn't work on his Mac).
Not strictly true - I've been able to drag n drop from Finder to the pads in Geist. OS 10.9.2.
... space is the place ...

LawrenceF wrote:....Question / Observation: Try this below, if you get a chance DSan...

Run some midi tracks with VI's and then stop the project and change the ASIO buffer size. When I did that here some of the Kontakt samples unloaded and don't reload. It's running fine here with about 10 instances of Kontakt 4 at 128 samples but that little thing was a momentary "gotcha", I had to reload the samples on about 4 tracks after I changed the ASIO buffer size.

I assume (it happened kinda fast so dunno) that when you turn off the audio engine it unloads the samples?

No point in me shouting bug if it's not happening to anyone else.
I'll look into this when I return home this evening and get back to you. It will be awhile though.

BWS set my buffer at 256 and I didn't bother changing it. Even at that setting I was getting distortion in Kontakt 5. It eventually cleared up but given the problems I had with Live and things happening with K5 in it I beginning to wonder about Kontakt.

Have you been able to reproduce this event?

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”