Does Pro Tools sound better/different?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tronam wrote:
TheoM wrote:
i won't watch the video and will take your word for it, but if that's what he said, then not one single other thing that comes out of his mouth regarding daws is worth anything.
It's actually a pretty solid, well reasoned overview of most of the current DAWs on the market and would definitely be worthwhile for people just starting out and not knowing what host to buy. There's only two moments of audio engine malarky at 7:30 and 10:30. :hihi:
Nah man,, because checked those times and the advice he gives is so over the top that he's an Idiot. Now I've heard it all. Run stuff through pro tools to give it a glisten and sheen.

If he said run it through heat on pro tools hd then it may have some merit.

But then he goes to the usual live's engine sucks so you may want to output it into another daw. Tosser.

It's videos like these that will make noobs especially start with wrong info off the bat, and maybe grow up and learn with a mindset that they are hearing different things amongst engines.. It's not healthy.

I'd like to see some pics of different audio engines. Anyone got some? Would help me to understand this issue better.

My audio engine is a 4.8 liter V8 Hemi... NOTHING! sounds as good as this one :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

OK... I'll let myself be trolled and give you a serious reply:

If any DAW sounds different while playing an audio file without any signal processing features/plugins enabled, then it is a bug.

Period.

EOT
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

You are 100% correct Mutant :tu:

If you really want to test this, but don't want to buy loads of different DAWs, then just use this...

Download here...

https://sites.google.com/site/andystor/

This should settle the argument once-and-for-all.

:)

Sorry, I haven't updated it in a while so Bitwig isn't on there yet.

;)

Jesus i am watching that stupid video, drinking my coffee and laughing so much. I can not understand how that guy is having some credits at all???? I wouldn't give him my childhood tiny remote car to play with it, let alone to master my music :shock:

And this:
TheoM wrote:
It's videos like these that will make noobs especially start with wrong info off the bat, and maybe grow up and learn with a mindset that they are hearing different things amongst engines.. It's not healthy.
So true and not healthy at all..Because of that guy like from video every single week we have new thread about "does host x sound different then host y" because tosser/idiot said it in some video on youtube"..

edit: someone should post some links on actual and factual educating articles on this in comments of that video. I don'w have account at youtube :hihi:

All daws are good at different things. Pro tools is good at recording and processing audio. You'll have issues with your midi in pro tools unless ur in version 11. Versions 10 and under use Rtas format which is dated and buggy. Seeing as its 32 bit so get version 11 if u get it

Oh yea and make sure to beef your machine up to 16 gigs of ram if you want it to run smoothly. Pro tools is a ram hog especially if u try to do session with a 32 bit float instead of 16 bit

Well I've been using the last update of version 9 for along time and don't find it buggy quite honestly, I've been using PT since version 5.

I really fail to see what the heck you are talking about regarding PT10 and below being 32-bit and RTAS/AS format plugins as a problem!

Yes it does limit the amount of access to memory so using massive sampler/ROMPler libraries can easily be an issue.

However other than that what exactly do you mean?

Also unless you buy used then v11 is what anyone would be buying unless wanting version 10 for specific reasons

You aren't the guy from the video are you? Please say you aren't

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:Well I've been using the last update of version 9 for along time and don't find it buggy quite honestly, I've been using PT since version 5.

I really fail to see what the heck you are talking about regarding PT10 and below being 32-bit and RTAS/AS format plugins as a problem!
Yeah, I dont see what he's talking about either, and I think Ive been using PT since V5 as well.
Also unless you buy used then v11 is what anyone would be buying unless wanting version 10 for specific reasons
Notwithstanding the fact that if you buy PT11, you'll also get PT10, so that you can still work on projects which use your RTAS plugins.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

stateofpsychosis wrote:You'll have issues with your midi in pro tools unless ur in version 11.
No, I won't, actually.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Well he actually has a point. There is a consistent timing issue with rtas instruments in 10 and under. They play back out of time.

stateofpsychosis wrote:Oh yea and make sure to beef your machine up to 16 gigs of ram if you want it to run smoothly. Pro tools is a ram hog especially if u try to do session with a 32 bit float instead of 16 bit
Im also confused about this, not least at who is still working with 16-bit audio files, but also because, unless you are stuck in the 80's you should really be using 24-bit audio, and a PC or Mac is still going to use a 32-bit memory location to store a 24-bit int.

Anyways, I just threw a set of files in PT10 and PT11, 8 in all, all stereo and ranging from 3 minutes to 11 minutes in length, totalling about 55 minutes in all and the memory useage for both increased by similar amounts, ie about 25Mb.

Given that, and the core useage of PT11 starting at around 200Mb, Im thinking that memory for audio tracks isnt really the worry you're suggesting, compared to PT10, or any other DAW.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”