Reason?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

chk071 wrote:Try Predator, as far as it was to read here, it's pretty heavy on CPU.

The thing is it is still usable as long as you don't expect to "create an entire song with predator" which most likely you could do on any i7 in the past four years in other hosts.

This is just an example of course.. YMMV depending on the synths or fx used, and it all depends on how heavy/complex your song is. It's very easy to bounce and free cpu though and I was probably too harsh on it in the past as there are always workarounds. It's just a bit weird i guess coming from a super efficient host like logic.

Same thing with RE FX.. i would advise to use them when needed when the factory fx won't do. But there are plenty of excellent factory FX. Pulverizer, scream, alligator for example.

a good test would be to see how efficient the new RE that comes with 7.1 is (or perhaps it is only with new purchases?) and see how much the SDK has been improved. it is obvious from the graphics of this device (named "synchronius") that a heavy overhaul of graphical SDK is implemented. There is also really no reason to believe the SDK won't be improved further in the future. I am curious about cpu of course. Time will tell!

If i can ever afford one of those new mac pro's, i won't worry about cpu :hihi:

TheoM wrote: If i can ever afford one of those new mac pro's, i won't worry about cpu :hihi:
I want the 12-core setup myself..

That thing is beastly!

My dream mixing system would be this setup.

Apple Mac Pro 12-core System
- 2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache
- 64GB (4 x 16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
- 1TB PCIe-based flash storage
- Dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM each
- Apple USB SuperDrive
- Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)
- Apple Magic Mouse
- Apple Wireless Keyboard

But its only $10,337.00 :x :lol:
:borg:

I honestly reckon the 6 at 3.5 ghz would be just enough, but the absolute sweet spot for me would be the 8 core 3ghz. Best balance for logic as logic uses 16 threads max, but the 6 core is the best "bang for buck" if there is such a thing with these new macs :lol:

:borg:

I disagree with the consensus though.. hence my post there I just made.. i think if one can afford it, it would bring constant joy to have a machine with seemingly unlimited power.. there would simply never be a single block in creativity and one could even compose a song entirely out f true analog emulations and not worry abut bounce or freeze.

TheoM wrote:I disagree with the consensus though.. hence my post there I just made.. i think if one can afford it, it would bring constant joy to have a machine with seemingly unlimited power.. there would simply never be a single block in creativity and one could even compose a song entirely out f true analog emulations and not worry abut bounce or freeze.
I have recently sold on a new Mac pro as it was no way near as fast compared to recent "old" style mac pro's. Coming from a electronic manufacturing past I just couldn't believe the sub standard quality of the parts used in the Mac's of the last 2 years. I have lost quite a bit of money in the last year with new Mbp and Mac pro as I have sold them both on. The Mbp is the second one I have had in that time since the first one's screen died and I had to have it replaced under warranty. The current Apple hardware is not the Apple I know and loved. I then built a PC which at a fraction of the cost that blew the Mac pro out of the water with just the exception of data transfer times which the Mac pro is fast at but graphical and processing performance was just unworkable with large projects. Other than losing a fair amount of cash with the "new" Apples I had to say goodbye to the Mac software and migrate over to Pro Tools 11 which is crazy efficient but learning a new daw is very time consuming. My old Mac Pro was a tank with very high quality electronics. I keep hearing that it's young driver problems with the new Mac Pro but the build quality is $2 shop dreadful.
Last edited by tonkatodd on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, I must say that Reason 7 has affected somehow my plans for the 'electronic' future! First about the sound and second about my future desktop PC specifications.

After spending good hours with Thor, Malstrom and Subtractor with some tutorials ..etc. I think they already cover about 80% of the sounds I need. The only very possible buy for me is PX7 which I found it easy to understand compared to other FM synths. PX7 is using low cpu in my i7 laptop (with 'cool' relaxed power settings) and covers another 10% of what I need.

I might need some special sounds like in Monark and Razor. In that case I can rewire Reason with Sonar and bounce what I need to audio, then import them to Reason later. I don't find it cumbersome this way. With other synths/drums I have in Sonar, I think I'm covered 150% :hihi:

Now, for the PC specifications, Reason has lowered my needs. That's a good saving! Well, I need a budget gaming machine because I don't want to stress this laptop with everything (work, music and gaming). I thought to buy i7-4770 but with Reason and my needs I think I will buy i5-4670k instead and put the difference in upping the graphic card (from GTX 650 to GTX 660 for example). My system would cost about $870 (about NZ$1000).

There is no big difference for me between Mac or PC. In my case Sonar in PC is like Logic in Mac (almost). So, there is no need for me to spend that much of money. I understand that for some people they need that power with a specific DAW like Logic, especially some professionals that this would increase their earning. I absolutely agree with them. If there is a tool that can make my job finishes 20% faster or more, I would be glad to spend money on it.

In conclusion, Reason has saved me some money (and possibly time/effort when I learn it well) :-D

EnGee wrote:Well, I must say that Reason 7 has affected somehow my plans for the 'electronic' future! First about the sound and second about my future desktop PC specifications.

After spending good hours with Thor, Malstrom and Subtractor with some tutorials ..etc. I think they already cover about 80% of the sounds I need. The only very possible buy for me is PX7 which I found it easy to understand compared to other FM synths. PX7 is using low cpu in my i7 laptop (with 'cool' relaxed power settings) and covers another 10% of what I need.

I might need some special sounds like in Monark and Razor. In that case I can rewire Reason with Sonar and bounce what I need to audio, then import them to Reason later. I don't find it cumbersome this way. With other synths/drums I have in Sonar, I think I'm covered 150% :hihi:

Now, for the PC specifications, Reason has lowered my needs. That's a good saving! Well, I need a budget gaming machine because I don't want to stress this laptop with everything (work, music and gaming). I thought to buy i7-4770 but with Reason and my needs I think I will buy i5-4670k instead and put the difference in upping the graphic card (from GTX 650 to GTX 660 for example). My system would cost about $870 (about NZ$1000).

There is no big difference for me between Mac or PC. In my case Sonar in PC is like Logic in Mac (almost). So, there is no need for me to spend that much of money. I understand that for some people they need that power with a specific DAW like Logic, especially some professionals that this would increase their earning. I absolutely agree with them. If there is a tool that can make my job finishes 20% faster or more, I would be glad to spend money on it.

In conclusion, Reason has saved me some money (and possibly time/effort when I learn it well) :-D
Actually you owe to yourself to check out parsec! especially refencing monark and razor!

outcastrising wrote:
Actually you owe to yourself to check out parsec! especially refencing monark and razor!
Thanks, I will demo it soon, although it seems very similar to Razor and if its usage similar to PX1 I would buy it, otherwise Razor is a great synth with lovely interface and I already have it.

Monark? hmmm, I'm not sure there is something similar in Rack extensions. But I noticed some analog and modular synths as racks. I will keep my eye on the shop.

Anyway, I read that I can run the standalone version of the synth and route the midi out from reason then route back the audio in. I didn't try that yet, but it seems a nice workaround to use the standalone synths (I already have a good bunch of them!).

If it is the sound of monark and razor you are after you should try out audiorealism ReDominator. I know it is not a clone of either but the sound is very close. And the cpu usage is not to High either on my system. But it might be different on yours offcourse.

Thanks I will demo it, it is a juno emulation so I expect a nice sound from it. The price looks good too.

To be honest, in this stage I will try to use what I have and only buy something when I truly need it. I also will take some time learning Reason patching and its utilities.

ReDominator is fantastic. It took me by surprise actually and I highly recommend trying it out. It doesn't remind me of Monark or Razor at all though, but that's just my humble opinion. The closest RE to Razor would be Parsec. Aside from Blamsoft's VK-1 Viking, I'm not aware of any other deliberate Minimoog emulations. I suppose Gforce's upcoming synth could be their Minimonsta, but it could just as easily be the impOSCar or Oddity.

If you like Monark, you should check out either Blamsoft Viking VK-1 or FXpansion TRES. While TRES is not a Moog simulation it does some very aggressive sounds with a filter selection from Roland mono synths, Korg MS-10, and Oberheim SEM.

Also Antidote can pull off some very nice growly sounds when set to Mono/Legato and using a combination of esp the Sallen Key filter and the distortion effect in the fx chain.
Last edited by eXode on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnGee wrote:Thanks I will demo it, it is a juno emulation so I expect a nice sound from it. The price looks good too.

To be honest, in this stage I will try to use what I have and only buy something when I truly need it. I also will take some time learning Reason patching and its utilities.
I worked five with Reason only and learned the most from Reason 101. That´s definitely the deepest shit you will find. The newest articles appear to be pdf & payware only but the "first" 80+ 101 projects should keep you busy for the next months & years.

The "Discovering Reason" series is very handy too but it is Thor Demystified written by Gordon Reid (SOS, Synthsecrets) which you should read and "repatch". Thor once was "the workhorse modulation matrix" for Reason before all those CV thingies RE appeared.

One thing I still miss as a VST is "The Echo". The most coolest thing is that you can patch everything you like into the feedback path. Eg use one instance of THOR (not as a synth) and route your feedback path "through" it but reverse the phase of it via mod matrix. Now you have a phaseinverted signalpath for your feedback loop.

Hope that helps a bit.

Have a nice weekend.

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Tronam wrote:The closest RE to Razor would be Parsec. Aside from Blamsoft's VK-1 Viking, I'm not aware of any other deliberate Minimoog emulations.
I haven't tried Viking yet, but I'm not looking for Minimoog emulator exactly. I thought of a synth with old analog feel. ReDominator seems nice. It is in my list to try soon.
eXode wrote:If you like Monark, you should check out either Blamsoft Viking VK-1 or FXpansion TRES. While TRES is not a Moog simulation it does some very aggressive sounds with a filter selection from Roland mono synths, Korg MS-10, and Oberheim SEM.
I have just tried TRES now! Wow! I really love it. I miss a lot Strobe (I sold my DCAM synths) and I like a lot the 'TransModulation'. The cpu usage is between 2 bars to 4 bars (is that 20%-40% ?) so, it is not light, but it is definitely in my list to buy which is: PX7, TRES and Parsec. Three different synthesis and sounds. I just hope my cpu can handle one instance of each, which I think it can :-)
Halma wrote: I worked five with Reason only and learned the most from Reason 101. That´s definitely the deepest shit you will find. The newest articles appear to be pdf & payware only but the "first" 80+ 101 projects should keep you busy for the next months & years.

The "Discovering Reason" series is very handy too but it is Thor Demystified written by Gordon Reid (SOS, Synthsecrets) which you should read and "repatch". Thor once was "the workhorse modulation matrix" for Reason before all those CV thingies RE appeared.
Thanks a lot for the resources. Very useful indeed :-) Well I'm not that new to Reason I used Version 2 for some time many years ago, but I didn't continue learning it. Thor is a new synth for me though :-o
I'm waiting for Kurt's book to arrive also, so all this with the manual is a heaven of reading/learning for me :-D

Thanks all for a very useful thread and information. I feel very busy now!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”