So, I installed Mac OS Sierra ...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Discovered Gobbler does not appear to work yet under Mac OS Sierra.

Unable to install Slate product updates. Downloaded the updates and installed them manually with no issues.

Gobbler down for the count.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote:Discovered Gobbler does not appear to work yet under Mac OS Sierra.

Unable to install Slate product updates. Downloaded the updates and installed them manually with no issues.

Gobbler down for the count.
Your a warrior Bill :D
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

A Peaceful Warrior ;)

Bill, I'm going to follow your lead.
Do you have any issues with Largo?

Way of the Peaceful Warrior - Great book :)

I don't have Largo. Looks like a nice synth. What do you love about it?
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Waldorf make me reluctant to jump to Sierra. They haven't had much success in the past
Since you asked :D

Largo is light on the CPU since it went 64bit, Waldorf discovered a memory leak :dog:
Quick to Program, needs a copy and paste between OSC to make it even faster
Its moody character
The built in delay and reverb are lovely
Largo has great sweet spots
The legacy of many great Waldorf wavetables, like low piano... :party:
Half the mod matrix is within the primary interface

You might have Largo covered with other VST but its with looking beyond its presets.

Technically not Largo but Blofeld but thats another thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfosO1Y0nds
Last edited by Everglide on Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thank's for doing this and the bravery involved.

Thanks Bill, in this context warrior being an Irish expression for a very brave person.
Mac Studio

What i noticed since i upgraded to El Capitan is that my extern SSD sometimes is hanging while trying to load samples, is very slow often and/or will be not noticed at all by my system.
Only a hard reset solves this. Never had that before. If Sierra would fix that i would update asap.
There is also no way back for me so i just can look forward...... :roll:

chk071 wrote:
Jolaff wrote:
chk071 wrote: MacOS is supposed to be a easy to use, elegant, minimalistic OS, which doesn't offer gazillions of functions on every app, but rather gives you a few, classic functions instead.
Unfortunately you are probably right. Their philosophy is more to manage everything for us instead of giving us more flexibility to manage things as we want.
That's at least the impression i always get when using a Mac, yes. :) But then, that more and more holds true for Windows too unfortunately. :( Can't blame them though, the common PC user is indeed a dummy.
The common user shouldn't need to be a geek in order to get work done with the general purpose tool that a computer is presented to be.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I still haven't moved my production past Snow Leopard. My Mavericks installation is featureful, but slow. Sierra is abandoning my Mac, so I won't benefit from anything in it... even if it wasn't even slower than Mavericks and El Capitan.

Thanks for no support, M-Audio/Avid!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Cinebient wrote:What i noticed since i upgraded to El Capitan is that my extern SSD sometimes is hanging while trying to load samples, is very slow often and/or will be not noticed at all by my system.
Only a hard reset solves this. Never had that before. If Sierra would fix that i would update asap.
There is also no way back for me so i just can look forward...... :roll:
I use an external SSD for some of my samples, and it's working perfectly, although I've never experienced the problem you're describing.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I might get an ancient iMac from 2008 or so soon. Doesn't look like i would get Sierra on it then though, according to the statements from Apple. Oh well, i guess it can already be seen as quite a surprise that they approved Yosemite and El Capitan for it. :P

Sampleconstruct wrote:Thank's for doing this and the bravery involved.
Hope. :) The main motivation behind doing this was the poor performance of Cubase I experienced under El Capitan. So far, Cubase 8.5 Pro seems to perform better under Sierra than it did under El Capitan.

However, things still don't appear to be perfect. I'm still getting CPU overloads, and I appear to be running into some glitches when I open certain plugins. Slate VMR seemed to cause some stuttering and CPU overloads in Cubase when I opened a few instances last night in an existing project. Cubase has also created a few times opening existing projects, and then on the next try the project will open.

I need to do more testing, starting with a new empty project. I'll start a new project I need to work on, and see how things go.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Jace-BeOS wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Jolaff wrote:
chk071 wrote: MacOS is supposed to be a easy to use, elegant, minimalistic OS, which doesn't offer gazillions of functions on every app, but rather gives you a few, classic functions instead.
Unfortunately you are probably right. Their philosophy is more to manage everything for us instead of giving us more flexibility to manage things as we want.
That's at least the impression i always get when using a Mac, yes. :) But then, that more and more holds true for Windows too unfortunately. :( Can't blame them though, the common PC user is indeed a dummy.
The common user shouldn't need to be a geek in order to get work done with the general purpose tool that a computer is presented to be.
Indeed. But i would figure that simple file operations don't fall under "geekery" really. Or, knowing where stuff is on your harddrive. Fact is, some people using a Mac that i talked to, think their pictures are in iPhoto. No sh**. That of course leads to problems when those people like to share photos with others, or want to move their photos to another computer. Apple's solution: "The cloud is your friend.". Unless there's a non-Apple device in the chain, then it gets really complicated.

Anyway, offtopic.

billcarroll wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Thank's for doing this and the bravery involved.
Hope. :) The main motivation behind doing this was the poor performance of Cubase I experienced under El Capitan. So far, Cubase 8.5 Pro seems to perform better under Sierra than it did under El Capitan.

However, things still don't appear to be perfect. I'm still getting CPU overloads, and I appear to be running into some glitches when I open certain plugins. Slate VMR seemed to cause some stuttering and CPU overloads in Cubase when I opened a few instances last night in an existing project. Cubase has also created a few times opening existing projects, and then on the next try the project will open.

I need to do more testing, starting with a new empty project. I'll start a new project I need to work on, and see how things go.
If its not to much trouble keep us informed, I run Cubase 8.5 on Mavericks and its very stable, at some point an upgrade looms as I am at the end of a lot of devs support.
Mac Studio

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”