Cubase 9 coming in December according to Guitar Center

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
EnGee
KVRAF
7647 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:33 am

igoramos wrote:
EnGee wrote:I have a plan to upgrade my Artist version (8.5) to the Pro version, but does it matter if I wait till the 9th version release? Or I should upgrade now and wait till version 9 to be released then activate my upgrade?
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it would be the same either way. I mean I think if you upgrade now (for $199?), the you would get the free update. Or if you wait, the update to 9 will be $199 anyways. Thing is, there is no guarantee it'll be released this year and no guarantee that the grace period will be 6 weeks again, though that has been the history of the last 4 releases or so...
Thanks :tu:

BERFAB
KVRAF
6276 posts since 25 Mar, 2004

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:08 am

seamoss wrote:I have been using Cubase for close to 20 years

8.5 is rock solid on my system
+1
I've only had it since SX2, but still...rock solid currently. Plus, the included plugs and instruments have been excellent quality for the past few years.

I'll get C9 when it comes out, if only out of reflex. Really looking forward to seeing what they come up with next.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

User avatar
4damind
KVRAF
5502 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:18 am

I hope they don't add too many completely new features and instead improve existing features. There is so many stuff we asking for years (like Bézier automation curves or some kind of docking to avoid this floating plugin window hell, a "sandbox" for plugins to prevent that a plugin can crash the complete DAW).

If we speak about an update price IMO 8.5 users will save some money but it will not be for free (it's an major update). I expect something like 99€ for 8.5 users and 149€ for Cubase 8 users.

theoryzero
KVRist
148 posts since 3 Mar, 2006

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:27 am

I saw a very similar notice on Musician's Friend last week (Oct 30th) when I bought the 8.5 update, so I assumed the grace period update was right around the corner. I got my key but I haven't activated it yet, not until I receive official word from Steinberg about grace period dates for activation.

igoramos
KVRist
155 posts since 2 Apr, 2012

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:32 am

theoryzero wrote:I saw a very similar notice on Musician's Friend last week (Oct 30th) when I bought the 8.5 update, so I assumed the grace period update was right around the corner. I got my key but I haven't activated it yet, not until I receive official word from Steinberg about grace period dates for activation.
just chatted with Musician's Friend person and he said that the update offer may be tied to a rebate deal with Cubase and may not have the same grace period restriction as purchasing from Steinberg online. So it could be that you would still get the update even if its outside Steinberg's normal grace period offering if you purchase it from them... But it also sounded like he didn't know for sure... :( Wish I knew cause I really need to upgrade from Artist to Pro..

Though it seems unlikely to me that Steinberg would be handling it this way.
Last edited by igoramos on Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

koolkeys
KVRAF
16120 posts since 2 Dec, 2003 from Nashville, TN

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:33 am

theoryzero wrote:I saw a very similar notice on Musician's Friend last week (Oct 30th) when I bought the 8.5 update, so I assumed the grace period update was right around the corner. I got my key but I haven't activated it yet, not until I receive official word from Steinberg about grace period dates for activation.
If you go back and look at the last 4 updates, they were released in the first week of December, and the Grace Period started on exactly October 15th. So anyone buying now is likely fine if it is indeed coming in December.

Brent
My host is better than your host

theoryzero
KVRist
148 posts since 3 Mar, 2006

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:43 am

koolkeys wrote:If you go back and look at the last 4 updates, they were released in the first week of December, and the Grace Period started on exactly October 15th. So anyone buying now is likely fine if it is indeed coming in December.
I certainly agree with you Brent, historically speaking it should be fine. I'm just a cautious fellow. Also my studio is packed up due to moving and renovating the basement in the new house so I'm fortunate (?) to not being antsy to upgrade to 8.5 right away.

seamoss
KVRian
1169 posts since 27 Apr, 2004 from Houston, Texas

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:43 am

Aint no way in hell this update is free unless you very recently bought 8.5

koolkeys
KVRAF
16120 posts since 2 Dec, 2003 from Nashville, TN

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:33 am

theoryzero wrote:
koolkeys wrote:If you go back and look at the last 4 updates, they were released in the first week of December, and the Grace Period started on exactly October 15th. So anyone buying now is likely fine if it is indeed coming in December.
I certainly agree with you Brent, historically speaking it should be fine. I'm just a cautious fellow. Also my studio is packed up due to moving and renovating the basement in the new house so I'm fortunate (?) to not being antsy to upgrade to 8.5 right away.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm the same way. I think you should wait until you are sure. Just providing some historical context to the thread :D

Brent
My host is better than your host

User avatar
Googly Smythe
KVRAF
3261 posts since 12 May, 2011 from Everywhere and nowhere, baby

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:03 am

It's not when you buy the upgrade, it's when you activate it. Upgrade to 8.5 now, wait for 9 to be released, then activate 8.5. Won't matter if it's December 2017 when 9 is released, you'll still get the free upgrade to 9, if you stall activating 8.5.

Edit:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=466619&start=30
Scroll down a bit and Guillermo Navarrete from Steinberg confirms that activation date is what counts.
BitChute
SoundCloud
What is life without a little whimsy?

Septimon
KVRist
390 posts since 8 Mar, 2008 from Berlin

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:14 am

EnGee wrote:
igoramos wrote:
EnGee wrote:I have a plan to upgrade my Artist version (8.5) to the Pro version, but does it matter if I wait till the 9th version release? Or I should upgrade now and wait till version 9 to be released then activate my upgrade?
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it would be the same either way. I mean I think if you upgrade now (for $199?), the you would get the free update. Or if you wait, the update to 9 will be $199 anyways. Thing is, there is no guarantee it'll be released this year and no guarantee that the grace period will be 6 weeks again, though that has been the history of the last 4 releases or so...
Thanks :tu:
I don't think that's correct. If you wait and Upgrade from 8.5 Artist to 9 Pro it will be 249 € if you buy the upgrade now and register within the grace period, it will be 199.
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

LawrenceF
KVRAF
6148 posts since 4 Dec, 2004

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:38 am

I suspect it will be a nice upgrade. I'm actually expecting a consolidated UI at some point, maybe not yet though.

Do I have to say... "Don't pre-order it and then moan about bugs?" :hihi: Wait for 9.01 to get your groove on. :tu: :lol: That's not a knock on Steiny btw, really more that Cubase is just a pretty complex application / codebase so you can always expect some bugs on major updates, until the first patch.

If you Cubase fans would stop buying it on day one they'd probably also eventually accelerate the demo publishing timeline.

MickGael
KVRAF
1821 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:16 pm

4damind wrote:I hope they don't add too many completely new features and instead improve existing features
Or remove features that people use, or change the way things that have worked fine for years are implemented. This has happened with the last few updates.
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
Robert Randolph
KVRAF
2246 posts since 25 May, 2003 from Saint Petersburg, Florida

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:19 pm

LawrenceF wrote:I suspect it will be a nice upgrade. I'm actually expecting a consolidated UI at some point, maybe not yet though.

Do I have to say... "Don't pre-order it and then moan about bugs?" :hihi: Wait for 9.01 to get your groove on. :tu: :lol: That's not a knock on Steiny btw, really more that Cubase is just a pretty complex application / codebase so you can always expect some bugs on major updates, until the first patch.

If you Cubase fans would stop buying it on day one they'd probably also eventually accelerate the demo publishing timeline.
I actually have a post template setup for the V9 release, and the largest section is bugs. :lol:
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

User avatar
JonSolo
KVRAF
2726 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:56 pm

Robert Randolph wrote:Not only that, but somehow in the bolded section you completely contradict yourself. How can they make a promise if they've never told you what they intended on doing? How can someone not tell you what they intend on doing, but simultaneously promise that they're going to do that very thing?
As I stated in my previous post, the word "promise" was misused. However, when a dev IMPLIES that they are working on features and bug fixes, you expect, well, FEATURES AND BUG FIXES. We have received neither since their statement that they were soliciting information from us as a way to provide that PRIOR to the next update.

Therefore, there are NO contradictions in my statements, just demands for semantics which I am WAAAAAY to creative to concern myself with my wording since I am not a dev. However, if I were a dev I would be careful.

Keep in mind Cubase is so usable in its current form that it IS my daily driver. I am merely commenting on what literally THOUSANDS have commented on before me: here we go again, paying for bug fixes that have been reported to death, and still might not be fixed this coming version.

And yes I think Pro 9 will be outstanding, as are all of their releases. I just wish they would listen more carefully to the community and not just those doing the testing.

And instead of carrying this further with offshoot comments on my previous statement which I clarified- what did YOU take their open letter to mean? After all it did NOT state- "please give us feedback so that Pro 9 will include features and bug fixes". And after all that is why I made the statements I did.

So...what did you take it to mean?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”