Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic

For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

Now that Reason supports VST, it will be my primary production DAW
17%
Now that Reason supports VST, it will be my secondary DAW
19%
Now that Reason supports VST, I will be a first-time Reason user (either as a primary or secondary DAW)
6%
I have no interest in returning to Reason
24%
I have no interest in trying Reason as a first time user
20%
I may consider returning to/trying Reason if they add a feature [Please comment below]
13%

Total votes: 201

RELATED
PRODUCTS

With the lengthy discussion that has occurred since the 9.5 announcement that supports VST, it made me wonder how many are considering Reason now. If you used Reason at one time but left, or are considering trying it now that it has VST support, please chime in and vote! Would love to have a better understanding on how/if this announcement has affected former (or new) users...
Last edited by EnochLight on Thu May 04, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Sequencer window always turns me off finicky imho. Ive spent more time learning my current DAW since REason was even conceived, so why switch now.
Great few new and future users...missed the boat for a lot of us.

Ask again in a years time...

I have used Reason a lot in the past, along with Cubase on Windows, then switched to Mac/Logic and lost interest in it...
VST support might be a nice feature to make me upgrade to V.9 and use it alog logic a secondary DAW. (AU support on Mac, maybe in the near future ??)

I am on version 6.5, I dabble with Reason and do enjoy using it, the fact it will now host VST means I will actually bother to upgrade, though I will probably hold out till version 10, as I am in no rush and have plenty to be playing with for now. So they have likely got me back on the upgrade train.
I have been disappointed with the updates since 6.5 as not enough included new instruments and effects to entice me, with it being a closed system that mattered much more.

Is there a "reason" you combined both options for no?

"I have no interest in returning to Reason or trying it as a first time user"

The poll would give a more accurate understanding of who's not interested, if you separated these choices.

Thanks.

gas pump wrote:Is there a "reason" you combined both options for no?

The poll would give a more accurate understanding of who's not interested, if you separated these choices.

Thanks.
Noted, and changed. Unfortunately - it reset everyone's vote! :x :x :x Hopefully people will chime in again and cast their vote (again).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

The only reason feature I desperately want: BIDIRECTIONAL REWIRE!! Give me this, and I'm set.

I have had Reason since 2.5 Adapted/3 upgrade. I upgraded each time up to 7. I like Reason but it was never my main music software because I had also invested a lot in VST's.

Now however, with VST support, I can see myself using Reason more if it does deliver and remains stable. I will wait before purchasing anyway though just to see the feedback from others.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

EnochLight wrote:
gas pump wrote:Is there a "reason" you combined both options for no?

Thanks.
Noted, and changed. Unfortunately - it reset everyone's vote! :x :x :x Hopefully people will chime in again and cast their vote (again).
No big deal, only 6 votes were cast.
I left to try out Logic X, after a series of successive meager updates made me skip multiple Reason versions. Not sure if I felt that Propellerhead was trying to take advantage of the existing user base, but really? - 129 for a new browser and a new skin on the transport controls? Come on, guys! Really?

I always recommended Reason to anyone before, but now, if they own a mac, my first choice to them is Logic X. 169$ for what you get is insane. (It's 199, but you can often get 100$ gift cards at 20% off and use them to buy Logic). And you get Alchemy as well - and that was a free update. I started out with Windows, so I didn't have the option of using Logic. Don't regret the Reason purchase, though. It's a cool visual virtual studio.

VST support is great, but I'll wait until at least version 10 to upgrade. It needs way more VST features, although the way they have implemented the VST so far, appears elegant. Strange word to use, I suppose, but Reason is very visual in a good way, that is conducive to creating.

The mixer seems out of place. It's retro analogue cool, but they need drag and drop inserts, and hide/show channels and folders. Projects can just get stupid big. I'm bouncing out to Logic half the time when I use Reason.

Not sure if I "left", as I am 50-50 with the 2 DAWs, so I haven't voted yet.

As my primary host? No.

I don't often use Reason now, since I haven't take the time to find out why ReWire isn't working on my computer (Windows 10 update from Windows 7, 64-bit -- DAW is Samplitude Pro X, Reason 6.5). Reason just isn't a full DAW replacement -- it doesn't have sufficient audio handling tools, etc. And its sequencer leaves a lot to be desired.

As an instrument rack it's okay, but I don't need an instrument rack to host other instruments. And since it isn't ReWire-ing correctly, it's just been taking up space on my hard drive. There are plenty of VSTs that are just faster to use, both in terms of programming sounds (Reason's interface is a bit fiddly and ancient), and because they open in my DAW.

Reason is fun but outdated(as a whole), the workflow simply too slow in it especially after Bitwig which has unbelievable fast and enjoyable one

played a bit with Reason, and the cable based routing, programming the modulations/layering, mixing, sequencing, working with the PR(which can handle only single layer) are all slow slow and again slow,... but fun for sure

and the blocks in the sequencer is pure genius (would be nice with multi-layers)
Last edited by xbitz on Thu May 04, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Hi,

I'm not a Reason user, the whole cables, racks, ..etc. system of Reason makes it very flexible, but at the same time very slow as far as workflow is concerned. Also the fact that it does not offer a video-track to score to video is another big minus.

I don't see myself using Reason for these two reasons. VST support is nothing new to all other DAWs, they all support VST as a standard, Reason is really late to the party, so I think the only real benefits will be for long time Reason users, who have really been asking for VST support for over a decade.

Currently, my Primary DAWs are : Presonus Studio One Pro 3, and Cubase Pro 9 .
My Secondary DAW will be : Bitwig Studio 2 .

Cheers,
Muziksculp

just one remark about racks, if u like them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJaWTfQP_dk

is brilliant, and has industrial standard sound quality (ofc. worth to combine them with the modulators of Bitwig, Brian just created a new series worth the check it > Bitwig The Modulators https://www.youtube.com/user/thechangeofends/videos )
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I just upgraded my license on Monday. Last time I upgraded was 6.5. I'm looking forward to using VSTs in Reason and I've also signed up for the RE SDK. There are a few CV modules I've always wanted and I might just make them myself. Will it replace Reaper? Maybe, maybe not. There are still problems with Reason but it's worth checking out again IMO.
Feel free to call me Brian.

note that I 'left' in 2005 so my vote isn't that valuable

I massage audio far too frequently for Reason to be something to pay for, short version

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”