Under talked about DAWS

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
gremlinmoon wrote:When Renoise does get talked about, to the average person it sounds like:
We need to degauss the ventral nitrogen control system because of a proton surge in the graviton stabilizers, dump the ventral heuristic bubble energizer, restart the ventral electron feed and replace the aft osmotic microfilament splitter and reroute power through the tritonic phaser control circuit to kick-start the matter/antimatter shell. 01001001 00100000 01100001 01101101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100011 01110010 01100001 01111010 01111001 00100000 01101101 01110101 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
So it's basically like Reaper? :hihi:
Haha good one :D Reaper is my main DAW but I fully get how this is very true for a lot of folks.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I was exaggerating of course, it's not half as bad. :) Yet, there is something to it, when it is being described as "the Linux of DAW's". With the goods and the bads that come with it.

I took a look at Blender yesterday though, and, compared to that, Reaper is piece of cake really. Didn't even know where to start really... i think i will need to study tutorials for half a year, before i'm even able to do something with it.

Too bad that no major DAW except ReNoise has option for tracker.

I want to get back to using Psycle.

chk071 wrote:I was exaggerating of course, it's not half as bad. :) Yet, there is something to it, when it is being described as "the Linux of DAW's". With the goods and the bads that come with it.

I took a look at Blender yesterday though, and, compared to that, Reaper is piece of cake really. Didn't even know where to start really... i think i will need to study tutorials for half a year, before i'm even able to do something with it.
I figured out Blender enough to do a few videos at uni a few years back - just fairly basic editing - but, yes, it is a very intimidating interface!

Yep.

inkwarp wrote:hmmm.. i think Podium is great but such a shame it's development seems to have ended. it has one of the best GUIs and if there was a current version i would probably get it. i also agree that Samplitude is weirdly overlooked... it's an incredible program, as powerful as apps like ProTools perhaps more so. it still has the amazing 'object oriented ' editing...
however, whereever i look for up to date help and tutorials all i get is tumbleweed...
i would also mention EnergyXT
Podium is still being developed.

https://zynewave.com/forum/podium-future/

devilnishy wrote:
inkwarp wrote:hmmm.. i think Podium is great but such a shame it's development seems to have ended. it has one of the best GUIs and if there was a current version i would probably get it. i also agree that Samplitude is weirdly overlooked... it's an incredible program, as powerful as apps like ProTools perhaps more so. it still has the amazing 'object oriented ' editing...
however, whereever i look for up to date help and tutorials all i get is tumbleweed...
i would also mention EnergyXT

I've been a Podium 'follower' since 2009. It's development, unfortunately, is snail like. The dev is a top bloke but I get the feeling he is a real perfectionist about his product - as such updates hardly ever include new features - more like a constant refining of what's already there. It still doesn't have any inbuilt time stretching abilities for example which folks have been asking for since at least the time I bought a license in 2009. It still has cpu problems too - my main reason for not commiting to using it.

starflakeprj wrote:
EnergyXT is also pretty much "dead".

Sad,but true. I still use it most days for sketching with though because it loads quickly and it has such a clever and simple UI,and all in such a tiny footprint.

dellboy wrote:
starflakeprj wrote:EnergyXT is also pretty much "dead".
Sad,but true. I still use it most days for sketching with though because it loads quickly and it has such a clever and simple UI,and all in such a tiny footprint.
And being cross-platform, Win/OSX/Linux is a big plus.

my bad. last update was 2014.
there are some minor updates but nothing apart from that...

cryophonik wrote:I don't see Adobe Audition discussed very often. I have it as part of our Adobe CC subscription, but rarely use it. Whenever I do use it, I usually find myself thinking that I really should spend more time with it.
Audition was one of my first loves, and I was aboard since it was first developed by Syntrillium and called Cool Edit Pro. I alpha/beta tested for Syntrillium and helped with every Cool Edit Pro release, as well as the port to Audition once Adobe bought them. I alpha/beta tested Audition up to 3.0, which was the last version I have. I dropped off when it went to the CC subscription model, and once Propellerhead released Record, I stopped using it almost entirely except for detailed sample editing.

I still fire it up sometimes (3.0 still works on Windows 10, thankfully). It's a shame Adobe didn't capitalize on its audio editing capabilities and press it more as a fully featured DAW. I still like Audition's workflow.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Hmm. No mention of LMMS yet so that must be a winner :clap:
https://lmms.io/

Blender is not hard to use, it does help to have some experience with
3D software in general. That will help put everything into context.
I actually prefer the old interface, 2.4 and prior. There's really only
a few things you need to learn, shortcuts mostly, to be productive
with it. Its definitely well worth the effort.

Just sayin...

Speak of the unspoken: GarageBand.

Got a new MBP for work, fired it up. No friggin' idea how to control it. Not having an audio interface on usb or thunderbolt does not help either. But browsing through the loops library already keeps me entertained for 15 minutes or so.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

pekbro wrote:Blender is not hard to use, it does help to have some experience with
3D software in general. That will help put everything into context.
I actually prefer the old interface, 2.4 and prior. There's really only
a few things you need to learn, shortcuts mostly, to be productive
with it. Its definitely well worth the effort.

Just sayin...
Thanks, you're really giving me hope and motivation to try. :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”