Have you been converted to Ableton Live ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has it been like that for 17 years?
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

melomood wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:28 pm Has it been like that for 17 years?
that's a long 8 bar loop :o
what bpm?

1 and a half
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Oh Ableton Live... had the demo, kinda liked it, bought a used license here on KVR and sold it two weeks later. The lack of plugin management I could't bare. I used favorites but it's cumbersome to say the least. My Launchpad felt right at home, but Logic can use it, too... :)

Also the GUI: I'm a minimalistic bare to minimum kinda guy, but Live is IMHO just a plain eye sore.
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Yes. After three tries. It gets me from point A to point B the quickest. But to each their own.

Have I gone back in time? Is it 2004 again?
Hey, I’m new here on KVR, what’s going on? Anyone wants to buy a Tascam Portastudio?

For whatever its worth, heres my experience.

I came up on Reaper. I've always loved how lite, fast, and customizable it is. You can make it look exactly how you want. You can make keybinds that will do exactly what you want. You can change the workflow to be exactly how you want. However, the fact that there are a billion different ways to do things can also be a point of frustration. Sometimes, rather than sit and research what the best way to do something would be, I would rather be told "hey, this is one good way to do things", and just trust that and run with it. This is where Live comes in.

Ableton has a pretty specific way of doing things. Its pretty simple and straightforward. Is it always the best way to do things? No, but its usually intuitive and easy. For example, I found routing and side-chaining far, far more intuitive in Live than Reaper. I also like the way signal chains are laid out linearly and very visually.

Like thats been a constant pain point for me in Reaper. The GUI is just bad or non-existent far too often. A lot of the stock plugins, while being fantastically capable, are just sliders and numbers, and it can be difficult to understand what you are looking at at first. Not very inspiring.

Not to mention when you start modifying how Reaper looks, you can literally redesign the entire thing. This is fun at first, but soon you find yourself spending way too much time adjusting things and trying to decide if you like it. Once again, its nice that Live just has a few set themes (light dark etc), but they are well designed and, though Live might not be the prettiest, I find it functionally very satisfying. Things are easy to see and read.

Its also nice that Live has a bunch of unique features that most other daws dont have, such as its unique warping, grooves, session view, etc. Although it still misses on some basic points. For example, applying moderate swing globally to the main grid is achieved in just a few clicks in Reaper. In Live, this is impossible for whatever reason. You can use triplet grid, but if you want to swing harder than that, you will have to render individual drum hits on a track as one full clip covering a full measure, THEN apply a specific swing groove to that clip. THEN you have to do the same for every other element of your percussion. Tedious at best.

But still, I was able to read through Ableton Live's entire user manual, and wrap my head around exactly what it can and cant do, and understand all of its unique capabilities. I had attempted the same with Reaper, but the user guide is much more tedious and clinical, not to mention far, far larger in size. I gave up.

TLDR I love Reaper, and I will continue to use my license and use it for certain types of productions. But I am really glad I decided to take the plunge on a Live Standard license, because so far my experience has been very positive.

I've been unconverted from Live... it served me well though, so I appreciate the time I used it.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:10 am I've been unconverted from Live... it served me well though, so I appreciate the time I used it.
Curious, what are you using now?

Jkist wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:53 am
pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:10 am I've been unconverted from Live... it served me well though, so I appreciate the time I used it.
Curious, what are you using now?
Bitwig and Logic... depending on what I am doing.

Was this the biggest necro ever?

Probably... :D

I’m in the process of getting reconverted. I used Live and Logic for years, since v3, switched back to DP from Logic, and to Bitwig for a while now, but Live is calling me back.

I really like all the DAWs Ive bought, they all have parts that completely outshine the others, I’m just at that point where it’s about the tool, not the UX. Overall Bitwig has a far better UX to me than Live, plus the modulation is out of this world, but Live just flat has the features I want out of a real time DAW, midi comping, Jitter, Max patches for SysEx, arguably better time stretching algorithms. I’m not selling Bitwig, so it’s possible this all changes, but I think I’m fine with the DAWs I started on in DP and Live.

fese wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:58 pm Have I gone back in time? Is it 2004 again?
Hey, I’m new here on KVR, what’s going on? Anyone wants to buy a Tascam Portastudio?
After two years just reading through the posts, I'm still not sure to join KVR! There are some nice guys but there are some nasty members not friendly with new members. Nah! It is a read only forum! I also can't afford buying anything right now, so let's keep in the dark :hihi:

so, we never ever saw Linux version, that's why i'm converted to Bitwig.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”