Questions Regarding Sound Field Scope Output

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I had some questions regarding the output of a Sound Field scope (like the one found in Izotope's Insight), I was hoping someone could answer.

In regards to the following output:

...can I assume that each of the brightest green dots are samples from a specific time interval?

[INDENT]Example: Assuming that the refresh rate for the Sound Field scope is 10 ms - then the brightest dots on the Sound Field scope pertain to a 10 ms window of sample data?[/INDENT]

So for instance, if the 10 ms time interval in question consisted of the following sample points:

...then each one of the brightest sample points in the Sound Field scope would correlate to one of the blue sample points in the waveform editor?

If that's the case, can I assume then that if we're dealing with a 24 bit signal:

...that the length of the line on the y axis is + / - 72.245 dB (given that maximum SNR for a 24 bit signal is 144.49 dB):

If that's the case, can we assume that the lengths of the diagonal lines for a hard left stereo signal (100% left - 0 % right):

...and hard right stereo signal (0% left - 100% right):

...are half that of the mono signal (ex. + / - 36.1225 opposed to + / - 72.245 dB)?

The reason I ask is that it seems that length-wise, the line on the y-axis (pertaining to the center channel) happens to be twice the length of the diagonal lines (pertaining to the left and right channels), which would make sense from an audio perspective.

Thank you,
Nelson

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”