AKAI VIP 3.0 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VIP (Virtual Instrument Player)

Just spent the last couple of hours setting up VIP 3

Quite a few crashes, many plugins not importing presets, Arturia totally not onboard.

I can see it's an ambitious project, as was every other plugin manager.

Sadly I think trying to get a universal patch format for all developers is a bit like trying to get all countries to stop the $30+ Trillion in tax havens.

it ain't going to happen anytime soon.

props for trying though, and I hope the dev got payed well. ;-)

shonky wrote: Is there still development work in VIP to support additional file formats or is this being left in the hands of the individual software companies? Would be good if, at least in preset storage, there was some universally accepted format (I guess fxp is the closest) as I'm guessing this is how it felt for hardware owners in the days before MIDI.
There's no need for it. VIP does not even look into the preset data. It just needs some data that the plugin will accept, which is what is defined in the VST spec (together with calls to query the preset name, and notifications when a preset has changed). The offending plugins just need to support these VST features.

Over on the charity auction thread it mentions VIP Standard and VIP Plus. What is the difference between the two? I have tried and tried searching and can not find anything related to either. I only find just a single VIP software. Is there a link explaining the difference between Standard and Plus?

Plus comes with some AIR instruments and effects: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... P-3-0-Plus

Thanks for the link. Very helpful.

Thanks krabbencutter for this thread, I have a MPK261 and never knew about it, checked my AKAI account and it's there.

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Big Tick wrote:Which plugin was playing ? I'm not saying this is the case here, but I've seen some plugin crash if you ask them to load a preset, or play something while their UI is being closed. You can work around that by disabling the 'smooth preset transition' and/or the plugin caching option in VIP, for that particular plugin (gear icon in the lower right when that plugin is loaded).

More generally, VIP uses VST's single-preset setChunk calls. This is not something that you do very often in other DAW's, and because of that, it's not something that developers test a lot.
That was Dune 2, Sylenth1 does work fine. Will check that solution later.
Aand it worked! Wow, I could just go through 140+ FX presets in Dune 2 across many banks, choose the few I like and use them in a track right away. Among other sounds - high-pitched string? Bam. Acid arp? Bam. Now that it works as expected, everything is ready in no time :tu:

...with only 15 months delay :hihi:

I still copy presets to standalone VSTs, though, use VIP only to find and try them out.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I think this is very related to the topic, just finished Akai VIP software - Maschine template after a lot of tedious work involved.
Akai VIP software - Maschine template is package which contains already pre-mapped templates for controlling Akai VIP software either as standalone or as a vst inside Maschine software or a DAW. Also are provided Maschine software templates for any other Maschine family controller, detailed manual which can be used as a useful guide for any other midi hardware controller.

Download here (free/donationware): http://www.boyss-sound-e-scapes.com/vip ... e-template
Video with some screenshots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9q_hOy8yNQ

Small print (details from web-page):
For whom is this package for:
-for Maschine mk2 and Akai Vip software owners
-for users of Maschine software (any hardware controller)
If you use Maschine software but don't have exact model you can still use groups-sounds templates for clear knob names on hardware and in Maschine software, also more controls available to automate since by default there are only for channel 1 which gets scrambled on hardware/software.
-for anyone who have Akai VIP software and plan to map any controller to it, as an info how and what to expect when using mapped controller

Package contains:
-Controller Editor template for Maschine mk2 hardware for Akai VIP software control and VIP related mapping template
-templates for controlling VIP software when its used inside Maschine software as a vst (clear knob names, more knob pages, routings etc) in format: Maschine instrument/sound/group/project.
-Manual with all details needed how to use provided templates in Maschine or a Daw. All that info can be used as a guide if you plan to midi map any controller to VIP software.

Note: used Maschine v2.6.8 and VIP v3.0 for creation. We arent responsible if future versions break compatibility.
Note for 32 bit: All our tests were on Windows 10 x64 PC. We tried quick test with x32 vst host and loading x32 VIP, it worked the same as for x64.
In standalone VIP also without problems.
In maschine 32 bit we encountered problems (Maschine crashing even without any vst in a project) so no guaranties it will work (we were unable to test), especially template groups-sounds etc (files created with Maschine software). Knob automation pages (with Maschine in normal mode) probably wont work.
All steps needed to make your own templates if you encounter x32 problems are in the included manual.

@ Big Tick - > Would it be possible, for a simple Save As command for saving patches in VIP ? Vs having to save the edit inside my plugin first this way I'm not saving the patch twice. :dog: Eg: I just want to edit and save the preset inside VIP 3.0 vs. saving it in my plugin window,and then importing inside of VIP.

Seems like a pretty straight forward thing to do, but it's not the case. One must save a sound inside the original plugin to edit, then import into VIP, which makes it a second step, and more of a hassle imo.

When saving multi's this is not the case, so please add this to our next update. Thanks! :tu:
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

I've also noticed sometimes VIP 3.0 freezes when trying to save a Multi, or switching between the Instrument screen and browse. Please do fix this
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Even after Akai talked up Arturia integration after the latest release, there is still no sign months later that this will ever be resolved and now Arturia are up to version 6. Summed up nicely in their own forum here

http://community.akaipro.com/akai_profe ... recognized

I notice after the last push by Akai when doing a relaunch all has gone quiet again and nothing changed.

Such a brilliant piece of software. It could be amazing if they updated it often with new features and work on the stability. I love the new chord progressions feature, I'd just like an easier way to save patches vs the current way.

Is the dev still actively working on VIP?
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote:Such a brilliant piece of software. It could be amazing if they updated it often with new features and work on the stability. I love the new chord progressions feature, I'd just like an easier way to save patches vs the current way.

Is the dev still actively working on VIP?
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=493420&p=6922507#p6922507

trusampler wrote:Is the dev still actively working on VIP?
Definitely. I don't decide on features though, so you'll have to use the 'feedback' menu in VIP to submit feature requests.

These requests are taken into account by who now?
Hopefully they make it to you.And Thanks Big Tick,that's great news to hear your developing it still but I'm still trying to wrap my head around why one cannot do a simple Save AS when it comes to saving presets.I have Rapid Vst and want to save sounds, and it's super confusing, and I find myself overwriting my edits, which is very frustrating.

I'll definitely use the feedback menu, though we've been leaving feedback in the Akai forums for a couple years now and the Arturia issues still not resolved.

When will we see new updates for VIP 3? Thanks
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”