what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xbitz wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:DAW’s with a Modular environment:
A very important feature for me.
Studio One has Multi Instruments
FL Studio has Patcher
Mulab has Mux
Live has M4L
EnergyXT
Usine
Waveform ?
Did I miss any?

No modular environment:
Cubase, Samplitude, Sonar, Reaper, Mixcraft, Bitwig, Orion
Yea, can use Bidule and such as a VST but it is not the same?
Here Cubase, Samplitude, Sonar and Reaper are lower on my possible
DAW's to use because of the lack of a modular environment.
I wouldnt have put M4L on that list; MAX/MSP will allow you to do modular routing with VST plugins, but its nowhere near the others in terms of 'DAW level' functionality for doing so.

(Funnily enough I prefer to use Bidule, because it lets me have a consistent modular environment across multiple DAWs ie Sonar, PT, and Live. )
Ok on the M4L. :tu:
Liked your comment that Bidule can be used on all DAW's and so you need not have to learn a new Modular environment each time you switch. Very good point! :tu: :tu: :tu:

Now what are the advantages for the DAW modular environments. One. In both Multi-Insruments and Patcher you can set up knobs to make any synth multi-touch. IIRC I tried this on absynth and it worked. Se signature, I have a touch screen :D
Cubase, Samplitude, Sonar, Reaper has ... MUX, MUX has brilliant front-end building capability personally I like better than Patcher in FL too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtFL_65iB0c&t=9s
and I've scracthed only the top of it
Is Mux multi-touch? Very important feature for me.
Perhaps Start a new thread as this topic can grow.

Burillo wrote:
lfm wrote:Freeze in sonar is superior to any other daw - IMO.

You freeze a synth - and you immediately got audio clips on all outs on that synth.
Visual feedback on what is there. And if you want just add plugins for that.

Cubase you see nothing when freezing - all clips for freeze are hidden in pool. And midi clips are dimmed kind of, almost hard to read what is there in each spot.
Render in place though do this properly what still more extra crap you have to hide away.
Extra outs on synths are automation only in Cubase - in Sonar it's just as well audio like any other audio track.
lol any other DAW? REAPER had this since ages ago. in REAPER, not only you can freeze (and see peaks, multichannel and whatnot), you can partially freeze a track - that is, if you have a track with instrument and a bunch of FX, you can freeze instrument only, but keep the FX, or freeze instrument and a few of the FX, but leave others intact. try that in Sonar. superior my ass.
Samplitude nails freeze as well, you can freeze a track, an instrument or an object, I use it as a bounce to track. To the original post the Samp's objects while not strange are a huge strength imo
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

apondinthestream wrote:I am on the look for something other than Reaper but I know that all the DAWs miss something or other that is useful

What does your DAW not have that you wished it did have - particularly things that are common in other DAWs? I like to edit both audio and midi in fine detail and something I like about Reaper is the track and item based focus - I can put fx on items and on tracks and I dont have to use a separate mixer, I can see all levels in the main track window. Having to use a mixer puts me off FL Studio for example
btw it sounds like T7 for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NZam-eaEg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeiakPJcq_w
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

not only you can freeze (and see peaks, multichannel and whatnot), you can partially freeze a track - that is, if you have a track with instrument and a bunch of FX, you can freeze instrument only, but keep the FX, or freeze instrument and a few of the FX, but leave others intact. .
Thats how Waveform (Traktion) does it too
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Burillo wrote:

You freeze a synth - and you immediately got audio clips on all outs on that synth.

Cubase you see nothing when freezing - all clips for freeze are hidden in pool. And midi clips are dimmed kind of, almost hard to read what is there in each spot.
Render in place though do this properly what still more extra crap you have to hide away.
Extra outs on synths are automation only in Cubase - in Sonar it's just as well audio like any other audio track.
lol any other DAW? REAPER had this since ages ago. in REAPER, not only you can freeze (and see peaks, multichannel and whatnot), you can partially freeze a track - that is, if you have a track with instrument and a bunch of FX, you can freeze instrument only, but keep the FX, or freeze instrument and a few of the FX, but leave others intact. try that in Sonar. superior my ass.
The simplicity in Sonar beat everything else. One button press and all is taken care of - what is the usuall way I want it - just freeing resources and get good visibility from doing that. Then one button press to undo it. No extra tracks or muting/unmuting stuff - all put on the output tracks already there.

I just never had the need to partly freeze a track - you can hardly remove the synth itself then. What is the point of that.

I ran Reaper solely from 4.2-4.4(license from 3.6-4.7) and is awesome in many ways - but not fluent workflow. More focused on ability to do anything - not keeping it simple.

Sonar 4 2005 had this really nice way doing freeze. I consider it superior thinking.

lfm wrote:
Burillo wrote:

The simplicity in Sonar beat everything else. One button press and all is taken care of - what is the usuall way I want it - just freeing resources and get good visibility from doing that. Then one button press to undo it. No extra tracks or muting/unmuting stuff - all put on the output tracks already there.

I just never had the need to partly freeze a track - you can hardly remove the synth itself then. What is the point of that.

I ran Reaper solely from 4.2-4.4(license from 3.6-4.7) and is awesome in many ways - but not fluent workflow. More focused on ability to do anything - not keeping it simple.

Sonar 4 2005 had this really nice way doing freeze. I consider it superior thinking.
same with samplitude, no extra tracks, no muting it's a perfect bounce in place, it's available by right clicking track for object (which can be a whole track) or in a drop menu for objects from the toolbar. For tracks a drop down at the beginning of each track or from the track drop down in the tool bar and for vsti's a button in the vsti manager. Another case imo of what gells with the user is what is best, being able to freeze objects is a nice feature I like :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

apondinthestream wrote:
acYm wrote:ableton. poly aftertouch.

does Ableton have clip based automation - so you could have a track with 3 audio items, a track reverb but each item has its own eq with different settings and maybe a crusher on one?
Yep, you can set any fx to be on/off and have different parameters per clip if that's what you mean. You can set up dummy clips (blank audio clips on a separate channel) and send the instrument/audio signal to that rather than the master, and you then have a selection of fx clips with automation independent of the source material.

If you want to go for some insane pseudo-generative stuff, you could use different follow actions on both the source instrument/audio and the dummy clips.

Not sure if this is quite what you meant but I found it opened up a lot of possibilities that you can play in easily with a launchpad or similar, changing the source and fx on the fly.

Waveform ?
Did I miss any?

No modular environment:
If Waveform is "modular" then not only is Reaper modular, but it surpasses it by letting you save and load entire track routing chains. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=482092

Resonant- Serpent wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:Cubase - lacks bezier curves in automation lanes. Would be nice to have proper curves instead of a series of straight lines.
Use the Parabola mode for drawing curves. Takes a bit of practice, but much easier than drawing them in, and easier to adjust afterward.

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... ata_c.html
I do. But these are not proper curves, just a series of straight lines. And once drawn, you can't easily edit them, either you have to fiddle with several (or dozens of!) points or you have replace the old one with a new "curve".
Imagine a program such as Photoshop that didn't use bezier curves but just a series of straight lines...

Googly Smythe wrote:
Resonant- Serpent wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:Cubase - lacks bezier curves in automation lanes. Would be nice to have proper curves instead of a series of straight lines.
Use the Parabola mode for drawing curves. Takes a bit of practice, but much easier than drawing them in, and easier to adjust afterward.

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... ata_c.html
I do. But these are not proper curves, just a series of straight lines. And once drawn, you can't easily edit them, either you have to fiddle with several (or dozens of!) points or you have replace the old one with a new "curve".
Imagine a program such as Photoshop that didn't use bezier curves but just a series of straight lines...
I agree. I much prefer the automation curves in S1.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

yellowmix wrote:
Waveform ?
Did I miss any?

No modular environment:
If Waveform is "modular" then not only is Reaper modular, but it surpasses it by letting you save and load entire track routing chains. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=482092
Modular environment such as in Bidule https://www.plogue.com/products/bidule/ where can load plugins and connect them with a virtual cable. Perhaps am using the wrong terminology?

See image of Waveform modular environment:
viewtopic.php?p=6755026

If Reaper has something similar send link. If not I wish they get that and ARA soon!

Ableton Live: Peak Filter

I know Reason is out, but just so everyone knows:

No track folders
Can't gang faders
No bypass button on the VST window
No patch browser on external midi instruments
Can't use Kontakt multitimbrally
No VST3 support
Can't resize instruments or effects
Can't hide the grid
No markers (using blocks does not count)
No support for video
No curved automation

-DV

tooneba wrote:Ableton Live: Peak Filter
Ableton Live's EQ Eight's "Bell" band setting is a Peak filter when set to positive values.

pottering wrote:
tooneba wrote:Ableton Live: Peak Filter
Ableton Live's EQ Eight's "Bell" band setting is a Peak filter when set to positive values.
Yeah I know how it's working but I want more advanced peak filter tool that have custom envelope along with existing sidechain in Auto Filter. Doing it with lane automation and reusing are cumbersome. The feature automatically compress peak to original amplitude like NI's peakfilter is welcome.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”