Core i5 2500K vs Core i9 10 core

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jim Roseberry wrote:We have clients running i9 CPUs.
They tend to be more "hardcore" (most professional) composers.
Typically running large orchestral templates... pulling heavy disk-streaming polyphony from multiple SSDs.
Unless you fit this type of scenario, the i9 is overkill.
Curious, as disk streaming from SSD's really doesn't tax a CPU much, not like running some thread-hungry VST, anyway. I'm surprised your clients didn't op for the i7-6850k or similar instead.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:
Typically running large orchestral templates... pulling heavy disk-streaming polyphony from multiple SSDs.
Curious, as disk streaming from SSD's really doesn't tax a CPU much, not like running some thread-hungry VST, anyway. I'm surprised your clients didn't op for the i7-6850k or similar instead.
Many do opt for the 6850k. :wink:
For those not pushing templates quite as far, the 6850k is a great choice.

Those who run *huge* orchestral templates typically want/need all the machine they can get.
Note: These aren't typical users. These are folks pushing the limits of hardware.
ie: Have you checked out the Hans Zimmer piano library?
Running it at small ASIO buffer sizes is a substantial load... on even the fastest of machines.
As nice as the 6850k is (and that's what I run myself), the 7900x yields more processing power.
20 processing threads at 4.5GHz vs. 12 processing threads at 4GHz.
For most users, the i9 is absolutely overkill.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Try running a few instances of Soothe on a track in high resolution mode and it will eat cpu cycles for breakfast and it is worth every sacrifice. Bring on the I9 and I am not a media composer. -

Presently exhausting my 4.2ghz - 4.5 ghz overclocked 3930K (quad channel) water cooled machine with UAD-2 cards and having to up the buffers on my dual raydats to 4096 to complete some of mixes. I would welcome the headroom.

Jim Roseberry wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
Many do opt for the 6850k. :wink:
For those not pushing templates quite as far, the 6850k is a great choice.

Those that want to run *huge* orchestral templates typically need all the machine we can build.
Note: These aren't typical users. These are folks pushing the limits of hardware.
ie: Have you checked out the Hans Zimmer piano library?
Running it at small ASIO buffer sizes is a substantial load... on even the fastest of machines.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”