Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Woodgardens wrote:Reminds me of a famous Beatle song:

" Project 5... Project 5... Project 5.... etc"
Thankfully you didn't say 'helter skelter'' :phew:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Enjoy your software while it lasts. It will become difficult to authorize your software when their website is gone because you reinstalled your operating system / got a new computer.
AMD Ryzen 3900X & RX 5700XT, 128GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, Akai MAX49 & MPD226, Steinberg UR44 & CMC controllers
Cubase Pro 13, Nuendo 13, Wavelab Pro 12, Dorico Pro 5, Rapid Composer v5, FL Studio 21

CTStump wrote:Rather than blaming the subscriptiom model this seems to confirm that in the corporate group think that the future is not desktop software as a viable investment platform in my opinion. The decline in sales warrants a decision in that direction.
This is a deeply silly conclusion to draw from this situation. The only thing this news tells us is that Cakewalk products, specifically, were not viable in the eyes of the Gibson corporation.

Making huge generalizations about ALL corporations and ALL desktop software out of that specific scenario is neither useful nor informative.

Especially considering the already rather beleaguered state of Sonar -- let's be honest, this DAW has been losing steam for years, and seemed dead to many folks years back -- this whole scenario addresses the viability of that product, not the concept of that type of product line.

Gibson Corp looked at Cakewalk Products and said, "Nah...." Is that really so surprising at this point in the development history of Cakewalk products? To take this information and decide that "Corporations say Desktop Software is Out !!!" is just totally absurd.

-M

mholloway wrote:
CTStump wrote:Rather than blaming the subscriptiom model this seems to confirm that in the corporate group think that the future is not desktop software as a viable investment platform in my opinion. The decline in sales warrants a decision in that direction.
This is a deeply silly conclusion to draw from this situation. The only thing this news tells us is that Cakewalk products, specifically, were not viable in the eyes of the Gibson corporation.

Making huge generalizations about ALL corporations and ALL desktop software out of that specific scenario is neither useful nor informative.

Especially considering the already rather beleaguered state of Sonar -- let's be honest, this DAW has been losing steam for years, and seemed dead to many folks years back -- this whole scenario addresses the viability of that product, not the concept of that type of product line.

Gibson Corp looked at Cakewalk Products and said, "Nah...." Is that really so surprising at this point in the development history of Cakewalk products? To take this information and decide that "Corporations say Desktop Software is Out !!!" is just totally absurd.

-M
That generalization was my opinion not a bonified fact. No need to get furious about whether or not speculation on my part would cause any harm.

It is getting harder to find software (except media platforms,audio, image CGI) for desktops than it is to find apps from the phone.

Take it or leave it. Even that is mere speculation whether or not it's relevant.

Holy crap. I sort of got used to seeing Cakewalk passed around every few years I actually didn't see this coming. I've been very negative toward them after all their mistakes, but I never once wished them ill will.

I also feel like I now hate Gibson. I mean, there's a serious pattern of shitty corporate behavior with this company. Acquire and kill... Acquire and kill... repeat chorus. Makes me feel kind of gross to own one of their guitars.

Also, what value can this possibly have for them? Was Cakewalk just a loss or do they expect to squeeze more blood from the stone by ... uh... killing off all the Cakewalk products...???? I guess I'll go read the press release for more info, but this corporate move just goes against any and all conventional logic and intuitiveness when crap like this goes down. It's not like Cakewalk was competition for them, so why did they even bother acquiring... just to kill it... ???!!

Corporatism.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

#savecakewalk ...It doesn't have to end like this. Get mad...get motivated...get organized!

fresh101 wrote:Get mad...get motivated...get organized!
Get another DAW :ud:

Wow. That so-called press release is a pile of garbage corporate speak. Acquisition strategy, blah blah blah... why don't corporations ever have any recognition of their own blatant bullshit speak? It's like a culture of mindless zombies. Socially isolated from the norm of human culture... Kind of like "clever" church signs.

Why does it get all funereal about Cakewalk's history by only talking about ONE sideline plugin product (an emulation of someone else's product at that!)? It makes sense to review the history of the company and it's products in a funeral, sure, but actually TALK about the products! I can't imagine a more offensive way to treat the company. Maybe no one is left there to care anymore.

Well, there it is. Long time in coming. Too bad Cakewalk's own leadership/corporate culture couldn't get its head on straight. I wonder who's left hanging in the wind and who's flying to comfort on a golden parachute...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

"May 2017 marks Cakewalk’s 30th Anniversary, so we’re throwing a year-long party—and everyone’s invited!"

Was signed: Craig Anderton

Source:

http://blog.cakewalk.com/tag/craig-anderton/

Companies like Gibson really aren't able to do anything "new" and up to date.
Same old recycled guitars

I have alternatives
I got, Ableton suite 9, and Presonus Studio One 3

Thinking about an upgrade from Bitwig 8-track
Or jumping to Ableton 10
Reaper

I'll wait an see where they are after 30 years ... :)

Gibson kills yet another famous brand name. :(

Suprised they made it this long to be honest. Sonar has been on a steady decline for years.
Last edited by DubLifeSD on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

And now the good news:

Buy Studio Instruments for only €29!

https://www.dijkmanmuziek.nl/cakewalk-s ... struments/

It would be funny if it weren't so sad. I bet that library is older than Cakewalk itself! :D

DubLifeSD wrote:Suprised they made it this long to be honest. Sonar has been at a steady decline for years.
i disagree, Sonar Platinum is the best Sonar.
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

Jace-BeOS wrote:Wow. That so-called press release is a pile of garbage corporate speak. Acquisition strategy, blah blah blah... why don't corporations ever have any recognition of their own blatant bullshit speak?
Well, people who create this bullshit talk make ten times as much money a year as must of us here and they are the only ones that are still left on the payroll of a company even if all other employees lost their jobs long ago.

So it seems like they are at least doing something right.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”