Good DAW To Use & Stick To?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Cubase Pro 13 REAPER Serum Studio One Professional

Ableton 10 will make every other daw look like a dinosaur. Its improvements are designed to make an already fast workflow even faster. It will sell more than any other, establishing a foothold in the market of the likes we haven't seen since microsoft, dominating, monopolizing, taking over as electronic music pervades all corners of the globe.

This is the Age of Ableton!

OK, you've convinced me!
:hug:
I'll buy Bitwig.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:OK, you've convinced me!
I'll buy Bitwig.
:tu: :clap: :party:
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Kinh wrote:Ableton 10 will make every other daw look like a dinosaur. Its improvements are designed to make an already fast workflow even faster. It will sell more than any other, establishing a foothold in the market of the likes we haven't seen since microsoft, dominating, monopolizing, taking over as electronic music pervades all corners of the globe.

:hihi:

Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

Live FTW!

:lol:

Michael L wrote:OK, you've convinced me!
I'll buy Bitwig.
troll at its finest
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Kinh wrote:Ableton 10 will make every other daw look like a dinosaur.
So far my experience of the Live beta is Live 10 is the dinosaur, it just takes forever to startup, close and load instruments. Even clicking on a folder in the so called library to open it up leads to 10 minutes of spinning circles.

Demo everything you can and decide whatever makes most sense to you, they all lack in some way, especially if you are on a budget, take into consideration prices of upgrading over time and all that.

If you dig Live, check out Bitwig. :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGmnfntSgd8
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Kinh wrote:I'm sorry but Ableton is the future.
Hardly.

And as far as music making, it all depends on how you make music. Not all people write music by turning on and off little loops; some people actually have taken the time to learn an instrument, learn about theory and composition and would need a DAW to record their performances, not just a bunch of step-sequenced, 4/4 riffs repeated for 8 minutes... turned on and off here and there.

Kinh wrote:What matters in daws above all is speed and practicality, something Cubase and Studio 1 just do not offer. I'm sorry but lets get real, they dont. You can do things in Ableton in one tenth of the time it takes you to do it in Cubase. Cubase is a mess.
Not if you know how to use Cubase and things like the Chord Track make trying ideas in compositions very quick and easy in Cubase..does Ableton have something like it? Not when I demoed it a few months ago. Did I overlook that?

Kinh wrote: Ableton caters to the music of today and therefore is the future.
LOL. So nothing else? No jazz? No Country? No Blues? No Rock? No Pop? No Prog Metal? Just electronic music made with Ableton. LOL!

Seems like you are basing your opinions on the kind of music you like and not the true picture of the vast and varied styles of music that are still doing very well. You may want to do a little research before making these claims;

https://www.statista.com/statistics/188 ... enre-2010/

According to this "the music of the future" lags dead last behind Latin music while the top seller in the US was rock... and here I thought rock was dead?

Kinh wrote: No, I'm simply saying the most successful producers in the world who aren't using Ableton could be even more successful.
Your right. Calvin Harris, Zedd, Tiesto, Hardwell, Martin Garrix, Alan Walker, Axwell, Avicii. Man these guys could really become so much more successful if only they used Ableton. That's Logical.

Considering your comment about Live 10 making every other DAW Obsolete... im just going to assume you are a troll and drop this.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Kinh wrote:Ableton 10 will make every other daw look like a dinosaur. Its improvements are designed to make an already fast workflow even faster. It will sell more than any other, establishing a foothold in the market of the likes we haven't seen since microsoft, dominating, monopolizing, taking over as electronic music pervades all corners of the globe.

how do u do MIDI orchestration ( still my favorite "trolling" question but really curious about it) / articulation/ keyswitching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Eu8pa4DGU
in AL, personally dropped Cubase because can't support modulation ( https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 81&t=46895 ), dropped AL/Bitwig because of the hardwired MIDI channel 1 in their inner MIDI routing
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

by the way did you buy it legal or ....... :P :P
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

aMUSEd wrote:
Kinh wrote:Ableton 10 will make every other daw look like a dinosaur.
So far my experience of the Live beta is Live 10 is the dinosaur, it just takes forever to startup, close and load instruments. Even clicking on a folder in the so called library to open it up leads to 10 minutes of spinning circles.
The beta works great here. Fast and stable.

JJ_Jettflow wrote:
Kinh wrote:I'm sorry but Ableton is the future.
Hardly.

And as far as music making, it all depends on how you make music. Not all people write music by turning on and off little loops; some people actually have taken the time to learn an instrument, learn about theory and composition and would need a DAW to record their performances, not just a bunch of step-sequenced, 4/4 riffs repeated for 8 minutes... turned on and off here and there.
If that's how you see Live maybe you should demo it again. Its a perfectly capable linear recorder/ arranger as well as a brilliant loop/jamming machine. It can do lots of time signatures other than 4/4 too. :P

Reaper!

Only if you are willing to learn to customize it, otherwise, it won't seem to behave and feel right.. and the overall look of it doesn't really help either... that's one of the reasons people go with Studio One when trying the two

Give Reaper more than a chance.. I had the demo 2-3 times over some years and it always didn't felt right to me... it was only after changing some shortcut keys, navigation and behaviors that was the 'aha' moment!

Reaper (+SWS) is awesome, it truly is! :clap:

Has a fairly hard learning curve, but after that, it could be 'the daw of your dreams' cause you can make it into what you want almost entirely in some cases! :) and then some more..

Spencer Maddox wrote:
Kinh wrote:Bypass studio one and cubase. Think future. Ableton is the future, studio one and cubase are the past.
Protools and ableton. The only 2 you need.
Before I say anything I use Ableton alot with the push.
I love ableton/push and still swear by it for parts of my production process.

But this comment is honestly ludicrous. Not the part promoting Ableton. I did the same to OP since it was what he had and was familiar with. But the referral of Cubase and S1 as in the past...
Cubase and Studio one are not "the past"
Infact Cubase just released fantastic 9 and 9.5 updates in the past calender year. And Studio One had some great point updates as well.
Most of the major daws at this point are on close to the same paying feild in 2017. There is no daw that is truly significantly more "future" biased then any other ones.
Infact in some regards ableton if anything is stuck in the past with no support for MPE ( the future of midi imo) no native pitch correction/Melodyne (Something that you'll find in S1, Cubase, Logic, Reason, FL, and even Waveform nowadays) and no VST3 (controversial but improving).
Just my 2 cents
Take it or leave it
Actually I don't like mocking other DAWs, but I ask for an advice, I've learned Ableton, I love fl studio but "didn't feel it" I fuckin love Cubase, but due to bad post system I can't order it & there's no online buying option! I like Studio one too but afraid of not "having everything I Want in it"

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”