Been using Guru for ages but need Ableton or Logic advice please

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trying to get back into the swing of making music and have been playing around with a newly purchased Maschine Mk2. I like the feel of it but just can't work nearly as fast as old Guru. The ability to throw steps down and pitch/shorten samples is real quick.

I've got a Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2 enroute for my NI stuff and would ideally like to stick with Guru for drums. Idea is to work with stems or vsti Guru within Ableton or Logic. Mainly doing various house forms and just want a fast workflow that isn't real buggy with either Guru or KK Mk2. Haven't used Ableton but have used Logic a little. Originally a Sonar/Nuendo daw user.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

btw I'm running an imac and mac air.

Researching Bitwig now.. looks maybe a bit more streamlined for both 32 and 64 bit. Hmm....

Atm...and I can vouch for this since moving from Propellerheads Reason to Studio One 3 in 2015, that SO3 is one of the most streamlined daws out there to get to grips with, workflow wise. If you wanted to use Rewire with Abelton for example, it's a simple drag and drop process. More on that here if it interests you... https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/studio ... udio-one-3

If you haven't already, you can download the free trial of the Pro version version, it becomes the fully functional Prime version after the trail. (You'll need to register an account on the presonus website to get access to the Pro 3 demo version)
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

bitwig does not support rewire.
which is unfortunate. it would be a 'deal-breaker' for me if it did.

Hirosky wrote:Researching Bitwig now.. looks maybe a bit more streamlined for both 32 and 64 bit. Hmm....
Yeah, Bitwig natively supports both 32 and 64 bit plugins. Plus you can Sandbox the plugins, so if a plugin crashes, the project doesn't and you just re-enable the plugin.

I have not used GURU in ages... I have Geist 2 which is basically the successor to it. Depending on your monitor size, you might look at it... scalable GUI and resizable browser!

Thanks for the input guys..

Just downloaded the Bitwig demo and recorded maybe 10 tracks from Guru. Pretty impressed with the layout and having the lateral sequencer view along with all the sub folders/options.

I'll have to put it through the paces tomorrow with the NI stuff and also try running a bunch of effects.

pdxindy wrote:
Hirosky wrote:Researching Bitwig now.. looks maybe a bit more streamlined for both 32 and 64 bit. Hmm....
Yeah, Bitwig natively supports both 32 and 64 bit plugins. Plus you can Sandbox the plugins, so if a plugin crashes, the project doesn't and you just re-enable the plugin.

I have not used GURU in ages... I have Geist 2 which is basically the successor to it. Depending on your monitor size, you might look at it... scalable GUI and resizable browser!
How stable is Geist 2 in Bitwig? I was looking at Geist 2 before but have been happy chuggin' away with Guru.

Very very stable... no problems at all here

Hirosky wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

How stable is Geist 2 in Bitwig? I was looking at Geist 2 before but have been happy chuggin' away with Guru.
I have not had any trouble in the time I have used them together.

I like creating patterns in Geist because it is faster than in Bitwig. You can then drag the pattern from Geist straight to a Bitwig clip launcher slot. Also, because Bitwig has hybrid tracks, you can then Bounce that clip in place straight to audio should you want... a powerful and fluid workflow.

Also, Geist 2 is a fine sampler. It is easy to record your own synths (hardware or software) straight to pads, or layers of pads. With the transient mode, you can play hit after hit and it assigns them all for you. In a short time you can record a bunch of synth hits. You can also play in Chromatically. Geist is fantastic for sampling some of my more cpu hungry plugins.

A few of the things I really like about Geist 2 (over Guru or Geist 1). Each engine is no longer limited to 16 pads. You have up to 64. I remember wanting 18 or 20 and how clumsy it was to have to use 2 engines.

Also, each lane can have its own individual track length... so much easier than previously to do complex rhythms. You have the transmod system. Fantastic modulation. It sounds great and integrates well with Bitwig.

My minds blown.. the hybrid tracks are amazing. That's gonna speed things up tremendously.

I took another look at Geist 2 and it does look a bit more involved, in a good way. I looked up "clip launcher slot" and couldn't find it. How are you dragging into Bitwig?

Using it as a sampler to save on cpu is quite brilliant. Are you doing this while in Bitwig or as standalone?

One thing that frustrates me with Guru is sometimes one of my sections doesn't load when moving between sections. Hopefully that's been resolved.

Hirosky wrote: I took another look at Geist 2 and it does look a bit more involved, in a good way. I looked up "clip launcher slot" and couldn't find it. How are you dragging into Bitwig?
In Geist 2... Pattern tab... just above the track lanes on the right side are the 24 patterns for the selected engine. Grab the desired pattern of the 24 and drag it to an open slot in the clip launcher.

That sounds pretty easy! Thanks for all the input bud. Really liking Bitwig 2.2 right now and am about to pull the trigger.

My vote goes to Bitwig, amazing DAW.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Geist 2 and Bitwig are both great- I have them both. But I also really like the workflow of Ableton Live with its drum racks and Simpler for slicing. It’s very fast and straightforward. Especially in combination with Push, it makes for a great workflow.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

An alternative you might wanna check out for drums is Xfer Nerve.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”