Trackpad or trackball mouse for your sequencer?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

From what I'm experiencing the trackpad on my mac air is much more responsive and accurate compared to my trackpad on my iMac. I've put new batteries in and still it's not as responsive or smooth. Dragging audio slices around is a bit of a pain at the moment with bitwig. Has anyone tried to the trackpad 2? Gonna give the big Elecom a shot either way.

Hirosky wrote:Dragging audio slices around is a bit of a pain at the moment with bitwig
I'm assuming you use 3-button drag?

Hightlight, option,and drag while holding down the pad.

Hirosky wrote:Hightlight, option,and drag while holding down the pad.
No! Within trackpad settings you should have the option to select 3-finger drag. You can also set it to lock, but that's really annoying.

With this functionality, you just place the cursor on whatever you want to drag, and you can drag with 3 fingers, then release to drop. This is assuming that you have tap to click already set.

If you want even more functionality, take a look at bettertouchtool :tu:

https://www.boastr.net

And if you've never tried a Wacom, and you have an Amazon account, I'd recommend taking advantage of their generous refund policy to see if it suits you. The cheapest units are perfectly fine. I can't overstate the difference these have made to me. Having had both my wrists operated on (carpal tunnel), I'm hyper-aware of rsi issues. The Kensington expert was a huge step up from a mouse. The Wacom is a game-changer

Oh yes I use the three finger drag but it doesn't always respond for some reason, mainly on my iMac.

Ya know the Wacom sounds interesting but I'm a little hesitant. I'm left handed and so used to using my right hand for controlling things lol. Maybe I'll see if I can demo one in store somewhere.

Hirosky wrote:Oh yes I use the three finger drag but it doesn't always respond for some reason, mainly on my iMac.

Ya know the Wacom sounds interesting but I'm a little hesitant. I'm left handed and so used to using my right hand for controlling things lol. Maybe I'll see if I can demo one in store somewhere.
It can be set up for left or right hand.

As for trying in store: Probably won't be a positive experience. It's not so much that it takes a little getting used to (which, of course, it does), but there are a few tweaks that I would recommend making in the settings that completely shift the experience to the positive. A shop setting is unlikely to have it set up that way.

I don't think it took me more than a day of use to get used to it, but definitely longer than you'd get at a store.

If you ever do decide to go for it, shoot me a 'pm'. I can advise which model to get, along with sharing the settings I use to make the whole thing such a joy.

All the best :tu:

Oh I bet it works both ways..

Appreciate you're input I'll definitely keep an open mind. It's been a process of elimination thus far.

Having had both my wrists operated on (carpal tunnel), I'm hyper-aware of rsi issues. The Kensington expert was a huge step up from a mouse. The Wacom is a game-changer
My thoughts - get up and move around. I have a standing desk FYI. There's a stool too for sitting; for what it's worth staying healthy behind a desk while working is 1st priority. I went to animation school I stopped sitting a few years ago. I had the most expensive lazyboy chair and a ergo tire stool... and left those behind. I can't stress that any inkling of issues means change the way you are working; as there are always early signs. That's why I have two different trackballs - as I do work in technology as my day gig. Back home I was feeling pain getting on my own music.

Elbo points are valid. So if that is something you are worried about - injury - it's solid advice.
Oh yes I use the three finger drag but it doesn't always respond for some reason, mainly on my iMac.
This sounds like a hardware issue alone - have you tried just a new trackpad? or possibly a different port? maybe borrow a friend's trackpad?

geqfreq wrote:
Having had both my wrists operated on (carpal tunnel), I'm hyper-aware of rsi issues. The Kensington expert was a huge step up from a mouse. The Wacom is a game-changer
My thoughts - get up and move around. I have a standing desk FYI. There's a stool too for sitting; for what it's worth staying healthy behind a desk while working is 1st priority. I went to animation school I stopped sitting a few years ago. I had the most expensive lazyboy chair and a ergo tire stool... and left those behind. I can't stress that any inkling of issues means change the way you are working; as there are always early signs. That's why I have two different trackballs - as I do work in technology as my day gig. Back home I was feeling pain getting on my own music.

Elbo points are valid. So if that is something you are worried about - injury - it's solid advice.
This sounds like a hardware issue alone - have you tried just a new trackpad? or possibly a different port? maybe borrow a friend's trackpad?
I initially was looking for a standing desk but couldn't find the right chair for my back ugh.. great idea for sure.

I should say I've got a bit of carpel tunnel from fishing,guitar, and working as a fabricator during the day. The trick has always been to change things up and work different muscles. Once I find the right mouse I'm sure I'll have to find an alternative ugh..

The trackpad on my ladies macpro is as responsive as my macair, but no I've not used another trackpad in some time. I'll have to go into mac and check one out along with the new trackpad 2.

Logitech wireless trackball FTW!

geqfreq wrote:

I do get up and move around, and currently working on a plan to do more of it. I also did the standing-desk thing for about a year, four years ago. One problem was that I had a physical job, and so when I finished, and wanted to do music etc., the last thing I needed was to be on my feet. The other thing I found was that while the energy worked fine for jamming, writing, and recording, I found it too difficult to focus on detailed tasks like editing etc. Of course, I had a normal desk so I could switch between the two. In the end, I just got more done while sitting and being conscious of taking breaks/stretching etc.

Now I don't work in the same capacity, I have been thinking to get some extendable A/Y frames for a standing-desk option, but having the alternate setup on the floor (I used to have a floor set-up studio, and getting all half-lotus while jamming was a lot of fun :tu:

As for my Carpal tunnel: That was actually about 12 years ago, and had nothing to do with desks, mice etc., but everything to do with long hours labouring, and heavy lifting. It's since those operations, that I have become much more aware of how things affects my hands, wrists etc. I tried sensitive gaming mice, vertical mice, trackballs, and then finally settle on the Wacom.

The only downside to the Wacom is having to pick up the pen each time to use it. It's not an issue when you are editing, mixing, navigation the daw etc. However, if your playing an instrument and just want to change a parameter, it can be mild annoyance. That's why I keep a track pad i use. It's much easier to just make an adjustment with something that is set in place.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”