why are live and bigwig the only DAWS to have clip launchers ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's fun to jam with the clips meanwhile recording them into the arranger and then go back and edit in the arranger view
Amazon: why not use an alternative

shidostrife wrote:I have the free Live Lite from my interface. Watched some youtube videos and tried working with the session view myself.

I finished one very simple intro track (1:01) in one day.
With Cubase, I could finish fully arranging one or two regular-length songs for the time taken.

So no, not everyone wants clip launching. Linear DAWs have their own set of users, different from clip launching "beatmakers" or "producers", and we don't need clip launching integrated in our DAW.
Cubase also knows, this is the so called 'Triggering the Arranger Track with MIDI Notes' feature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ByZHkzD20

from 11:20
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

shidostrife wrote:So no, not everyone wants clip launching.
Good point....
Linear DAWs have their own set of users, different from clip launching "beatmakers" or "producers", and we don't need clip launching integrated in our DAW.
...spoiled by a lack of consistency. Not all linear DAW users dont want clip launching.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:Not all linear DAW users dont want clip launching.
Yup!! I'm in Logic, and I want clip launching. Then we all can haz beatz :wheee:

Well, sorry that I use totem pro parte a lot.

cakewalk project 5 had it ... it was ahead of everything else at the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMVJY3x ... jPn-LRC32L
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

"Cantible and Mainstage are for that ... just like Ableton and Bitwig are for a certain workflow. Trying to jam that "writing" technique into linear DAWs is counterproductive IMO."

I see we have a different slant on what we expect from a DAW called 'LIVE' - I view it as primarily a live performance software with linear DAW capabilities on the side, rather than the reverse. I am not requiring a 'writing' technique, I want a performance tool. I have little interest in a final recorded product - I'm aware of my own compositional limitations and the lack of any viable music industry vehicle that could capitalize on my output. As I'm not a glossy young pop star, nor a highly accredited classical/cinematic composer, I just want to present it to people who may actually be interested. Aside from orchestral, it might also be said that if you can't bring it live, you don't actually have it in the first place. (Or might be said if you are an opinionated a-hole like myself :))

As for Mainstage, like Logic, the AU spec permits zero creative MIDI routing - no MIDI out from devices, no inter-track MIDI. Cantabile to my knowledge is not MAC capable. There are smaller players like LiveProfessor, Gigrack, etc. but they all fail on basic stuff like successfully presenting the GUI of some VSTi's.

Since we are talking about Live and BWS (both of which I have), the Clip Launcher/Session View is not just about pre-canned clips. In fact, I've never used it that way. I've only ever used it for composition, quickly hammering out a layered riff in different variations until I have enough to go linear.

So it's definitely not cheating, and the whole point of having a clip launcher, IMO, is either getting to linear faster and more efficiently, or for performance. But I'm not a DJ...

The session view or "clips" allow to make non linear composition possible, combining parts of different tracks without caring where in the timeline they were planning to be. It is also very fast to create variations with them: write one, duplicate, writ .

It is also quite usefull for improvisation to get out of the Timeline mentality.
dedication to flying

teilo wrote:Since we are talking about Live and BWS (both of which I have), the Clip Launcher/Session View is not just about pre-canned clips. In fact, I've never used it that way. I've only ever used it for composition, quickly hammering out a layered riff in different variations until I have enough to go linear.

So it's definitely not cheating, and the whole point of having a clip launcher, IMO, is either getting to linear faster and more efficiently, or for performance. But I'm not a DJ...
Same here... I never use pre-made loops or clips. I only record my own and the Clip Launcher is an open and flexible environment to experiment in before eventually moving to the linear Arranger. Plus one can also record into linear tracks while playing a complex arrangement of clips and/or switching scenes in the launcher and so on. Bitwig has good integration between the two.

I don't use loops, make quantized music or even mouse in midi data, yet I start every project by recording performed parts in midi or audio in the Session view. And because of it, I don't even have to arrange with a mouse, I can play or conduct the composition to a linear arrangement.

Then again, what purpose does it serve to try and explain the fantastic possibilities of such a tool to the willfully ignorant and prejudiced idiots.

Apratim wrote:nope they are not
Reaper has - https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/
fl studio has its own
and other daws may have their own

the only thing is ableton popularized this clip launching thing
No, Reaper doesn't have Session view. Playtime is a paid 3rd party extension, based on a hack of writing and deleting items at the end of the time line, implemented poorly, is buggy and feels clunky to use.

Ableton invented it and Live became popular because musicians found it awesome.

Project 5 had it,but it was hardly ahead of everyone else.
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

tldr:

Other DAWs have clip launchers.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”