It's been a few months now...Sonar refugees, how's the new DAW working?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's if you are trying to get up to speed with something you purchased as a replacement.

Sonar still works but I'm kinda interested to read about whether your satisfied or feel let down by your choice. Does it work? What do you miss?

Inquiring me would like to know. :?

I was already using multiple DAWs when the Cakewalk announcement was made, but I bought the Samplitude Pro X3 Suite deal as a backup. I already had experience working in other versions of Samplitude, so no new learning curve -- just getting acquainted with new features. Plug-in management/organization and interface are the biggest let downs for me.

I consider the DAW that I mix in to be my "main" DAW, and that continues to be SONAR.

telecharge wrote:I was already using multiple DAWs when the Cakewalk announcement was made, but I bought the Samplitude Pro X3 Suite deal as a backup. I already had experience working in other versions of Samplitude, so no new learning curve -- just getting acquainted with new features. Plug-in management/organization and interface are the biggest let downs for me.

I consider the DAW that I mix in to be my "main" DAW, and that continues to be SONAR.
In addition to the OP's question, I've one of my own and that's to simply ask, that if you had the option to turn back time, what would you have chosen instead ? Because there was a few offers by some other developers directed towards Sonar users with the demise of the development of Sonar, from the likes of Presonus and Steinberg..
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I always used a number of daws along with SPlat: Cubase, S1, Samplitude so I the hit wasn't too hard on my workflow.
Having said that, I miss Sonar dearly and would rather use it. The only thing that stops me from doing that is the uncertainty on whether it'll work in the future and the psychological bias of perceiving it as a dead platform.
RIP Sonar - I loved working with you
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

@THE INTRANCER

Good point. That was what I was wondering about. All these bargain sales that targeted Sonar User's.

Can't blame em for taking advantage of the situation just wondering whether those that bought a new DAW are regretting or happy they did. Some of those sales were flat out great but after one gets a while with one they may find out what they were missing or find that it wound have been better to wait and demo a bit more.

I've been with Sonar on and off. Still do a lot of work with it but left after 8.5 as far as updating. Dabbling with HS a little I found a little missing myself so I'm back to 8.5. I'm an old dog that is kinda set to the way I'm used too working.

THE INTRANCER wrote:In addition to the OP's question, I've one of my own and that's to simply ask, that if you had the option to turn back time, what would you have chosen instead ? Because there was a few offers by some other developers directed towards Sonar users with the demise of the development of Sonar, from the likes of Presonus and Steinberg..
I've been with Cakewalk longer than any other developer other than Arturia, so I probably would have still gone with SONAR. FWIW, I've been using it since X3. I still think they offered the best complete package if you factor in the great instruments and FX you get with Pro/Platinum.

I've not yet given up hope that SONAR will live on, but I have no idea what Gibson's plans are. I doubt too many of us would have bought into lifetime updates if we knew Gibson would be shuttering Cakewalk, though. :?

We'll have to see how much the next version is gonna cost, but the Samplitude X3 Pro Suite deal is the one to beat, IMO. You know a deal is good when people are asking if it's legit. :D

I was new to Sonar (it was my first DAW), and I moved to Cubase. 99% of what I do is Midi, so it made sense to me. I'm learning Cubase now, and it's going OK. I recently rebuilt my Daw from scratch, and didn't even install any Cakewalk products.

I've been very happy with Studio One and really wish I'd checked it out when I was looking at Sonar.
Last edited by neverwhere2410 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neverwhere2410 wrote:I've been very happy with Studio One and really wish I'd checked it out where I was looking at Sonar.
I've been with Studio One for a while version 2.6 that is. Version 3 really hasn't got me interested. It's got alot of great features but it is too radical of an interface for me. I dabble with prime but it still is too bold contrast wise. Sonar home studio is the same. I notice the simularities with Studio One, almost as if Sonar ripped off some of it's features and GUI. ARA has been with Studio One a lot longer but some Sonar User's still ask if it has it, kinda funny in a humorous way.

I can see how it would be a close substitute for Sonar Platinum.

TBH, i also hope they work on the interface for version 4 of Studio One. I mean, you can work with it, but, especially compared to Cubase, or Logic, it isn't that good really. Lack of contrast, and it gets very messy, if the project is a bit more complex. It's as if the GUI gets a hell of a lot less manageable, the more you add, and have opened. OK, that's just natural up to a point, but, the lack of contrast simply adds to it, because the different GUI parts are simply less defined, and obvious. I'm pretty sure the devs are aware of that though.

I got the Tracktion Waveform + Pack for $75 when they had the 50% off sale. Overall I'm glad I went with it. I really miss not being able to have a hours: minutes: seconds timeline displayed simultaneously with a measures: bars: beats timeline. Not seeing waveforms being drawn during playback for the matter and submix busses is a little odd.
There's no console emulation and now I'm wondering how important was it? I had already started using iZotope Nectar and Neutron for channel strips so I don't miss the ProChannel much. Racks in Waveform more than makes up for that. I had trouble with audio dropouts with SPlat on my new computer I built this fall but Waveform is dropout free. I also looked at Reaper which also runs dropout free but liked Waveform more. I can also recreate my custom plugins list. The keyboard shortcuts and macros are nice too.

The biggest moment of realizing my relationship with Sonar was over came when I swapped out the old computer keyboard with Sonar shortcut stickers on it for a new mechanical backlit one. I guess kinda like taking off wedding rings for divorced couples.

Stinks about Sonar, but it isn't touching Studio One.

Steve Bolivar wrote:There's no console emulation and now I'm wondering how important was it? I had already started using iZotope Nectar and Neutron for channel strips so I don't miss the ProChannel much.
I guess that depends how much you like it and use it. I've gotten A LOT of use out of ProChannel. The console emulations are just one module, but I would agree they're not a difference maker. Neutron and Nectar cost a pretty penny, so I'm grateful to have ProChannel included.

I've moved to Mixcraft, pretty happy. Much more stable / less flakey with large projects on my setup than SPLAT or S1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

I'm in a few chatrooms (discord/irc) online with a number of Sonar users, thusfar it seems like most of them have been moving to Cubase.

Overall it seems like the most logical choice.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”