New Reason 10 owner, where to start?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Winstontaneous wrote: - Many of the ancient instruments including Subtractor are fun and useful but the old filters sound like cardboard (and I mean the thin cereal box stuff, not a burly corrugated refrigerator box :lol: ), especially on the Dr. Rex loop player. These were developed when computers were about 10X slower and had much less RAM. Would love to see an optimized update for all the old devices.
You can use external filters obviously, like this for example: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... -classics/
Winstontaneous wrote: - Don't think there's a way to solo FX returns
You can use Control Room or - even better - route sends to separate mixer tracks, that you can then solo, bounce, etc.
Winstontaneous wrote: - Realtime sampling is cool but there's no simple way to record arbitrary combos of tracks/master as audio in realtime - this is so easy in Ableton ("Resampling" input on an audio track) or Reaper ("Receive from all tracks"). NOT talking about render or bounce in place - I mean old-school analog style where you record what you're hearing in realtime either as stems or stereo mix).
Yes, you can - just tick the "Rec Source" button on given mix channel(s), create new audio track, select that channel(s) as a input for audio track, hit record. It's as easy as in Live, actually.

------

Frankly, most of your "don't like" points are a result of you thinking about Reason in terms of "regular" DAW instead of approaching it like a modular system. Sure, sometimes it's few more clicks, but it's very flexible once you understand it :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Is there any way to transfer the Reason 9 content refill to Reason 10 or is it all duplicated anyway? It doesn't seem to be in a discrete place on the HD like the other refills?

Just a question that might help me decide whether to buy reason. Basically if rewired into cubase can I use vst? I have no REs and the basic reason sound generatorsare not that great so being able to use VST is important.
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

ericj23 wrote:Just a question that might help me decide whether to buy reason. Basically if rewired into cubase can I use vst? I have no REs and the basic reason sound generatorsare not that great so being able to use VST is important.
Since v9.5 Reason runs VSTs natively.
Music tech enthusiast

ericj23 wrote:Just a question that might help me decide whether to buy reason. Basically if rewired into cubase can I use vst? I have no REs and the basic reason sound generatorsare not that great so being able to use VST is important.
VSTs don't appear in Reason when using it as a slave device to Ableton and Tracktion for me. I think it's part of the Rewire protocol that it's not allowed.

Sure - you can use VST in Cubase while having Reason ReWired as a slave. But not in Reason, because:
dogzilla wrote:VSTs don't appear in Reason when using it as a slave device to Ableton and Tracktion for me. I think it's part of the Rewire protocol that it's not allowed.
Correct. And from what I understand (please take this with a grain of salt), the way in which Reason implements VST's actually utilize some of ReWire's "tech".
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:
Sure - you can use VST in Cubase while having Reason ReWired as a slave. But not in Reason, because:
dogzilla wrote:VSTs don't appear in Reason when using it as a slave device to Ableton and Tracktion for me. I think it's part of the Rewire protocol that it's not allowed.
Correct. And from what I understand (please take this with a grain of salt), the way in which Reason implements VST's actually utilize some of ReWire's "tech".
Thanks

Live does the same, but i hoped some magic from propellerheads solved this. Lost a customer here, as I don't want to start a project in one DAW and then move the entire project to another to finish it.

Oh well ~more money for beer
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

Some years ago I bought a used book. It's called Power Tools for Reason 3 by Kurasaki. I think this is the Bible for Reason users (or maybe it was!).

It's old book but I think most of the techniques are still relevant today.

There are of course the excellent manual and their YouTube channel.

I used Reason back and forth since version 2.5, so it's kind of nostalgia feeling to that time is also a reason to buy Reason :D

EnGee wrote:Some years ago I bought a used book. It's called Power Tools for Reason 3 by Kurasaki. I think this is the Bible for Reason users (or maybe it was!).

It's old book but I think most of the techniques are still relevant today.

There are of course the excellent manual and their YouTube channel.

I used Reason back and forth since version 2.5, so it's kind of nostalgia feeling to that time is also a reason to buy Reason :D
That was written by Kurt Kurasaki, also known as "Peff. He has a stutter beat Rack Extension in the PropShop, and partnered with Sonic Charge for a beat-up tape emulation called CrapRE (and CrapRE 2). He's a good guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8csEqV3gxAk
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:
That was written by Kurt Kurasaki, also known as "Peff. He has a stutter beat Rack Extension in the PropShop, and partnered with Sonic Charge for a beat-up tape emulation called CrapRE (and CrapRE 2). He's a good guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8csEqV3gxAk
Yes I remember those 'strange' Rack Extensions! It was like the end of his participation? I got the feelings that he abandoned Reason after those RE? But anyway, he is a great teacher IMO. (Damn! I don't remember where I put his book! :mad: )

Anyway to move the 3 gigs of sample data and patches etc without creating a junction link, on Windows?

I dont want them on my C drive
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I was using VST instruments directly in Reason 7 in 2013, namely Reaktor instruments (or ensembles as they are called), it didn't involve using Rewire, but a small utility called LoopMidi and an audio interface with loopback capability. Four years later, Propellerheads introduce native VST2 support... too late for me.

Admittedly it's a workaround, but technically it is possible to use both external instruments from other software and native VST's in Reason simultaneously to a certain extent if one wanted to.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Anyway to move the 3 gigs of sample data and patches etc without creating a junction link, on Windows?

Find the directory on C: where the files are.
Move the whole directory to new location.
Open Windows prompt (type cmd.exe in Start menu)
Type "mklink /j link taget" where link is the old directory where files were, target is the path to new location (if link and/or target contain spaces, put them in "")
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Anyway to move the 3 gigs of sample data and patches etc without creating a junction link, on Windows?

Find the directory on C: where the files are.
Move the whole directory to new location.
Open Windows prompt (type <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">cmd.exe</span> in Start menu)
Type "mklink /j link taget" where link is the old directory where files were, target is the path to new location (if link and/or target contain spaces, put them in "")
Gee whiz...shouldn't they just provide support for that in the "preferences"? :lol: :hihi: :clap:

chk071 wrote:Or just rewire Reason into another DAW, and enjoy the best of both worlds. :)
Useful thread. :idea:
How handy the rewiring is?

I consider investing $ 99 for the Reason 10, I have registered adaptive (I think its 3) version in my Propellerheads account, which I ´ve never used, even installed.

Previously Logic user, today Live 9 user.
Although $ 99 is, of course, a bargain, I hesitate integrating a totally new, separate system to my DAW.
We all know, that the TIME :!: is a real factor for us, how to get time to learn using all the features of the new things. I have already pending at least 10 plugins for the closer inspection.

I have never rewired anything (if the jBridge does not count?).
What kind of work flow would be best for the Live 9 + Reason 10. Do the vst work well, etc.?
Music genre is mainly indie films, ads, pop/rock, electronic with classical twist. :?:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”