Cakewalk is dead. Long live Cakewalk!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER SONAR SONAR Platinum

That was more related to the total hopeless insanity that is Gibson rather than an insult to the state of Presonus. The fact that Presonus is a really strong company was the point. Gibson would buy this successful company and ruin it. Don't forget, whether posted or not, everything's for sale, even Presonus, especially when VC is involved.

Steve Bolivar wrote:That was more related to the total hopeless insanity that is Gibson rather than an insult to the state of Presonus. The fact that Presonus is a really strong company was the point. Gibson would buy this successful company and ruin it. Don't forget, whether posted or not, everything's for sale, even Presonus, especially when VC is involved.
The chairman was put is $1 milli in presonus as they started up. The chairmain is on the board of directors for whole foods, and is a local NO resident. Interesting the investors who gave Presonus money's are musicians also. Go figure.

beatmangler443 wrote: The chairmain is on the board of directors for whole foods
Maybe Amazon will buy PreSonus. They bought Whole Foods, right? :lol:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:
beatmangler443 wrote: The chairmain is on the board of directors for whole foods
Maybe Amazon will buy PreSonus. They bought Whole Foods, right? :lol:
:wink:

telecharge wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:I've never used Sonar but great news!
It seems people from Norway are good sports in more than one way. :wink:
:wink:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Let's hope they do good things with it.

The rebirth is getting near by the stated timeline and a few hints dropping about hardware(VS700) support being reestablished. The DAW formally known as Sonar may be here sooner than anticipated.

I notice the lack activity on the board here, wondering if maybe it might be a flop for new customers. The forum at Cakewalk(BandLab) is very active these days.

Do y'all think another DAW may be too much for the market or just a placebo for diehard Sonarites? :?

Well I wouldn't say the forums were "Very active', they are a little more active than the last few months, but compared to before they are still like a ghost town. A large number of people have left, and going by what they say on other forums have no intention of returning to SONAR now that they have climbed out from under that rock and experienced what they have been missing out on, and what they have been putting up with over the years with Cakewalk and SONAR, a lot of their comments say exactly that, and these are long time users who were staunch SONAR/Cakewalk fanbois. Cakewalk/SONAR are still dead, this is just prolonging the death sequence and final burial.

So they were bought by 'Toys R Us' I mean BandLab, a start up company that is financed through 2018 (sure there is billionaire parents in the background) everything they make (Software)seems to be free, they have a couple of dinky little audio interfaces that no one has heard of, they own part of Rolling Stone and a couple of other things, their software (DAW) is mostly regarded as a toy. I give it 2 years max and they will be looking to unload SONAR, just as Roland and Gibson have done in the past, Cakewalk is and has always been a money looser, that is no secret, the info is available, well established companies like Roland and Gibson (current problems aside) couldn't do anything to turn it around, why should anyone think that some 'Toys R Us' startup will do any better. The fact is SONAR and most Cakewalk products were never very popular outside their closed circle, they were never well received outside that small closed circle. Cakewalk/SONAR have and always have had major reputation/image problems, and well deserved at that, it's going to take a lot more than just a re branding and being tacked on to a social media tool to even begin to get back to it's former mediocrity. But I wish 'Toys R Us' . . . I mean BandLab luck . . . they are going to need it :pray: .

2 max Years until deja vu :tu: :D :lol:
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote:Well I wouldn't say the forums were "Very active', they are a little more active than the last few months, but compared to before they are still like a ghost town. A large number of people have left, and going by what they say on other forums have no intention of returning to SONAR now that they have climbed out from under that rock and experienced what they have been missing out on, and what they have been putting up with over the years with Cakewalk and SONAR, a lot of their comments say exactly that, and these are long time users who were staunch SONAR/Cakewalk fanbois. Cakewalk/SONAR are still dead, this is just prolonging the death sequence and final burial.

So they were bought by 'Toys R Us' I mean BandLab, a start up company that is financed through 2018 (sure there is billionaire parents in the background) everything they make (Software)seems to be free, they have a couple of dinky little audio interfaces that no one has heard of, they own part of Rolling Stone and a couple of other things, their software (DAW) is mostly regarded as a toy. I give it 2 years max and they will be looking to unload SONAR, just as Roland and Gibson have done in the past, Cakewalk is and has always been a money looser, that is no secret, the info is available, well established companies like Roland and Gibson (current problems aside) couldn't do anything to turn it around, why should anyone think that some 'Toys R Us' startup will do any better. The fact is SONAR and most Cakewalk products were never very popular outside their closed circle, they were never well received outside that small closed circle. Cakewalk/SONAR have and always have had major reputation/image problems, and well deserved at that, it's going to take a lot more than just a re branding and being tacked on to a social media tool to even begin to get back to it's former mediocrity. But I wish 'Toys R Us' . . . I mean BandLab luck . . . they are going to need it :pray: .

2 max Years until deja vu :tu: :D :lol:
From a self proclaimed prophet that can predict the future? Where's my lotto numbers, bro?
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I get that feeling myself, damaged goods. I'm curious though as to what will be rolled out.

The easy thing to do would be the same thing where it ended so that wouldn't be a big surprise. Look's like something is coming down the pike.

Nah - Sonar is far from being dead - its feature set is still unrivaled and top-modern (multitouch support anyone?), it's just a little rough around the edges. If they manage to tidy it up properly and make it a less bug-prone experience, there'll be a comeback worthy of its name.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:(multitouch support anyone?)
AFAIK S1 has it.

EDIT: Yep, it does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgNDNR4vCCo

Yes, Tracktion too - but both can by far not reach Sonar's feature-set otherwise - for instance they do not have mixer-snapshots.

Whatever "DAW"-feature might come to your mind, it's very likely that Sonar has it.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Articulation mapping and note expression? :) Last time I checked Sonar didn't have those either.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have been misunderstood in regards to that in another thread before:

I did not say that Sonar is the only sequencer to have multitouch support, but it is one of very few.
I did not say it is the only sequencer to have mixer-snapshots, yet it is one of very few.

Sonar is the only one to have both though - and the same goes for a number of other features too. For instance it also has a clip-launching matrix similar to the one in Ableton Live - and so forth.

Really: when it comes to objectively considering its feature-set, it pisses all over its competition - that's a fact.

For me personally it's nonetheless not pleasant enough to work with it so that I would actually use it (albeit owning the last Platinum version).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”