Bouncing ball MIDI sequencing. How to in Cubase (or Live, FL Studio)?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bear with me this may be difficult to explain.

Imagine a dropped ball. The repeats get shorter and shorter after time before finally coming to a rest.
I would like to replicate this over the course of say 4 bars in Cubase 9.5.

Sure I can manually draw these in but it would be a complete time-consuming nightmare and I would never get the exponential curve exactly correct.

Is there a way to draw in this series of notes relatively accurately and quickly? I'm happy to use another such as Live or FL Studio (the only others I have) and then copy the MIDI file across to Cubase.

Also, instead of the "ball" coming to a complete rest at the end I would like it repeating well up into the range where it sounds like a single note but this is a nice to have and not a need to have.

I have seen this done by using a loop and shortening the loop length so this is my fallback option if I cannot work out another solution.

TIA
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Well, it's a LFO where the cycle frequency increases to infinity over y number of bars.

I don't have Cubase, but that effect doesn't strike me as hard to replicate, e.g. with a device that outputs a midi note at a given interval and then you automate the interval length on a curve in the DAW. Or a midi looper where you automate the loop length or something.

wasi wrote:Well, it's a LFO where the cycle frequency increases to infinity over y number of bars.

I don't have Cubase, but that effect doesn't strike me as hard to replicate, e.g. with a device that outputs a midi note at a given interval and then you automate the interval length on a curve in the DAW. Or a midi looper where you automate the loop length or something.
Yes precisely.

I need a MIDI plugin with LFO I can insert into Cubase to replicate the notes.

If you have M4L:

http://maxforlive.com/library/device/4496/gravity-delay

http://maxforlive.com/library/device/389/jbouncingball

[edit:]

If no M4L, you can try automating the Rate knob in a Arpeggiator. Maybe using the Arpeggiator's Velocity Decay and maybe a Note Length device after it?

In Live you can also "warp" the MIDI, so you can tweak manually by selecting all the notes then dragging a Pseudo MIDI Stretch Marker in the MIDI Editor's Stretch Area.

Do you know the strum tool in Fl Studios Piano Roll? You draw the desired number of notes as a chord, select them all and the strum tool modifies the relative start or end time of the notes. Parameters for time and tension let you define the (exponential?) curve. This might not be perfect in terms of physical modelling but it is quick and easy way to get something relatively close to a bouncing ball.

Arpeggiator and modulate arp speed?

Distorted Horizon wrote:Arpeggiator and modulate arp speed?
Hmmm, that is an idea. I never ever use arps so didn't think of this.

peersh wrote:Do you know the strum tool in Fl Studios Piano Roll? You draw the desired number of notes as a chord, select them all and the strum tool modifies the relative start or end time of the notes. Parameters for time and tension let you define the (exponential?) curve. This might not be perfect in terms of physical modelling but it is quick and easy way to get something relatively close to a bouncing ball.
To be honest I haven't used FL Studio for several years so I have no idea what it's capable of now.

What you're describing sounds quite sophisticated so perhaps it's time I give it another shot. Will try this tonight :tu:

pottering wrote:If you have M4L:

http://maxforlive.com/library/device/4496/gravity-delay

http://maxforlive.com/library/device/389/jbouncingball

[edit:]

If no M4L, you can try automating the Rate knob in a Arpeggiator. Maybe using the Arpeggiator's Velocity Decay and maybe a Note Length device after it?

In Live you can also "warp" the MIDI, so you can tweak manually by selecting all the notes then dragging a Pseudo MIDI Stretch Marker in the MIDI Editor's Stretch Area.
I just downloaded bouncing ball which looks like it could be the ticket 8)

Will report back :tu:

trigger envelope by lfo ( pulse clock ) .
ENvelope decay determines legth of sound .( thus multiplication of env *audio= necessary )
Lfo = bounce speed .
Choose soundsource ( fm is great for this ) , you could also use the same envelope to control pitch/phae modulation of sound source .
Or
If you have fl studio , choose sytrus ./
Route operator 1 dirctly to output , ring modulate operator 1 by operator 2 (this will function as our lfo ), set operator 2 to a low Hz
Make sure the waveform is a rectified saw wave , set shape button to 50 % ( enable half and absolute button under waveform ) and mess with the skew slider to make it more exponential
Modulate operator 2 by pitch envelope .( bouce speed ).

Do some basic fm on operetor 1 with other operators .
The only thing is that the envelope of operator 1 is not re-triggered , here the waveform of operetor 2 ( low hz and exp saw ) is used to modulate the amplitude of op1 ..kind of a naive windowing method

Result ...bouncy fm
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

The best implementations of this I've come across are in Usine and Lemur.

This is another take, kinda like the suggested arp automation workflows (but without needing the automation), you have to hold a note, and the transport has to be playing:

http://maxforlive.com/library/device/39 ... e-repeater

As someone mentioned, in FL, 'put a lot of vertically aligned notes', 'Strum with tension' and 'Limit it to single key range' give you midi notes gradually becoming faster.

Thanks everybody for replying to this. I did resort to simply automating the tempo and then bouncing the audio. However after revisiting it tonight I really wasn't satisfied so thought I'd have another go.

After a brainwave I thought I'd fire up the best synth ever made Serum and sure enough it's as easy as pie in there. I drew in my sequence into LFO1 and assigned it as per before. I then assigned LFO2 to control the speed of LFO1 and assigned that to the mod wheel.

I realise assigning LFO speed to another LFO isn't anything new but AFAIK not many synths allow you to draw in the curve thereby allowing it to become a step sequencer.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Cubase has an Midi LFO insert effect that you can assign to other parameters on a synth, effect, a fader, etc. I haven't used it yet (still new to Cubase) but I've seen it used in a Cubase Tutorial. It seems like it might be very useful come to think of it...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”