Sound forge 12 upgrade cost

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought the Soundforge, SpectraLayers, SampProX3 deal a few months back.

The SL serial doesnt allow me to upgrade but I can upgrade SF or the Suite withe the SF serial.

SL serial isnt recognised by the upgrade check, though it is registered.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

paulbreeze wrote:365 is a subscription. You can use always the latest one.
Yes, but I should also be able to use the latest one (except for major version changes) if I buy the product. Or am I missing something?
Fernando (FMR)

The cost was to be expected, and likely a good deal, particularly for those who
bought the humble bundle. I would think the time limit just a scare tactic, if
not for reports of previous upgrade costs. It makes no sense to remove it, as
that has to have been the goal of all those recent deals. Get people on the
upgrade path... Sure, try to scare people into paying, but actually removing
their opportunity to do so, would be idiotic.

pekbro wrote:The cost was to be expected, and likely a good deal, particularly for those who
bought the humble bundle. I would think the time limit just a scare tactic, if
not for reports of previous upgrade costs. It makes no sense to remove it, as
that has to have been the goal of all those recent deals. Get people on the
upgrade path... Sure, try to scare people into paying, but actually removing
their opportunity to do so, would be idiotic.
I don't know if the cost was expected, but compare it with the cost of the Wavelab Pro upgrade, which may be considered Sound Forge Pro main competitor. And Wavelab Pro includes spectral editing, which means we may consider it the Sound Forge Pro "Suite" (with the advantage we don't have to change between applications).
Fernando (FMR)

Yeah but I doubt too many paid $30 for Wavelab in the first place, which is
what many around here paid to qualify for the upgrade. Even those who paid
$150 (and they got a ton of additional stuff for that).

Anyway, for those at least, not an unreasonable price imo. :shrug:

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I bought the Soundforge, SpectraLayers, SampProX3 deal a few months back.

The SL serial doesnt allow me to upgrade but I can upgrade SF or the Suite withe the SF serial.

SL serial isnt recognised by the upgrade check, though it is registered.
Yes, strange that THAT December (to just recently>>ffs) deal allows SF and SL suite upgrade but does not recognise the SL serial no... It brings back the memories of having to registert the various Sam_P_X suite components at different sites. I guess Magix have still not resolved that situation>> :x

toonertik wrote: Yes, strange that THAT December (to just recently>>ffs) deal allows SF and SL suite upgrade but does not recognise the SL serial no... It brings back the memories of having to registert the various Sam_P_X suite components at different sites. I guess Magix have still not resolved that situation>> :x
Well, the recurrent issues I had with their registration / authorization system are a different story keeping me away yet. SF is registered on the "normal" Magix site while SL is on the Samplitude site. A mess! Once I updated my system several times but only with the regular updates on Win 10 the authorization system failed due to the fact authorizating too many times. I had to beg for reset by email but the answer to this requests came two weeks later. Total fail of the system and the support. Consider I would have been in a time critical job...

pekbro wrote:Yeah but I doubt too many paid $30 for Wavelab in the first place, which is
what many around here paid to qualify for the upgrade. Even those who paid
$150 (and they got a ton of additional stuff for that).

Anyway, for those at least, not an unreasonable price imo. :shrug:
True but even true: Loyal customers like me who paid their fees regularly feel screwed or are simply stupid :dog:

ReverendLove wrote:
True but even true: Loyal customers like me who paid their fees regularly feel screwed or are simply stupid :dog:
Yeah that sucks, maybe try complaining to them. I complained to Ableton about
having to pay the same for the upgrade to Live 10 as someone who didn't already
pay for Max 4 Live as an addon. They gave me a nice discount on the upgrade.

Worth a shot maybe...

pekbro wrote:
ReverendLove wrote:
Yeah that sucks, maybe try complaining to them. I complained to Ableton about
having to pay the same for the upgrade to Live 10 as someone who didn't already
pay for Max 4 Live as an addon. They gave me a nice discount on the upgrade.

Worth a shot maybe...
So, longtime users, who already have Sound Forge way before Magix bought it from Sony have to beg for a better deal, just because Magix decided to give it away lately? Right... :roll:

IMO, Magix f*cked it up, just like they did with Samplitude Pro X. I still remember the mess they created with that move, exactly with the first version they launched after having bought it. Now, they are repeating the scenario with Sound Forge. Way to go, Magix. :x
Fernando (FMR)

Well excuse me for trying to offer a suggestion and some empathy.

pekbro wrote:Well excuse me for trying to offer a suggestion and some empathy.
I appreciate that really and it was exactly what I asked them last Friday. The only thing what they did was confirming their offer as correct and just ignored my wish. They fail in being obliging totally.

ReverendLove wrote: I appreciate that really and it was exactly what I asked them last Friday. The only thing what they did was confirming their offer as correct and just ignored my wish. They fail in being obliging totally.
Many companies will give discount codes to placate unhappy customers.
That's why the Ableton rep provided me with one. Not because he was
trying to be a nice guy, but because he was specifically trained to do that.
An easy way to appease someone without actually giving them anything.

It's good to know, MAGIX doesn't value their customers as highly. Thanks.

-Cheers

Yeah, I bought the Samplitude Pro x3 bundle so I could get the free upgrade special before 2-28-2018, and now they say no free upgrade for bundle buyers.
Asus CM6870 3AB, i7 3770 Ivy, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 7TB Internal, Windows 8 64bit Pro,RME Firface UC, Reaper. Ableton Live 9, Sonar X2, Maschine.

riley4reason wrote:Yeah, I bought the Samplitude Pro x3 bundle so I could get the free upgrade special before 2-28-2018, and now they say no free upgrade for bundle buyers.
They don't have any kind of "grace period" (that's why they started to "give away" Sound Forge Pro 11). They just had (another) special offer, where someone could buy Sound Forge Pro 11 with a free upgrade to Sound Forge Pro 12. That's what made me suspect they would do this.

And what about buyers of Spectralayers v4? I bought it less than one month ago and I also didn't get any grace period.

Anyway, I tested the trial version, and it doesn't justify the price (it would hardly justify $99 IMO). It's basically the same application, just compiled for 64-bit. Even the VST plug-in scan and support keeps being the lousy job it was in the previous version, which forced me to create a special VstPlugIns folder just for Sound Forge. I'll keep my 32-bit application going on.
Last edited by fmr on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”