[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

I run 1 Win7 machine and 2 Win10 machines, but my DAW is on Win10 only. My Win7 is for fun and games only, and I do like it!

I understand the reluctance to move forward with your DAW, especially if you are running older hardware and software. But if you wish to run the latest DAW software, you will probably be better off in the long run making the switch to the latest OS, even if you must upgrade some hardware to do so.

The main reason that I mention this is that developers are building the DAW applications and testing mostly on the current OS. So the longer you lag behind, the further behind the curve you fall, and you risk painting yourself into a bigger corner case. Your bugs will become harder to reproduce and correlate with the majority of users who have moved on. So in a nutshell, you will be on your on for support, for better or worse. That is not a judgement or anything, but it is just the way the software development cycle and business works.

If you upgrade to Win10-Pro, you can have full control over when it updates, so no surprises. And with any PC or OS, if you take regular image backups you can roll back from any unwelcome surprises, OS, application, or disk failure. You should be doing that anyway!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Even with the Pro version of Windows 10, you can only defer updates for several months, not stop them completely. For that you need the Enterprise Edition which requires a volume-licensing agreement or monthly subscription fee.
Long Term Servicing Branch: The Long Term Servicing Branch is designed for enterprises who need rock-solid, stable software without the latest features. Enable this option and you’ll just receive security updates — no feature upgrades. This option is designed for PCs that really don’t care about new features — Microsoft says it’s for “systems powering hospital emergency rooms, air traffic control towers, financial trading systems, [and] factory floors.” The long-term servicing branch will have a mainstream support period of five years and an extended support period of another five years, for a total of ten years of security updates. The Long Term Servicing Branch is available only on Enterprise and Education versions of Windows. Typical users can’t get these versions of Windows — they require a big volume-licensing contract.
Windows 10 Pro costs £180 and you still don't have the same control that you have with the basic, premium, pro version of Windows 7 lol.

I've only ever performed one clean installation of Windows 7, on a 500 Gig hard drive and it still working fine after 8 and a half years... I've no time for Windows 10 which is tested by a bunch of trained monkeys...

and the nightmare of constantly trying to lock it down away from the builtin spyware for an eternity... I'll move to Linux permanently before selling my sanity to the devil...that is Windows 10. I'd only consider it if the 'The Long Term Servicing Branch' edition was with a fixed and reasonable consumer price. Until that time I'll be sticking with Windows 7 64 Bit & Linux Mint 18 + version that provides larger memory capacity than the Windows 7 64 Bit Premium restricts to 16 gigs). 16 Gigs is ample for music production for me as well as CGI related stuff thus far.

If it works, I don't try and fix it...because that's just asking for trouble.

So Presonus, you need to get that Hi-DPI fixed... which is really what all this talk about the Windows 10 operating system stems from.... in case there are people out there wondering why this subject has been brought up.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

chk071 wrote: I'm actually frequenting a Windows 10 support forum, and, the "long list of people reporting problems on every Windows 10 update" (well, the people posting in internet forums, the few out of 100's of millions of users world wide) mostly can blame themselves, because they use antivirus suites, which collide with the Windows 10 updates, because there's so much system intrusive bullshit features in those suites that it is no wonder that they prevent Windows from updating itself.
Well, that's a relief. I'll just pass this along to the idiots on the various DAW forums that it's their antivirus suites that causing the myriad of issues. I'm sure it never occurred to any of them it could be something so obvious!

Me, I'll stick with Win 8.1 until I upgrade my audio interface.

Thanks for helping/lecturing.

flugel45 wrote:
chk071 wrote: I'm actually frequenting a Windows 10 support forum, and, the "long list of people reporting problems on every Windows 10 update" (well, the people posting in internet forums, the few out of 100's of millions of users world wide) mostly can blame themselves, because they use antivirus suites, which collide with the Windows 10 updates, because there's so much system intrusive bullshit features in those suites that it is no wonder that they prevent Windows from updating itself.
Well, that's a relief. I'll just pass this along to the idiots on the various DAW forums that it's their antivirus suites that causing the myriad of issues. I'm sure it never occurred to any of them it could be something so obvious!

Me, I'll stick with Win 8.1 until I upgrade my audio interface.

Thanks for helping/lecturing.
No problem. Just get back to me when you need to learn some more of the basics. ;)

Wished we could have talked a bit more relaxed about this though, like adults. But, right from the start , you had that aggressive undertone, which obviously makes it impossible. A common thing with vehement Windows 7 (or… *cough cough* 8...) defenders, BTW.

And, Windows 8 was the worst Windows i ever used, regarding the GUI. But, that's just my opinion.

My Windows 7 desktop was working fine and I had no inclination or reason to update, until it died, then a bought a new system with Win 10 already on it and despite a few hiccups with Creator's Updates, all is well.

At any rate, at some point some of these products will probably just stop supporting Windows 7.

THE INTRANCER wrote:Even with the Pro version of Windows 10, you can only defer updates for several months, not stop them completely. For that you need the Enterprise Edition which requires a volume-licensing agreement or monthly subscription fee.
Sorry, but that is just 100% wrong. If you use the Group Policy Editor supplied in Pro (Pro is a $99 upgrade from Home), there is just one policy you need to disable (no registry hacks or killing services required).
gpedit.msc > Windows Components > Windows Update > "Configure Automatic Updates".

"If the status for this policy is set to Disabled, any updates that are available on Windows Update must be downloaded and installed manually. To do this, search for Windows Update using Start."

When this policy is disabled all automatic updates and deferral settings are removed from the Windows Settings UI. The only option you will see is "Check for Updates". Unless you click this button, nothing ever updates. No deferral settings available, or necessary. Just like Win7 (almost). :D
So Presonus, you need to get that Hi-DPI fixed... which is really what all this talk about the Windows 10 operating system stems from.... in case there are people out there wondering why this subject has been brought up.
Yes, that would be nice!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

To put this all in perspective, this would be like Apple users complaining that Studio One 4 doesn't run well on Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard, which was released in August 2009, a month after Windows 7 was released.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Without jumping into the radioactive mud pit that is the discussion about the merits of Win7 vs. Win10, I'd like to note that any dev who's abandoning Win7 compatibility/support at this time is shooting themselves in the head. I've stuck with Win7 for a lot of reasons, and I'm apparently not alone, as it still dominates the market despite Microsoft's hard sell to update. The title of this article is click-baity, but the numbers are the numbers.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... share.html
Last edited by GreyLion on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Can we please get back to Studio One 4 please?

billcarroll wrote:To put this all in perspective, this would be like Apple users complaining that Studio One 4 doesn't run well on Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard, which was released in August 2009, a month after Windows 7 was released.
Windows is a bit different than MacOS though. Software developers don't abandon 2 year old OS versions. *takes cover*

dbender wrote:Can we please get back to Studio One 4 please?
Have you contributed anything to this thread, cause I don't remember seeing any posts from you regarding Studio One 4.0... did you post in the other thread which has been merged with this one... (there's 40 pages now) what are your views on Studio One 4 ?
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

How are people liking the update? How’s stability and CPU usage on OS X? From the videos, it doesn’t seem like that great of an update to me - as in not worth $150 or a reason to switch from another DAW. I really wish they’d hire some new UI designers.

I can't comment on stability and CPU usage on MacOS, but... what i've seen so far (haven't done a whole lot with it yet), i really liked. Liked the GUI refinements (it's subtle, but, definitely improves the usability), the step sequencer is great, and really straight forward to use, Impact XT finally got layers per pad, and some long expected refinements as well, and Studio One boots faster here now as well. I don't know if it's worth what they are asking for (after all, that's pretty much down to personal preference, and, whether you need the new features or not), but, i can't say i'm disappointed about upgrading, rather the opposite.

5Lives wrote:How are people liking the update? How’s stability and CPU usage on OS X? From the videos, it doesn’t seem like that great of an update to me - as in not worth $150 or a reason to switch from another DAW. I really wish they’d hire some new UI designers.
Dunno about Mac OS and neither for the Windows platform as a maintenance update wasn't released to reveal issues, but I'd probably expect one to come out in the next couple of weeks if history repeats itself. I'd expect little if anything to have changed regarding stability and CPU usage from the recent 3.5.6 released a month ago....but you can track any issues users are having on the presonus forum with threads there on 4.0. There is a demo you can download..that you checkout... Plugin scanning is handled differently..so that should help circumvent issue's with problematic plugin's and the endless loop cycle it involves to fit it, although I've not put it through it's paces to really test it.

What aspect of the UI do you think needs looking at ? The colour control parameters were tweaked significantly, from 3.XX, and extended to even that of the new updates to Impact XT and Sample One XT.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:
billcarroll wrote:To put this all in perspective, this would be like Apple users complaining that Studio One 4 doesn't run well on Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard, which was released in August 2009, a month after Windows 7 was released.
Windows is a bit different than MacOS though. Software developers don't abandon 2 year old OS versions. *takes cover*
Haha. I like the *takes cover* bit. 2009 tho. :neutral:

It's just that this thread has been dominated by the discussion that Presonus support an outdated operating system. An operating system so old even Microsoft warns you not to use it anymore.
Windows 7 "does not meet the requirements of modern technology, nor the high security requirements of IT departments", said Markus Nitschke, head of Windows at Microsoft Germany.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... it-secure/

If you want to cling to an old OS, that fine, but don't expect software developers to keep supporting an OS that Microsoft has already ended mainstream support for back in 2015.

I'm super happy with Studio One 4, and I'm excited to see where they take the chord track with ARA2 support and Melodyne.

AAF import was a big addition for me, and that alone was worth the upgrade. The upgrades to Sample One with Sample One XT were also very welcome.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”