[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

I watched this on my smart TV earlier last week whilst in bed (yup I do actually sleep), so had forgotten about it... but I thought it was really good, to get a bit of a refresher of what I may be using very soon myself... and indeed that has now become a reality. Because of initial Hi-DPI issues 5- 6 months ago, I really didn't get that deep into it, to remember all this stuff for this part of the program..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-1lX7LURC4
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Humm... the new Sample One XT doesn't seem to have the ability to monitor the live input through the devices effects, whilst in sampling mode before you actually sample anything. Pre monitoring through effects so to speak. I thought it did before, but I'm either missing something, or have come to the right conclusion... if I have, I think pre monitoring really needs added here.

Seems like it also applies to actual sampling too. There's no internal effects processing until the samples are actually sampled. Reminds me of the days of the mid 1980's with my Casio SK1 Sampling keyboard lol.

Didn't see this one, until right now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ_218fSq2s
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Studio One 4 design issues that need fixed...

With my head in the drum / pattern aspects of Studio One 4, there is something from version 3 that was introduced which makes a big difference from the Artist version and this is the Multi Instrument functionality. If you are dragging a bunch of wave files onto Impact XT (whilst holding shift), they will be spread across them. No channels will be created in the mixing console and you'll have to click on each pad and alter the values or in this case the volume of each on Impact XT itself. If are you selecting one of the presets from Impact XT, you'll find that you have a bunch of channels in the mixing console.

You can hide those channels entirely, you can reduce the width of all the mix channels created and you also have the option of bouncing down to wave file. But what you can do and more conveniently in the Professional version (which you can't in Artist), is actually create a folder for everything including the channels which were created. This gives yourself the ability to fold and unfold as you would with a typical folder track as well as open the door to other creative advantages of Multi Instruments. Placing Impact XT in a normal folder has no effect on the additional channels created for each of the pads. If you want the convenience of having full control of Impact XT within the software and want to keep your mix console tidy, using the Multi Instrument functionality is really good way to do it and because it's sample based, it's much much friendlier on the CPU.

You could for example create a whole network of Impact XT's in there which could be triggered, vie the new pattern system.

--
There's also another big reason for using Multi Instruments which I should have highlighted above, and that's relating to the presets from the drop down list of Impact XT. If you add Impact XT and select one of it's presets, you'll find that if you try and alter the volume of Impact XT from the main sequencer window vie the horizontal volume slider, you'll find that it's ineffective in adjusting Impact XT. But if you create a Multi Instrument, and use Impact XT in one, that horizontal slider will act as the volume control for all the channels. :)

Just discovered that weird midi note recording bug people have been talking about in 4.1.1 for myself. That one where notes are shown to be recorded and then jump to the end to create a long clip. Only noticed it when I went back to the start of the song to add some more strings whilst the last section had the loop markers set at the bridge. Up until that point, I was recording fine I found, so it looks like in the mean time that I'll need to always record from active loop makers and positioned properly as I have been doing, with the pre-count. Presonus normally release a maintenance update for Studio One just before Christmas, so I'll be expecting this bug to be rectified.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:49 pm How do you alter the mixer to have a track's inserts and sends in a separate column next to the fader instead of being bunched up at the top? Just seen a YouTube video of a guy with his mixer like that but I can't find it in the help files and none of the options work.
You can find them here, you can also open them by right clicking on the tracks in the arrangement and selecting 'Show in Console', whilst they are in a collapsed state, or simply double click on the channel you want to open when the mixing console is open. :)
The channels show the levels when collapsed, you need to open them to see what effects you have used, or you can alternately open the inspector panel that resides on the left side of the UI to see what effects you have used whilst the channels are collapsed. (You are limited to viewing only one at a time though as you can't have multiple inspector panels.

Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

any way to extend the mixer channels views to see the names of the plugins better?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:50 pm any way to extend the mixer channels views to see the names of the plugins better?
No, the channel sizes are fixed to two levels, you can't stretch them, and as for text clarity in a visual sense, you only have one option with the program and that's to use Hi-DPI mode, which does invoke other compromises relating to screen estate, for lower screen sizes. Studio One's font clarity and quality isn't great, it's quite ugly in fact. It's something that, I've raised with Presonus but they don't seem interested in addressing that or by providing the options for user font selection. It's one of the main reasons for myself designing skins for Studio One 3 and now version 4. To bring the aesthetic quality of Studio One to a better level, but there's only so much I can do to address that. If you want to see Studio One, better, you'll need to employ different methods such as lowering screen resolution to make text more legible, or use a larger monitor screen.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:15 pm
Caine123 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:50 pm any way to extend the mixer channels views to see the names of the plugins better?
No, the channel sizes are fixed to two levels, you can't stretch them, and as for text clarity in a visual sense, you only have one option with the program and that's to use Hi-DPI mode, which does invoke other compromises relating to screen estate, for lower screen sizes. Studio One's font clarity and quality isn't great, it's quite ugly in fact. It's something that, I've raised with Presonus but they don't seem interested in addressing that or by providing the options for user font selection. It's one of the main reasons for myself designing skins for Studio One 3 and now version 4. To bring the aesthetic quality of Studio One to a better level, but there's only so much I can do to address that. If you want to see Studio One, better, you'll need to employ different methods such as lowering screen resolution to make text more legible, or use a larger monitor screen.
thx a lot, this sucks, fl studio has this since ages....

DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Vortifex wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:16 pm Cheers Intrancer. Wish I could set it permanently, it's annoying having to double click on them all the time.
Well, you don't have to, if you pref not to, you could simply select the instrument from the sequencer arrangement which will bring up the Inserts / Sends settings including Event FX ( not available within the main mix console) within the Inspector Panel, and have an alternative workflow method. Obviously you still want to use the main mix console to have a better overview of relative volume levels of any track you make. The only downside is the additional screen estate the Inspector Panel takes up.

If you have an IPad, you can do mixing in Studio One vie that method also. I don't have an IPad, but it's an option which may benefit you in regard to interaction and being able to see Studio One's GUI better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66gCHa7q6Y4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu_HwlMjRnQ

And for Android you have Touch Daw.. :-)

http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/

https://youtu.be/Ze1kk5o5vKk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWjzCe4Asrc

TouchDAW is a full-featured DAW control and general purpose MIDI control app for Android™ tablets and phones. It allows you to remote control popular digital audio workstation software as known from standard hardware control surfaces.

Version 1.8.2 [Release Notes] has dedicated support for Cubase / Nuendo, Live, Logic, Pro Tools, Sonar, FL Studio, Reason, REAPER, Studio One, Samplitude, SAWStudio, Digital Performer, Acid Pro / Vegas, Tracktion and Bitwig workstations. Standard functionality in other DAWs with basic MCU support will be accessible alike.

TouchDAW is built upon nmj. If you are looking for standards compliant ways to do network MIDI on Android, hop over and download the library.

Besides control surface emulation, the app brings a number of general purpose MIDI controllers, such as a multitouch keyboard, multitouch launchpads, a MIDI mixer, configureable xy-controller pads and the possibility to link a phone's sensors to MIDI controllers.

TouchDAW works with RTP or multicast MIDI over WIFI. Later versions added support for USB, wired LAN and - given the hardware supports USB host mode - class-compliant MIDI interfaces. It is directly compatible with Apple's Network MIDI implementation in Mac OS X, native RTP MIDI implementations for Windows and ipMIDI. For most connection methods there is no computer side server or protocol conversion software required.

The app is available on Google Play and the Amazon appstore in a full featured paid and a limited free version. Please use the free version to test the waters before making that substantial 4 Euro investment.

APKs contain both tablet and phone layouts. As it is pretty much impossible to cram all the functionality of the emulated hardware into a proper phone UI, most recent phones will let you optionally use the tablet layout.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Or just use Presonus' official Remote app for Studio One on Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e&hl=en_GB

xylyx wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:04 pm Or just use Presonus' official Remote app for Studio One on Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e&hl=en_GB
But has it been fixed to work with Studio One 4 ?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”