Melodyne Question/help

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi:
There is currently a sale on Melodyne 4.

I currently own Melodyne Essentials and plan to upgrade but I am having trouble deciding on the upgrade path.

Should I upgrade to Melodyne Editor or Studio?

The answer is upgrade to editor. Studio is a waste of money. I'm kicking myself I "upgraded" to that crap and I would love to get my $200 back but it's gone. :cry:
Editor is all you need for vocals like formant and poly algorithm, pitch drift, vibrato, basically all the things essentials lacks. I produce music all the time and manipulate vocals a lot, I also mix vocal takes and use melodyne but NEVER and I mean never have I put any of the Studio's additional features to use. Allow me to break it down..

Quantize to reference track....useless.
Multi track editing....useless. you work in your daw, you dont need this, it's too fidgety and impractical
Changing timbre (partials)....now this is the biggest disappointment out of everything (mostly because it's the reason people upgrade..myself included). It makes what ever you put through it sound like shit basically. You cant get anything decent out of it, only harsh, thin, weak sounds. It turns a piano into a casio being played inside a tin can, it makes a violin sound like a cat strangled in an ally. Even if you could modulate it (which you cant) it would still have the harsh resonant tones that make it sound like garbage.

Also I upgraded from melodyne 2 editor to 4 and there was no noticeable difference in any of the algorithms. Nor were any of the new features like tempo and key of any use. The sustain and the decay polyphonic algorithms are COMPLETELY the same as well. Ive tested them. So that was a mistake too. In fact melodyne2 was better because you didn't have to change the bloody default setting back to ms every time you use it which is a pain in the ass. :x

Thanks for the reply.

Just letting you know 60% off upgrades at JRR shop.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”