Cubase 10?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

With Cubase 10 releasing later this year, are we expecting any major upgrades?

I'd like to see:

1. Improved plugin mapping for generic control surfaces. 8 "Quick Controls" doesn't cut it. I should be able to map out my entire controller to any plugin, and have the host retain those settings like Studio One allows for (as an example).

2. ARA2. I get it - Vocaloid, but they don't want to be the only major DAW that doesn't support ARA2.

3. Fix the window/title bar behavior in Windows. Why does it hang out with the desktop in the background after I think I've closed Cubase?

4. Drag and drop plugin browser. Would make adding instruments/inserts much easier if it worked more like Studio One/Reaper/Sonar/etc.

If they just built #1 I'd be happy. #1 and #2 would make Cubase damn near perfect from a feature perspective for my needs. Everything after that would be just about making minor improvements to the workflow for fewer clicks, pop-up menus, etc.

Say Goodbye to physical elicenser!

marmess wrote:Say Goodbye to physical elicenser!
That'd be nice. Would like to be able to run it on my laptop and desktop with a single license and no dongle swapping.

I believe it when i see it. :P

Last edited by topaz on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

topaz wrote:Fix the bloody bugs in 9x first.

Might only be the Mac version but whenever I delve into groove agent 4 or browsing etc in media bay, crash city :-(
That's what keeps me away from Cubase, they really have terrible bug fixing track record, can't trust Steinberg on that one, Logic 9 in that regard is solid on Snow Leopard, would take stability over any new bells&whistles any day, DAW&OS wise.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
topaz wrote:Fix the bloody bugs in 9x first.

Might only be the Mac version but whenever I delve into groove agent 4 or browsing etc in media bay, crash city :-(
That's what keeps me away from Cubase, they really have terrible bug fixing track record, can't trust Steinberg on that one, Logic 9 in that regard is solid on Snow Leopard, would take stability over any new bells&whistles any day, DAW&OS wise.
In the interests of balance, I can't remember the last time Cubase crashed (currently Pro 9.5.30, Win 10 Pro (1083 17134.191)).

As for 10, maybe beef up the video functions/options/features.
A better limiter.
Bezier curves in the CC pane of the piano roll.
Change the Time readouts in Revelation from percentages to, um, time!

This here daw is in desperate need of Drag and Drop Capabilities similar to Studio One for petes sake!

ls1xxx wrote:This here daw is in desperate need of Drag and Drop Capabilities similar to Studio One for petes sake!
I’ve purchased the last 4 Elements versions for no other reason than to stay current. Never used it to finish a song though, mainly because adding plugins is a pain is the a#s.

Googly Smythe wrote:....
Bezier curves in the CC pane of the piano roll....
They are in 9.5:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=141065

felis wrote:
They are in 9.5:

Ah ha! Must check this out tomorrow!

felis wrote:
They are in 9.5:

FADE + BEzIERS ON THE GODDAM ARRANGE PAGE NOT A POP UP

FIX THE OFFLINE PROCESSING WINDOW

- i used to be able to process and the window would close automatically and then i could move to another region rinse repeat all with key commands

- transpose key commands

- better colour pallete

- clip envs

- drag and drop effects to regions

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I'd like to see:

3. Fix the window/title bar behavior in Windows. Why does it hang out with the desktop in the background after I think I've closed Cubase?
I you think about just top menu bar then desktop - this is the cure:
a) start Cubase and then maximize window
b) do whatever you do, opening project etc
c) when done working close project as usuall on X or on menu.
d) Now the workspace is still there
e) when closing Cubase, next startup will show maximized window from start.

So unless you restore window normal size and close Cubase - you will never see top bar menu+desktop through again.

Main nuissance for me now in Cubase 9.5 is that opening a project as default keep current inactive, but open. I just never need that feature.

That default opening a project is closing current completely.

I hoped they with 64-bit audio engine in 9.5 also fixed SRC quality, not being worst in class among main daws. But no it seems:
http://src.infinitewave.ca/

I still do all those externally with any other software like r8brain or similar.

I tested myself with Cubase 9.0 and this was the result for THD and IMD:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Auw5dk599Qm6gRxatApeq0ZdWtls

Old Sonar 8.5 and r8brain and reference RMAA test - with Cubase.
So guess this is still the same. Even Steinberg WaveLab do better inline with rest of competition - artifacts below -140 dB or so.

So that Cubase did not fix anything in 12 years on this - really bad. Reaper has improved with every major version since then.

For me it just tells a story about Cubase not being all professional tool. You should just rely on Cubase at import or export do best possible SRC algo.

Why? 9.5 is superb.

I know Steinberg are a business, I get that but it’s too early for 10.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”