Cubase 10?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Grumbleweed wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:02 pm
thebutler wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:45 pm
Grumbleweed wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:32 pm
Orbit-50 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:54 pm Thank you for the info. My libraries were in place already after the last fiasco, so I didn't have to worry about it on this round. I was thinking the installer was the same as before. I'll remember this for the next full install which I will avoid like the plague.
And that's why I wrote my post in this thread!
To reiterate, I want to be able to move the 15 GB (it's even bigger than I thought!) Steinberg folder from C drive ProgramData to my E drive using the mlink utility without it messing up like it did the first time (i.e. no impulse WAVs in Reverence).

Grum.
Use the new Steinberg Library Manager - its in the Additional Content folder, wherever your Cubase 10 program is located. Have a read of the User Guide in there. Hope it helps.!
I've said I used the Steinberg Library Manager for the content it can move. It's the other stuff that isn't controlled by the Library Manager that I'm interested in.....well I was interested in but I'm pig sick of it all now.

Grum.
This is right.

The Steinberg License Manager can move the Halion and Groove Agent content only. Now, this content combines for several GB's worth of data, so it's nice to have this option. That said, there's still another 12GB (or so) of loops and other content located in C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content (on Windows) that doesn't get touched by the Library Manager. If you want to move this stuff without breaking anything in Cubase, you need to use Sym Links.

Here are the Windows 10 instructions on how to create Sym Links that I posted over in the Cubase forums. https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 3&t=147665

Look into Symbolic Links (Sym Links) in Windows. It totally solved this for me. The process was this:

1. Exit Cubase

2. In Windows, create a new VST Sound folder on a different drive. This is going to be the drive and folder location where you'll want to actually store the content. In my case, I created a "Cubase Content" folder on another drive so it was: D:\Cubase Content\VST Sound

3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound - cut or copy all the loop data in the folder and subfolders

4. Paste the data into (modify to fit whatever location you want to use) D:\Cubase Content\VST Sound - now you've got a copy of your VST Sound folder on the drive you want all this stuff on

5. Go back and delete the original VST Sound sub-folder: C:\Program Data\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound (this step is important and tripped me up last night - the OS needs to create the linked "VST Sound" folder)

6. Open a Command Prompt in Windows - Run as Admin or you'll get an insufficient privileges error

7. In the Command Prompt type in the following (obviously, you'll replace D:\Cubase Content\VST Sound folder with whatever one you created):

mklink /D "C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound" "D:\Cubase Content\VST Sound"

8. Press enter to execute - you should get a message that a Symbolic Link was created between the two folders.

If you get an error, it's likely that you either didn't delete the original VST Sound sub-folder, have a typo in the directory names somewhere, left out the quotes in the mklink syntax, or didn't run the command prompt as admin. I made all these mistakes last night so you don't have to!

9. Relaunch Cubase (should be no different than any other launch)

Result: 12GB of space on C: drive freed up. My Cubase content now physically resides on my D:\ drive, but Cubase still thinks it's installed in C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound.

I have already done the above and when I did Reverence didn't find the impulse WAVs and I couldn't mend it.
I know people are trying to help but if you read my posts you'd know the problem and not post "solutions" that I've already done, and do not address why using the above file moving killed Reverence.

Grum.

Grumbleweed wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:02 pm
thebutler wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:45 pm
Grumbleweed wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:32 pm
Orbit-50 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:54 pm Thank you for the info. My libraries were in place already after the last fiasco, so I didn't have to worry about it on this round. I was thinking the installer was the same as before. I'll remember this for the next full install which I will avoid like the plague.
And that's why I wrote my post in this thread!
To reiterate, I want to be able to move the 15 GB (it's even bigger than I thought!) Steinberg folder from C drive ProgramData to my E drive using the mlink utility without it messing up like it did the first time (i.e. no impulse WAVs in Reverence).

Grum.
Use the new Steinberg Library Manager - its in the Additional Content folder, wherever your Cubase 10 program is located. Have a read of the User Guide in there. Hope it helps.!
I've said I used the Steinberg Library Manager for the content it can move. It's the other stuff that isn't controlled by the Library Manager that I'm interested in.....well I was interested in but I'm pig sick of it all now.

Grum.
Hey I apologize Grum for giving you misinformation on this. I went through this whole crap about a year ago, and the info I gave you was how I got it sorted. Yeah, it's like you just said how sick you are of it, it gets tiring doing fresh Cubase installs if you want every bit of the 7,000,000 GB of Steinberg content files off your (C:) drive. It's not even like you can just say, screw it, and not install the content. It would be great if they gave you that option to just run Cubase without the content.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

I've been just not installing the content for some time, though. I'm installing about 3GB these days. I don't know if 10 is somehow suddenly different but I won't use up the space for that.

Just uncheck the boxes, in the installer, for the stuff you don't want.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or some strange feature.

When I first create a new project, I can't edit the tempo at all in the transport like I could in previous versions. I have to insert a tempo track, edit that, and then I can mess with the tempo, freely, in the transport. Doesn't matter if I have tempo track enabled or not.

xphen0m wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:13 am I'm not sure if this is a bug or some strange feature.

When I first create a new project, I can't edit the tempo at all in the transport like I could in previous versions. I have to insert a tempo track, edit that, and then I can mess with the tempo, freely, in the transport. Doesn't matter if I have tempo track enabled or not.
Are you simply trying to update the tempo to a fixed rate? Or are you trying to alter the tempo over time to different rates?

If the former you should be able to click in the transport on the tempo itself click (hold left mouse button) and drag it to the tempo you want. Mine works that way at least.. no need to insert a tempo track or anything on a fresh project.
Last edited by VitaminD on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

It looks like they did take the volume slider out of the Open menu when importing new samples. I used that slider a lot.. now it is gone. Steinberg if you're reading, please bring back the volume slider from this menu! Why take away something that wasn't bothering anyone in the first place?

jancivil wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:26 am I've been just not installing the content for some time, though. I'm installing about 3GB these days. I don't know if 10 is somehow suddenly different but I won't use up the space for that.

Are you serious? For some reason, I tried to pull that during 8.5 going on my new laptop a couple of years ago and damn, I wish I could remember in detail what exactly happened, but I do remember that every time I fired Cubase up, it kept giving me these nag prompts that kept screaming at me about the fact that I didn't have the content installed. It annoyed me to the point of installing the content just so I wouldn't have to deal with anymore, or have to spend any more of my time unraveling Steinberg's logic as to why I have to have the content installed, which to be dead honest, I literally never ever have used.

If I were feeling lucky, I would try to uninstall everything, and then reinstall it, but this time without the content as you said you were able to do. Then finally I can be happy about not having to install gigs upon gigs of content that I will never use, or ever having to walk on eggshells trying to manage it ever again.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

VitaminD wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:21 am
xphen0m wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:13 am I'm not sure if this is a bug or some strange feature.

Are you simply trying to update the tempo to a fixed rate? Or are you trying to alter the tempo over time to different rates?

If the former you should be able to click in the transport on the tempo itself click (hold left mouse button) and drag it to the tempo you want. Mine works that way at least.. no need to insert a tempo track or anything on a fresh project.
That's exactly what I'm trying to do right out the box with a new project. That's how I've always done it in previous versions. This is literally I have to do it in 10.

alonl6 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:39 pm
LeVzi wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:32 am OK so now the dust has settled, was the upgrade worth it ? From what I see on social media, the general concencus is no, there isn't a whole lot different from 9.5 and it actually introduces more bugs.
In my opinion, if you have the pro version, than yes, it's worth it.
Artist and Elements don't have any major improvements other than new gui and graphics.
I am a graphic whore so I've upgraded, but I feel that it was not worth it at the end of the day.
But why is it worth it ? I mean what is the difference ?
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Orbit-50 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:52 am
jancivil wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:26 am I've been just not installing the content for some time, though. I'm installing about 3GB these days. I don't know if 10 is somehow suddenly different but I won't use up the space for that.

Are you serious? For some reason, I tried to pull that during 8.5 going on my new laptop a couple of years ago and damn, I wish I could remember in detail what exactly happened, but I do remember that every time I fired Cubase up, it kept giving me these nag prompts that kept screaming at me about the fact that I didn't have the content installed. It annoyed me to the point of installing the content just so I wouldn't have to deal with anymore, or have to spend any more of my time unraveling Steinberg's logic as to why I have to have the content installed, which to be dead honest, I literally never ever have used.
That happened once with 8.5 and the Reverence content. It was super annoying, particularly as it doesn't seem to make the least bit of sense. I don't remember how that happened but my notion of if was I had unchecked other boxes, not that one.

But I started un-checking that box too somewhere along the line. :shrug:
I'd like not to download all that, I have never used any of it. I used Frequency frequently but now for regions in audio editor that has had no spectrum showing for awhile. I use Magneto 2. But content, no, and I don't care for Reverence to begin w.

If I can muster up enough balls to tinker with it, I'll give it a shot and try to do a full reinstall without the 22 metric tons of content that I'd prefer to not sit dormant on my (D:) drive. I do understand the fact that some of it is still necessary for certain Cubase integrated plugins to function, but if I can trim it down to the bare minimum, then great, yay.

Actually I'm using Nuendo now, which for the same more-or-less equivalent version did exactly what Cubase 8.5 did. I don't recall when it quit doing it; but I updated to Nuendo 8.3, which came out at the same time as a Cubase 9.5.x, which has the very same dialog as an initial install and I deselected shit to the degree my install was ~3GB. Seems like I kept some Padshop and basic HaLion, if that. And Groove Agent with no add-ons. Which I won't use either. :scared:

This needs to change, though. What was it, a 12.5GB download. But I know I didn't add Reverence content, it's far too much to even consider at this point. So updating didn't take up more space than was taken up before it anyway. I think I'm being consistent now, the easier way to remember what I did before is do nothing more than basic HaLion and basic Padshop.

When I demo C10 (I don't like .0 versions, I have no intent of dealing with that as an experiment) I think I'm going to just install the program. I'm not looking at it, I'm in the bedroom at the moment. I was interested in the Sampler but I don't really like it. My recall is a bit fuzzy as per usual.

I think if you go with the full version of Cubase, you're basically forced to install the content. Prior installers asked where you want to put it, and people have said, "oh, if you pay attention the installer asks" but that doesn't appear to actually be the case in 10. This is an area where Steinberg really seems to have dropped the ball in the v10 release. They dramatically increased the content size without allowing users to bypass it, or place it elsewhere, aside from the Halion and Groove Agent SE content.

The Sym Links thing worked great for me, but how many people are realistically going to do that and why should they have to?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”