Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cakewalk by BandLab Cubase Pro 13

i am Cubase LE user over 5 years - start with LE5,now use LE 9.5 - i like it,i know it,do perfectly what i need it to do,it's stable,reliable so on BUT...
Right now i seriously hesitate do i really need,not want,i know i want it but...
is it worth to spend money for upgrade and to wait for adding some options Bandlab already have
instead of investing time in exploring what Bandlab Cakewalk is capable of,
also there is so many musicians using it you can connect there,
seriously hesitate about my future Cubase club card.
Till the end of this month i will become or Bandlab user or Cubase Artist one during the August 40% OFF.
Please share opinion.

Only you can decide based on personal preference, personally didn't grow fond of Cakewalk and heard some experiences that discouraged me from even trying anymore, sure, free is amazing offer and whole DAW seems packed nicely, really wanted to like it, on other hand on the merge to pull the plug on Cubase Artist after using Logic for quite some time, have the demo of 9.5 and it finally feels like step up, can't find almost anything to favor Logic, Cubase really now feels like ultimate all round solution and I spent last year or so demoing everything I can.

Another DAW that I really dig is Bitwig, but it's so young and I really can't trust developers to bring it where I want it, right now it consumes 50% more resources (both CPU&RAM) than Cubase on same project and behaves like mess when is close overloading, ridiculous, Cubase is solid, saw some test, on lower buffers even outperforms famous Reaper, which I dislike.

Ultimately you must decide what is most important for you, no matter what concrete arguments I can bring in favor of Cubase or any other DAW, we have different needs, preferences and workflows.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

If you already know and like Cubase LE then I'd say just upgrade to the latest Cubase Elements for cheap. Why pay for Artist unless you need the features? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Cakewalk is very nice as well. I personally like the workflow of Cakewalk and hate the workflow of Cubase. I'd recommend trying it since it's free.

Features on paper means nothing, how well they are implemented and how one responds to whole DAW workflow is the key thing here, so yeah, give it a go, you don't need much to find out if something suits you or not.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Every DAW does more or less the same thing. Unless there is a very specific feature which Cubase is missing and Cakewalk provides, I would just continue to use what you already know.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

As a longtime user of both Cubase and Sonar........stick with Cubase. Especially if you like it and it does what you want it to do. Why try to fix or alter a way of working that doesn't appear to be broken?

I was not a huge fan of Sonar. I felt it was miles behind other DAWs, ESPECIALLY when it came to it's midi implementation. Sonar's midi tools were extremely archaic and often didn't work correctly in my personal experience. (e.i. CAL scripts. OMG man....) I know folks swore by Sonar....but Cakewalk didn't do well for a reason..... I'm not sure if fixing some of Sonar's shortcomings are on Bandlab's radar, but time will tell. They need to redesign, rebuild and recode the whole thing.

Upgrading Cubase means getting an elicenser as well and in general, Cubase is on the more expensive side relative to other DAWs.

That's not necessarily a reason to avoid Cubase, but it should be a consideration. As others said, there are other DAWs out there as well outside of Cakewalk.

Isn't Bandlab Sonar free now?

Download it and see how it works for you. I'm sure by the time the next Cubase sale hits, you'll have made your decision.

The upgrade to Cubase Elements is really cheap and you won't need an USB elicenser.

But yeah, Cakewalk is free now so you could give it a try, maybe you'll like it more than Cubase, maybe not.

Steinberg Cubase Pro 9.5 Recording Software (Retail Box Version) £537.06 + £3.21 UK Delivery (Amazon)

CakeWalk Bandlab ......................................................... FREE (Download)

Thats a clear win for Cubase then :hihi:

Thanks for your opinion and time guys,i will definitely work extensively with both this month to compare all aspects - workflow,sound,tools so on ...it's amazing that fully functional advanced DAW is free.
I am guitarist and think that Bandlab cakewalk is very friendly for players,don't know now have to work more with it to say more,it's like when you have to decide to break up with you old girlfriend you've been over 5 years and used to be with her but then you meet new exciting girl and hesitate what to do hihihi same feelings now :)
Probably have to check how new girl will satisfy my needs hahahahha.
Cheerz :)

dellboy wrote:Steinberg Cubase Pro 9.5 Recording Software (Retail Box Version) £537.06 + £3.21 UK Delivery (Amazon)

CakeWalk Bandlab ......................................................... FREE (Download)

Yeah, less money you spend on your gear, bigger artist you are. :hihi: Not to mention that pain of using DAW you don't like, true pain like an true artist. :hihi:
Last edited by Zexila on Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dellboy wrote:Steinberg Cubase Pro 9.5 Recording Software (Retail Box Version) £537.06 + £3.21 UK Delivery (Amazon)

I don't think he really NEEDS Pro though. Artist will surely be sufficient. It surely was for me. AND, he already owns Cubase LE, so he can benefit from a cheaper upgrade price.

Frankly, if you like Cubase, stick with it. Nothing worse than learning a new DAW, and having to learn that it does things a way you might not like as much.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:.... LE 9.5 - i like it,i know it,do perfectly what i need it to do,it's stable,reliable so on .....

You've got several options that people have mentioned.
But since you've been using Cubase for 5 years and are happy with it, I think you should stick with it.

I checked the up grade price, and it's $119.99 to go from Elements to Artist, and that includes a dongle.
You'd have to decide if the extra features are worth it to you.
You've probably looked at the comparison chart: https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/c ... rison.html

You don't have to upgrade of course.
Elements is a fine program and since you like it,
you might also want to just keep using it until an Elements version 10 comes out.
But the 40% off upgrade price is a good deal and kind of hard to pass up.

I bought Cakewalk a lot of years ago and didn't care for it compared to Cubase.
For me, it was a waste of money. But for you, it might only be a waste of time :hihi:

Or....you might end up liking it. I guess it won't cost you anything to try it.

This somehow reminds me off my excitement, when i rode with a bike to the local newspaper shop, to buy the Beat magazine including Cubase LE5. :D Not sure which DAW i used at that point, but, i never really got warm with the stuff i used to before, and, Cubase LE made so much more sense in the way it operated. Still kept Cubase Artist 9, and, from time to time, i think about switching back from Studio One. There something about its GUI which is so pleasant, even though i dislike other stuff again, like, working with windows, or the MIDI learn system. Well, nothing is perfect, i guess.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”