Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
Zexila
KVRAF
3194 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:58 am

chk071 wrote:There something about its GUI which is so pleasant
Yeah, it looks wonderful, so clear, also the piano roll editor got amazing overview, you can zoom out a lot and still perfectly see where you are and all those 1/16th notes and etc, than editing in lane's below is best I seen so far. Editing automation in 9.5 is breeze with good overview on timeline, you don't need to zoom in that much at all, mixer is nice too, all in all, it looks perfectly usable and good, without exaggeration this is the prettiest and most functional DAW GUI wise for me. Bitwig too, they did amazing job also.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

starise
KVRist
42 posts since 31 Aug, 2007

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:48 pm

I'm not too sure why you would want to change if you liked your workflow before in Cubase. If workflow alone is most important I would see no reason to change since you already learned Cubase and 9.5 should be similar. This is coming from a long time Cakewalk user.

Some don't mind a little extra effort to learn a new program and you might actually like Cakewalk. No matter what though Cubase will be easier probably until you get past the learning curve. The piano roll in Cakewalk is very well endowed, you just need to know how to use it.

Many times when someone says they tried brand B and it didn't work for them they didn't commit 100% to learning it. I don't think Cakewalk is difficult to grasp. I mean you have an extensive online manual. If you hover over the things you don't understand you can select to view a description and function of it right in the GUI. So if you hover over the plugin delay compensation it will tell you what it is. In addition there is a nice helpful forum. Something I hear that Cubase doesn't have.

You need to decide what you want to do though and commit to it or do as I do and have multiple daws. I mainly use Cakewalk for tracking but like what a few of the others can do. For me, Cubase would fill the shoes that Cakewalk fills so I have no interest in it.

Cubase is a fine program with really deep features just like Cakewalk.
Last edited by starise on Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dellboy
KVRian
796 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:50 pm

Zexila wrote:
dellboy wrote:Steinberg Cubase Pro 9.5 Recording Software (Retail Box Version) £537.06 + £3.21 UK Delivery (Amazon)

CakeWalk Bandlab ......................................................... FREE (Download)

Thats a clear win for Cubase then :hihi:
Yeah, less money you spend on your gear, bigger artist you are. :hihi: Not to mention that pain of using DAW you don't like, true pain like an true artist. :hihi:
You have elucidated my point precisely.

I correctly predicted that the winner is Cubase because it costs lots of money.

People do not like free.

But if you seriously believe that spending lots of money is the key to success,then keep on spending.

chk071
KVRAF
18863 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:04 pm

dellboy wrote: But if you seriously believe that spending lots of money is the key to success,then keep on spending.
True. In theory. In practice, i believe that musicians pay good money for their gear, because they have a certain demand. And, because they get inspired by the gear they buy. E.g., it appears to me that literally every hardware synth freak doing Youtube videos seems to have a Arturia Keystep now. Not a very expensive keyboard, but, it seems to fit their needs perfectly, and seems like an inspiring piece of gear. They didn't have it before, and they probably made good music without it, and still got one at some point.

From my experience and point of view, i'd surely say that payware is, in general, of higher quality than freeware. Not because of the price, but, because it was made by professionals, with certain demands in mind (a bad 150 € plugin will be trashed anyway, while, with freeware, people rather tend to say "Well, it's for free, so i can't complain"). At least, that's my experience, that a good 150 € plugin will by far surpass a free plugin. Either those are pretty limited, made as a teaser for payware products, or made by people who know that their freeware can't comete with good payware.

And, last but not least, i'd also say that you spend much more time and effort using something you actually paid for. Not a primary point in the argument, but, it can also be a motivation sometimes.

Zexila
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:04 pm

dellboy wrote:People do not like free.
Maybe in your bubble.
But if you seriously believe that spending lots of money is the key to success,then keep on spending.
I don't, but if you seriously believe that cost of a DAW tells something more about DAW than how much one needs to spend on it, than do whatever you do in your bubble, Sonar/Cakewalk isn't my thing for 500 bucks/free, nor is Live, MuLab, Pro Tools, FL, Mixcraft, Podium, LMMS, Samplitude and whatever DAW you can come up with, only DAW's I feel comfortable using are Logic 8/9, Cubase 9.5 and Bitwig 1/2, so they win every time even against their own different versions.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

dellboy
KVRian

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:59 pm

chk071 wrote:
From my experience and point of view, i'd surely say that payware is, in general, of higher quality than freeware.
Sonar is probably the oldest sequencer\daw on windows and developed over 30 years by professionals.

Which bit am I not getting ?

dellboy
KVRian

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:03 pm

Zexila wrote: only DAW's I feel comfortable using are Logic 8/9, Cubase 9.5 and Bitwig 1/2, so they win every time even against their own different versions.
Good for you.

Perhaps you left out Pro-Tools ?

Every song of any significance has been made using it for many years.

Zexila
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:13 pm

dellboy wrote:
Zexila wrote: only DAW's I feel comfortable using are Logic 8/9, Cubase 9.5 and Bitwig 1/2, so they win every time even against their own different versions.
Good for you.

Perhaps you left out Pro-Tools ?

Every song of any significance has been made using it for many years.
I didn't left it out, you did when you forgot to quote it, here:
...Sonar/Cakewalk isn't my thing for 500 bucks/free, nor is Live, MuLab, Pro Tools, FL, Mixcraft, Podium, LMMS, Samplitude and whatever DAW you can come up with....
I don't care who made what where and which DAW is significant for whom and what, who invented what and other funk, I'm not happy when DAW I like is expensive, but that's the price to pay for having personal preference and taste.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:18 pm

dellboy wrote:
chk071 wrote:
From my experience and point of view, i'd surely say that payware is, in general, of higher quality than freeware.
Sonar is probably the oldest sequencer\daw on windows and developed over 30 years by professionals.

I don't think you're not getting anything. :) Does making it free fund further professional development though? And has Sonar always been a model in stability and bugless-ness in the past?

Anyway, don't want to take influence on the OP's decision. You should ask yourself, though, if a free software can be as good and well maintained as one of the industry standard payware, and, if it is generally a good idea to change saddle, when you're already fluently with a smaller version of the software. Also, quo vadis Cakewalk? I haven't heard anything in that regard since it was made free. What about their software synthesizers? What about their future business plan? Big fat question mark, in my opinion.

dellboy
KVRian

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:36 pm

chk071 wrote:
dellboy wrote:
chk071 wrote:

I don't think you're not getting anything. :) Does making it free fund further professional development though? And has Sonar always been a model in stability and bugless-ness in the past?

Anyway, don't want to take influence on the OP's decision. You should ask yourself, though, if a free software can be as good and well maintained as one of the industry standard payware, and, if it is generally a good idea to change saddle, when you're already fluently with a smaller version of the software. Also, quo vadis Cakewalk? I haven't heard anything in that regard since it was made free. What about their software synthesizers? What about their future business plan? Big fat question mark, in my opinion.
I Have to agree, Sonar is buggy in some ways.

The main problem I have found is with USB inputs not being recognized. The midi keyboard works, then go away for a few days and it stops working. But this is honestly the only bug that I have encountered.

A big turnoff is that the official main forum never acknowledges that Sonar has a problem. Its almost always put down to user input. And then all sorts of workarounds are suggested which really should not exist in a modern daw. Having said that, I have had a bundle of fun with it over the last few months. Its a "fun" daw in ways that other serious daws are not.

dellboy
KVRian

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:41 pm

Zexila wrote:
I don't care who made what where and which DAW is significant for whom and what, who invented what and other funk, I'm not happy when DAW I like is expensive, but that's the price to pay for having personal preference and taste.
This is a generalization that could be said about many areas of life.

For instance: I like such and such car, but its expensive, but thats the price I have to pay to own such and such car.

All cars will get you from A to B, its just that some cars do it with more comfort and style.

felis
KVRist
427 posts since 25 Jul, 2009

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:01 pm

starise wrote:....
Many times when someone says they tried brand B and it didn't work for them they didn't commit 100% to learning it....

It was a long time ago when I bought Cakewalk. I asked lots of questions about it.
I specifically asked if it could record midi release velocity.
That feature was, and is, really important to me. All the sounds I program use it.

So I was pissed off, and really disappointed when I found out the sales guy lied,
or didn't know the answer and bullshitted me.
I couldn't return it because it was opened software.
I'm pretty sure there weren't demos way back then. I know Cubase didn't have one.

I think I gave Logic a fair try too. I liked it, but not as much as Cubase.
Then Apple bought it and the axe fell - no more Logic for pc.

There were several (many?) others I tried back then too.
But Cubase has always just felt pretty 'right' to me.

enroe
KVRian
927 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm

chk071 wrote:
dellboy wrote: From my experience and point of view, i'd surely say that payware is, in general, of higher quality than freeware. Not because of the price, but, because it was made by professionals, with certain demands in mind
You can also make use of these arguments praising freeware.

Developers have always certain demands in mind ... so that's
not a point.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

flugel45
KVRAF
2142 posts since 9 Jun, 2002 from East of Santa Monica

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:00 pm

dellboy wrote: A big turnoff is that the official main forum never acknowledges that Sonar has a problem. Its almost always put down to user input...
Give your example, please.

It serves no one on the forum to ignore or "fail to acknowledge" reproducible bugs. Of course, if the problem appears to be system-specific (not experienced by anyone else), then all they can do is offer workarounds. I've never seen the forum at large not acknowledge a known problem.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:04 pm

enroe wrote:
chk071 wrote:
dellboy wrote: From my experience and point of view, i'd surely say that payware is, in general, of higher quality than freeware. Not because of the price, but, because it was made by professionals, with certain demands in mind
You can also make use of these arguments praising freeware.
No. I can't. :shrug:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”