Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
VELLTONE MUSIC
KVRian
572 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Bulgaria

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:29 am

Well you make it almost political - it's subjective opinion,i didn't want to make statements on topic i am not qualified at all,just realize that if you don't feel need to continue with same DAW,probably is because your motivation is wrong,like mine was 'i am gonna buy Artist and my mixes will be better - no they will not gonna be automatically better,because i don't spend enough time to make them better,it doesn't depend of which DAW is used,but right now is more trill and excitement than professional requirement about DAW kind of what more there is inside for free ...
Give it more positive,it's Monday :):):)

stacev
KVRist
36 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:32 am

dellboy wrote:
stacev wrote: I doubt if it will be strong team dedicated to Cakewalk now, which will be able to deal with complicated issues and significantly improve it.
What is it that needs "significant improvement" ?

Its already very mature software and does just about everything that is needed to make a song.

As long as it keeps working on the latest windows software it will do everything I need. And since I downloaded and installed the latest update its been pretty stable. My main feature request would be to finish off the Matrix view so that it can record loops in the same way that Live does. Currently it just plays back loops.
I mean look&feel, for me it behaves and is organized in a bit oldfashioned way. I also find it a bit unstable. Such things are very difficult to change and improve, this requires significant effort and strong team behind. But it's matter of taste and luck, others may find it very convenient and rock stable.
Functionally it has everything required to make music. It had that ability 10 and 20 years ago also, but somehow during that time development got derailed, popularity was lost and program was almost killed.
I am afraid Bandlab expected higher impact by releasing it free, they may lose interest in it soon and invest their endless amount of money somewhere else.

Zexila
KVRAF
3194 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:58 am

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:Well you make it almost political - it's subjective opinion,i didn't want to make statements on topic i am not qualified at all
I just asked you to expand on your subjective opinion and statement, if you think you aren't qualified and don't want to expand on it, than why you even bother writing it on public forum, some folks run diaries or blogs, that's maybe good way to go about it. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

dellboy
KVRian
776 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:02 pm

stacev wrote:
I mean look&feel, for me it behaves and is organized in a bit oldfashioned way. I also find it a bit unstable. Such things are very difficult to change and improve, this requires significant effort and strong team behind. But it's matter of taste and luck, others may find it very convenient and rock stable.
Functionally it has everything required to make music. It had that ability 10 and 20 years ago also, but somehow during that time development got derailed, popularity was lost and program was almost killed.
I am afraid Bandlab expected higher impact by releasing it free, they may lose interest in it soon and invest their endless amount of money somewhere else.
The new web page is up and running,and the latest update seems stable,so why not give it a try ?.........

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

stacev
KVRist
36 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:49 pm

dellboy wrote:
The new web page is up and running,and the latest update seems stable,so why not give it a try ?.........

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
Thank you, its already installed and I try it from time to time, but, unfortunately, I am just a bit disappointed. Used it before and expected it will be easy to switch back again, but somehow switch doesn't go smoothly enough. I find it slightly behind competition and have doubts if it will catch up by being free.

rlared
KVRist
214 posts since 1 Aug, 2016

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:38 pm

I go back and forth but I decided to use it. I find you just gotta pick a DAW and stick with it because they are all gonna have things that piss you off lol. I just love the interface and I find it really easy to use and intuitive. Plus the included Prochannel plugins is nice. But believe me I am aware there are quirks and bugs... I just decided to accept them since they aren't show stoppers.

I mean, for free it's a no brainier... I'll never pay for a DAW again.
Win 10 x64, Studio One Pro V4, Komplete 11, Komplete Control MK2 49, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB

User avatar
VELLTONE MUSIC
KVRian
572 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Bulgaria

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 pm

Zexila wrote:
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:Well you make it almost political - it's subjective opinion,i didn't want to make statements on topic i am not qualified at all
I just asked you to expand on your subjective opinion and statement, if you think you aren't qualified and don't want to expand on it, than why you even bother writing it on public forum, some folks run diaries or blogs, that's maybe good way to go about it. :tu:
wow diary you say - in case you don't check who start the topic you are writing within i could recommend you ginkgo,it doesn't cure brain damages but probably will help you somehow,i am sick of negative people like you spreading constant negativity around with pretension to know something other don't,you didn't say a single thing as info or opinion and honestly cuz this is not first conversation i have with you i am not interested to listen or answer you anymore,you had chance,time and audience but it seems you've got nothing interesting to say so please leave my topic...until the conversation is civilized...

dellboy
KVRian
776 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 am

stacev wrote: Thank you, its already installed and I try it from time to time, but, unfortunately, I am just a bit disappointed. Used it before and expected it will be easy to switch back again, but somehow switch doesn't go smoothly enough. I find it slightly behind competition and have doubts if it will catch up by being free.
I think Sonars "catch up" days are probably behind it.

But if owning a DAW is about "catching up", who is the current undisputed leader ?

User avatar
VELLTONE MUSIC
KVRian
572 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Bulgaria

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:55 am

Considering that we receive pro virtual studio for free i think that the last update is real deal especially prochannel with this easy to be added eq,comp,console stuff,saturation knob and so on it's pure pleasure,that's it...pleasure to work with,don't care about programmer's stuff which is better or not ... just like the way they continue to work and improve things inside ex Sonar.Cheerz :)

Rumdrum
KVRer
17 posts since 9 Jan, 2013 from Oslo, Norway

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:45 am

13 years with different DAWs now. I useds Logic, Cubase, Reaper, Studio One, Cakewalk and ProTools. My opinion is that it does not matter much which one you choose. One might have a special feature that you fall in love with, but then again another one has yet another one to fall in love with and so on. Most of them offers a variety of features and have different levels/versions with features, priced accordingly.

You should think about the complexity you really need. Do I really need ALL those tracks? Will I really use the includes pluggs and instruments or will I actually be using far better 3. party, even though they will cost extra?

The debate for which DAW to choose has been going on for as long as I have been in the game. One lover against another. Endless debates. It is like debating if you like blonds, brunettes or redheads the most. I can say that I tend to use Cubase and Logic the most. Not because I think they are superior in any way, but to MY needs and to my ESTABLISHED workflow they fit the most. I guess if I would take up Bitwig (never used) and really learned that, I would love that too. One I do not think I'll ever fall in love with is Live. However, to a friend of mine that one is the love of his life. So people think differently. One is not better than the other as the acclaimed girlfriend of your friend might not be the one you would prefer.

I find it more intereseting to discuss plugins and instruments, and here my opinion is clear: The ones included in the DAWs are inferior to some supplied by 3. party developers. So if I were to give an advice it would be to buy the lowest level of a DAW as possible and rather put your money in some 3. party instruments and pluggs. Just be aware that some low levels of DAWs might not allow you to enter 3. party pluggs (like the lowest Studio One and ProTools).
Mac Pro 3,2Ghz - 10TB - 20GB, Cubase 8 + 7 + 5 + 4, Yamaha 01v96, Hammerfall RAYDAT.

cnt
KVRist
241 posts since 9 Mar, 2001

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:12 am

It's just down to personal taste and what features/workflow you want the most.
I started using Cubase in 2000ish. I have since then tested all DAWs except ProTools (or any other Mac-only DAWs).

Cubase has always been lacking in some minor areas (or major if you don't like the workflow) and at the same time leading in others. You can say many things about Cubase, but it is by far the most versatile DAW. Features are almost always 98% good, but often not 100% when first introduced (to keep users paying for updates I guess).
In Cubase you can choose to do things in so many different ways, which is ofcourse both good and bad.

I also tested Cakewalk since it became free from Bandlab. I just tried it for a short period but it was really easy and fast to get started, easier to understand than Cubase.
I was a betatester for StudioOne v1 and it impressed me alot, but I still went back to Cubase somehow...
I like Cubase 9.5.

Never paid any attention to the Melodyne/ARA-thingy since I don't do much voice work. But that was until I read that so many users want it in Cubase. After taking a recent look on Youtube I now really see that Cubase' VeriAudio is not good at all compared to what ARA can do. By far. Not only for voice processing.

Btw, is Melodyne/ARA fully supported in Cakewalk from Bandlab? Didn't check it out while it was installed on my DAW....
/ C'n'T
Hi People! I'm an addict. Music is my drug.

Zexila
KVRAF
3194 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:16 am

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:
Zexila wrote:
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:Well you make it almost political - it's subjective opinion,i didn't want to make statements on topic i am not qualified at all
I just asked you to expand on your subjective opinion and statement, if you think you aren't qualified and don't want to expand on it, than why you even bother writing it on public forum, some folks run diaries or blogs, that's maybe good way to go about it. :tu:
wow diary you say - in case you don't check who start the topic you are writing within i could recommend you ginkgo,it doesn't cure brain damages but probably will help you somehow,i am sick of negative people like you spreading constant negativity around with pretension to know something other don't,you didn't say a single thing as info or opinion and honestly cuz this is not first conversation i have with you i am not interested to listen or answer you anymore,you had chance,time and audience but it seems you've got nothing interesting to say so please leave my topic...until the conversation is civilized...
You made this place your private blog/diary, threads about fate and random taught of the day, than your mental breakdowns and drama about everything, life decisions, your beliefs and whatever, this is public forum, I didn't see you contributed anything of substance, just bunch of famous "what's best" threads and sound bank spam's, so you are last person to say anything, always some drama and nonsense whenever you post, which barely happens outside of your own drama threads and when it happens, you make sure you promote your sound banks in some way or another.

Believe me, have no desire to even read what you have to say anymore or be a part of any thread that you open, so yeah, have a good one. 8)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Jim Roseberry
KVRist
457 posts since 9 May, 2005

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:53 am

It is down to personal taste.
I've got most of the major DAW applications.
I could be relatively happy with any of them.

The devil is in the smaller details... the more esoteric features/functions.

My perfect DAW would have the following:
- Samplitude's Object based realtime editing/processing
- Cubase's MIDI functions and Notation
- Live's ability to setup/trigger complex Vi's and Samples live.
- Studio One's gap-less audio engine, drag/drop functions, and integrated Mastering/Burning features
- Reaper's CPU efficiency
- Sonar's "Skylight" UI
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

zzz00m
KVRAF
1553 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:59 am

cnt wrote:
Btw, is Melodyne/ARA fully supported in Cakewalk from Bandlab? Didn't check it out while it was installed on my DAW....
Yes, In fact the legacy Sonar Platinum bundle included a free license for Melodyne Essentials, which could be upgraded at the Celemony site to the full version (paid).

The ARA support is still in the core Cakewalk, so if you have a copy of Melodyne it is supported.
Windows 10; with instruments from Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

dellboy
KVRian
776 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Re: Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Post Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:47 am

Jim Roseberry wrote:It is down to personal taste.
I've got most of the major DAW applications.
I could be relatively happy with any of them.

The devil is in the smaller details... the more esoteric features/functions.

My perfect DAW would have the following:
- Samplitude's Object based realtime editing/processing
- Cubase's MIDI functions and Notation
- Live's ability to setup/trigger complex Vi's and Samples live.
- Studio One's gap-less audio engine, drag/drop functions, and integrated Mastering/Burning features
- Reaper's CPU efficiency
- Sonar's "Skylight" UI
Not so long ago it would have been compulsory to mention ProTools in a list like this one.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”