Bitwig 2.4 is out

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I may be remembering incorrectly but I think many older samplers required navigating to a 'Record' page and once a sample was recorded it still had to be loaded for playback.
Even a lot of modern sampling hardware works that way.
The only samplers I use which truly have 'on-the-fly' recording and playback are my Octatrack and some Eurorack samplers. I do use the heck out of those features. :D
The Octatrack in particular is a lot of fun in that regard because the record functions can be sequenced. So if I have a sequence playing back while I'm playing guitar or something, the OT can be programmed to record a loop and then start playing that loop when the next pattern is launched. It's crazy flexible.
I think it would be difficult to achieve that kind of thing without putting a dedicated sequencer into the Sampler but that kind of thing can be done with the clip launcher.

EnochLight wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:18 pm
I didn't realize that Halion and Reason were the only two that offers this sort of feature (that we know of). I guess what I'm asking for is pretty unique, then.

Anyway, I'm still interested in Bitwig - the new Sampler is pretty sweet, even if I can't sample on the fly.
Of course you can sample on the fly... just hit record...

Bitwig IS a sampler!

justin3am wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:36 pm
I think it would be difficult to achieve that kind of thing without putting a dedicated sequencer into the Sampler but that kind of thing can be done with the clip launcher.
Exactly... don't think of the individual plugin or device as the sampler... it is Bitwig itself that is the equivalent of what people think of as an old school sampler... Bitwig's Sampler device is one tool in the broader environment.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:37 pm
EnochLight wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:18 pm
I didn't realize that Halion and Reason were the only two that offers this sort of feature (that we know of). I guess what I'm asking for is pretty unique, then.

Anyway, I'm still interested in Bitwig - the new Sampler is pretty sweet, even if I can't sample on the fly.
Of course you can sample on the fly... just hit record...

Bitwig IS a sampler!
Right, I get that - but can I hit record and it's automatically playable in Sampler while my song is playing, or do I need to drag and drop the audio file into Sampler?

I don't own Bitwig, otherwise I'd try this myself. Does anyone know if Bitwig 8-Track is a free download?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:26 pm
fmr wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:50 pm Anyway, I never understood how would someone want to go through the pain of editing and looping a sample inside the sampler - I confess I gave up immediately after the first attempt. I always edited them using the computer.
I come from an era where editing audio on a computer wasn't commonplace (at an affordable price, anway). Late 80's/early 90's. So sampling through a mic or line-in on the fly was how most people did it. I don't know, it's just something that's fun to me. Anyway, these days I most certainly edit all of my samples in my DAW!
Oh, I come from that same era :wink:

I thought the mention to Korg DSM-1 and Casio FZ-10M had made it clear :hihi:

But I already had a Macintosh SE30 and Alchemy back then (this was when Apple was still building computers :hihi:). Alchemy was a fabulous tool.

Of course, that was for editing. Sampling was made with my Sony portable cassette recorder.
Fernando (FMR)

EnochLight wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:44 pm Right, I get that - but can I hit record and it's automatically playable in Sampler while my song is playing, or do I need to drag and drop the audio file into Sampler?

I don't own Bitwig, otherwise I'd try this myself. Does anyone know if Bitwig 8-Track is a free download?
Bitwig 8-Track is not a free download. It usually comes bundled with hardware, I think?

EnochLight wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:44 pmRight, I get that - but can I hit record and it's automatically playable in Sampler while my song is playing, or do I need to drag and drop the audio file into Sampler?

I assume you can by now demo 2.4...

If you want to record something while a song is playing, and play it back in time, you can use the clip launcher for that.

Sampler you would have to record either midi or audio and drag it into Sampler... which takes all of like a second... Unless you talking about live performance with realtime sampling it's a fast and fun workflow.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”