13%
Other?
6%

Total votes: 634

RELATED
PRODUCTS

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:45 pm
igorpasche wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:08 am I have 5 DAWS and use only 2 :(
I only have 2 and since I can't sell FL it's staying that way. Reason or bust baby :hyper:
I have 6 daws now lmfao, will start using Cubase soon as well :D

Can we all have this as a switch in our profile, which people can look up to see stats, so that no one ever has to create another "which DAW do you use" thread?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I use Green DAW. It comes with a fantastic sampled instrument of an old piano, played hot :tu:

I use a mixture of Garageband and Reaper, depending on which/how many plugins I want to use. Interested in Pro Tools but not so much in the subscription model :shrug:

It depends on which platform - I use totally different tools on iPad than I do on my MacBook

zenzio wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:06 pm Interested in Pro Tools but not so much in the subscription model :shrug:
Hayeah, that's interesting, because most people I know do just the
opposite. They switch from Protools to Reaper. Mysterious ... :o
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

BONES wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:11 am I'd never thought about Contact until I heard the demos for Output's Substance. After that it didn't matter what I needed, I just had to have what Substance does in my musical life. Since then I've discovered Contact is actually pretty good but, of course, in Cubase we have HALion which seems to be at least as good in most respects. Mind you, we probably use Zampler more than either because it's simple and does what we need (and is just like Orion's sampler).
Straight2Vinyl wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:49 pmBut every DAW does something particularly well and something else not so well.
Still, I can't imagine how doing those "not so well" things in a different host is going to be easier than doing it the "not so well" way in the same host you do everything else in.
I use Renoise still because by virtue of being a tracker it does things no regular DAW will ever be able to do and in an instant.
Like what? And even if it does it in an instant, you then have the hassle of putting it all together back in your main host so you end up robbing Peter to pay Paul. That's the situation I am still Lin at the moment. I am not yet comfortable enough in Cubase to open it and start noodling around so I still do that in Orion. But there comes a point where I have to decide whether to keep going in Orion or export it to MIDI and rebuild it in Cubase. The longer I put that off, the harder it gets to do and it's all horribly inefficient no matter when I do it.
Main things are micro edits for stuff like modulation, gates, cutting(you could basically program a turntable scratch that is pretty decent with crab scratches or other advanced methods if you were so inclined) individual event reversing, slowing. If you aren't really familiar with Renoise, a quick search of sample commands will show the difference as that's the main feature, at least for me. It is a bitch to do things in separate programs though of course. My usual use of Renoise now is for fast drum programming and sampling. I get better results with it than I do in Reaper and in a lot less time. I guess its' a benefit of sampling being the main use of the software and that being integrated in the sequencer/pattern editor itself.
They have made a vst version of Renoise called Redux, but you can't record anything in it live via MIDI which really sucks. A lot of guys get by fine without it, but I just never like recording the timing of individual hits with a step sequencer, unless it's something I couldn't do live for one reason or another.
I've actually started looking into Studio One, Live and Bitwig though. If I were going to switch to a new DAW Studio One would be the likely choice so far based on how much quicker I pick up on things. It's close enough to Reaper to not be a total re-learn and it also supports ARA for Melodyne which I want to use a lot more. I'll see how it plays out, but I certainly agree the disconnect of having to use 2 separate DAWs is a big inefficiency to add to projects. If I make a switch, i think the one thing I'd still use Renoise for is quick recording on the go on a used laptop I just picked up. I may start exporting the individual tracks as stems though to spend less back and forth time.

If you are talking about audio clips, that sounds like stuff you could do in Cubase with VariAudio or in pretty much any sampler. VariAudio is pretty amazing, it's the thing that got me interested in Cubase, although I think the MIDI editing is the thing I appreciate most now that I've got more into it. I'm still trying to find a good way to use the GUI, though. It's too rigid, I can't make it work quite the way I want.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The Arrange Window has some kind of way to trigger clips by a key command. There was a jazz guy with a thorough tutorial not long ago, he was shifting sections about at will. Extended song form.

I don't really work with forms like that, I improvise more than scheme. I through-compose, sometimes I do more conventional things. I would never repeat verbatim, that to me is musical death. It can be the same thing but you want some blood running through your veins and some instinct, impulse and what-not

BONES wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:21 am If you are talking about audio clips, that sounds like stuff you could do in Cubase with VariAudio or in pretty much any sampler. VariAudio is pretty amazing, it's the thing that got me interested in Cubase, although I think the MIDI editing is the thing I appreciate most now that I've got more into it. I'm still trying to find a good way to use the GUI, though. It's too rigid, I can't make it work quite the way I want.
Not sure how to explain it to someone who's never used a tracker. I have Kontakt and any of the sample command functions would take forever to do with kontakt at least for me. Try it for yourself otherwise. Or dont.

Renoise and studio one
Renoise being my main workhorse for over 15 years
There is no equivalent to what you can do with the sample commands in a tracker , like the previous person said , if you haven't tried it , you have no idea of the capabilities
And most of all , it's lightning fast .
I always giggle when I see people draw in rhytms with their mouse in a piano roll , set to 1/64 for trigger rolls etc ...
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I tried it, and i hated it.

You know, if it was such a favorable workflow, then i'd assume it was a bit more popular?

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:36 pm I use Green DAW. It comes with a fantastic sampled instrument of an old piano, played hot :tu:
I don't know what I'm doing, but I laughed a lot. :hihi:

Reaper, FL Studio or an iPad app, depending on what exactly it is that I’m doing.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:58 am I tried it, and i hated it.

You know, if it was such a favorable workflow, then i'd assume it was a bit more popular?
Trackers have been used by aphex , squarepusher , bogdan raczynski etc ..
Nobody gives a rat's ass about popularity
If it's doesn't flow your boat , good for you :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”