Live 9 vs. 10...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well you get 4 years of maintenance upgrades so the DAW keeps working over new OS updates. And some new features along the way.

All this is relative, Bitwig is charging 100 per year if you want to stay up to date, cuabse has .5 releases every year, protools around 18 months.

Live has become cheap to maintain in last version, and I hope it remains that way without havin to upgrade yearly.
dedication to flying

papawillow wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:43 am Live 10 I think was suited more to Suite users .. as the Suite upgrade offer was attractive back then ... but ! as a Standard 9 user I did not want 50 gigs of samples and instruments that I already had covered. Unfortunately since the Standard 9 users have been burnt by Ableton on the 10 Upgrade IMO. ( especially since I have upgraded since 1.5 so was expecting a bit of love ) .

Standard 9 users had the BEST DEAL Ableton offered in years, if not ever.

They could upgrade from Standard 9 to Suite 9 with Live 10 included, for about $249.

Lots of Suite users complained, as they were only a couple of salient new devices added to Suite (Wavetable and Echo, basically, as when people complain they conveniently forget what they can, but those 2 were hard to pretend not to notice), and they had to pay about the same $249 to update from Suite 9 to Suite 10.

[edit: BTW, I was a Suite 9 user, was pretty envious for a while.]

I'm upgrading to 10 when the sale begins, hopefully in just over a week.

My reason is simple, Max 4 Live. I don't need the packs or additional instruments. Clever Ableton.

Also, if I upgraded to Standard 10 from Suite 9 and regretted not going to Suite 10, I'd have to pay much more to upgrade again.

These are the pricing mechanisms they employ to make sure we give them maximum returns. It works!

10 is 1 greater than 9
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

i definitely prefer 10 over 9, but it wasn't a game changer. Mainly small workflow and visual improvements and some nice additions to existing tools, like Bass Mono on Utility. i do find Drum Buss invaluable, though. i go pretty easy with it, but i always use it on my main drums. No changes with the big annoyances of how Live works, but $250 wasn't a huge deal to keep an essential tool up to date. The AU bug in 10.0.2 (that they knew about when they released it) pissed me off royally, though, and sent me looking at other DAWs for a while.

I sold my grandma's underwear to pay for live 10

It works!

Still stuck to 9!

jobinho wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:39 am I sold my grandma's underwear to pay for live 10
Harry! You naughty boy!!

Er, yea the sale before Xmas is the way to go for 9 Standard users... I passed on that last year thinking that I was fine with 9 the way it was. But the suite from standard Xmas upgrade is pretty much worth it so I'm not going to be a "grumpy old guy" stuck in the past. Ha! :)

I only use Intro so can't comment on the money aspect but find the changes to 10s arrangement view worth upgrading for alone, just being able to drag/stretch clips made a big difference to me. And I find the GUI a lot better when using my laptop, the scaling works nicely (though not too keen on the transport buttons, kinda amateurish imo... :))

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”