Digital Performer 10 is now Ableton Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Digital Performer Live

L.B. wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:11 am
Monkey Man wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:02 am Indeed, I wonder if v1o tested the many skins provided by-default.
Maybe not. The layout of DP10 is classic in a positive way. Form follows the function. For me this approach is contemporary (I do not use the word modern intentionally) and, from my point of view, works best for a creative project management tool. I'm not a fan of layouts like Bitwig or Studio One. To each his own.
Same here, L.B.

He said the GUI looked like a toy to him so I figured he might've got along better with one of the many alternate skins.

Puddi wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:03 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:25 pm
I agree w.r.t. Live, but Bitwig users really take advanage of all this stuff because it's easier to use than in Live. Check my (criminally unfinished) course in my signature to get a flavour of this.

And I too agree that both lag tremedously behind Cubase or Logic in terms of features geared towards the linear workflow :)
Yeah, I agree that Bitwig is probably the most inviting DAW for general sound exploration. I do miss the device ecosystem in both Ableton and Bitwig with how easy it is to create macros and parallel chains, but there's still too many things I love about Reaper to abandon it.
So yeah, DP is in the running for covering both a traditional DAWs linear sequencer area, plus Bitwig and Lives's Clips and modulation, and it's own Chunks paradigm. I'm excited. I own Bitwig 8-Track, Reaper, Logic, Ableton Live, plus DP10, and it's very possible in an update or two I end up using DP10 exclusively.

:tu:

machinesworking wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:14 am
Puddi wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:03 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:25 pm
I agree w.r.t. Live, but Bitwig users really take advanage of all this stuff because it's easier to use than in Live. Check my (criminally unfinished) course in my signature to get a flavour of this.

And I too agree that both lag tremedously behind Cubase or Logic in terms of features geared towards the linear workflow :)
Yeah, I agree that Bitwig is probably the most inviting DAW for general sound exploration. I do miss the device ecosystem in both Ableton and Bitwig with how easy it is to create macros and parallel chains, but there's still too many things I love about Reaper to abandon it.
So yeah, DP is in the running for covering both a traditional DAWs linear sequencer area, plus Bitwig and Lives's Clips and modulation, and it's own Chunks paradigm. I'm excited. I own Bitwig 8-Track, Reaper, Logic, Ableton Live, plus DP10, and it's very possible in an update or two I end up using DP10 exclusively.
you definitely get more for your money w/DP.. i mean.. DP has more windows than all those other DAWs combined. :D

dayjob wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:16 pm you definitely get more for your money w/DP.. i mean.. DP has more windows than all those other DAWs combined. :D 
Hmm? if that's a jab, Consolidated Windows, done. I like that I have options compared to Bitwig and Live, or Logic even. You can set up which windows open as side windows and which open in their own window. I've never liked editing midi in a sub-window, that was the biggest disappointment when Live got dual monitor support. Bitwig and Logic handle it a bit better, but I like the customizability of DP's approach.

Bitwigs touch screen display is freaking cool as hell on the Slate Raven here though. 8)

My initial enthusiasm has diminished greatly. Please do not get this wrong. I still like the minimalist interface, the concept, combined with very good project management tools. But Digital Performer 10 on Windows 10 is not ready for prime time.

The UI reacts slowly. I've got BSOD's on regular basis (zero problems with 2 alternative DAW's btw.). The UI is often extremely slow, also loading projects, especially Kontakt ( loading lasts for an eternity). ASIO performance not great. Midi data transmission from one track to another out of sync. MOTU support is existent, but not really helpful. DP is on hold now, unfortunately.

I wanted to try this DAW so I downloaded it from https://motu.com/download, but I can't install it because the installer contains an expired certificate. What a joke...

Reefius wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:28 pm I wanted to try this DAW so I downloaded it from https://motu.com/download, but I can't install it because the installer contains an expired certificate. What a joke...
I had the same problem. In fact, I couldn't uninstall DP 9.5 because of the same (or similar) expired certificate. I had to roll back the clock to complete the uninstall, set the clock ahead, find an expired certificate in the installer for DP 10, roll the clock back again, install, and set the clock to the correct time and date. Ridiculous. I should probably have made a techlink.

I am also scratching my head over the logic behind forcing me to either use VST 2 or VST 3, but not both. Several of the plugins I use exist only in one of the two formats, so I couldn't use the Reason 11 VST 3 and Kontakt in the same project for instance.

Edit to add: It also bugs me that they refuse to add Eucon support to the Windows version (it exists for MacOS)., so any ideas I had about using it with Avid hardware or PT | Control are out the window.
Last edited by toddbooster on Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FWIW, I made a ticket with MOTU.

For the moment, ReasonRack at VST3 format don't work with D.P. 10.01 _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.7.2 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

geronimo wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:01 pm For the moment, ReasonRack at VST3 format don't work with D.P. 10.01 _
I've heard about people having trouble with the MacOS version, but in my short tests it seems to work fine in Windows.

toddbooster wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:33 pmI am also scratching my head over the logic behind forcing me to either use VST 2 or VST 3, but not both. Several of the plugins I use exist only in one of the two formats, so I couldn't use the Reason 11 VST 3 and Kontakt in the same project for instance.
In DP's Preferences window there's a plug in manager, you initially instal "one" plug in type, then there you can activate others. It's a PITA that it doesn't allow you to just install all types. It's probably from the OS X version, because there's a whopping three possible instances for every one plug in if you instantiated them all.

I haven't used the Windows version but I can't imagine they got rid of the ability to use both VST2 and 3 plug ins on only the Windows side?

machinesworking wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:31 pm I haven't used the Windows version but I can't imagine they got rid of the ability to use both VST2 and 3 plug ins on only the Windows side?
You may be right. I only saw the toggle for Primary Plugin Format, which enables all of the VST2 or 3 plugins. I hadn't considered manually activating other plugins after that.

toddbooster wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:41 pm
machinesworking wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:31 pm I haven't used the Windows version but I can't imagine they got rid of the ability to use both VST2 and 3 plug ins on only the Windows side?
You may be right. I only saw the toggle for Primary Plugin Format, which enables all of the VST2 or 3 plugins. I hadn't considered manually activating other plugins after that.
You should be able to, you can manually deactivate plug ins that are problematic as well.

So MOTU just announced the M2 and M4 audio interfaces. They both ship with the newly introduced Performer Lite, which is obviously sporting some features that will be in the next update to DP10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb11nfb ... e=emb_logo

A couple things right away:
Clips are now in the Sequence Editor.
No tabs, icons on the top right replace them.
DP might get MPE support, there's a Roli Seaboard block in the add.
The interface is a huge improvement in areas that always bothered me, the cycle record is a bar now, Clips and Tabs etc. The standard Theme is pretty good, I probably won't change it etc. Just waiting for all this to come to DP10 "pro", can't imagine it will take too long.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”