Logic Pro X alternative

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
14942 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:44 pm

fmr wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:39 pm
pdxindy wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:31 pm
So the new computers are more capable than the old ones. If you want to call that unacceptable, that is up to you... I'm very happy with the sheer number of devices I can now connect without any issue.
The latest models don't have USB-A ports anymore. So, that excuse doesn't (hopefully) apply to these models.

BTW - only the top of the line has four ports. The other model only has two ports.

Out of curiosity - will an RME interface have issues if connected through a powered USB hub?
The Mac Mini has 4 USB-C and 2 USB-A (USB-3) ports

I don't know

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
8509 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:47 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:44 pm
fmr wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:39 pm
The latest models don't have USB-A ports anymore. So, that excuse doesn't (hopefully) apply to these models.

BTW - only the top of the line has four ports. The other model only has two ports.

Out of curiosity - will an RME interface have issues if connected through a powered USB hub?
The Mac Mini has 4 USB-C and 2 USB-A (USB-3) ports
I thought we were talking about the Macbook Pro. Did that excuse refer to the Mac mini?

Anyway, I presume that a good powered Hub (like the OWC ones) would guarantee a good performance.
Fernando (FMR)

User avatar
Coxy
KVRian
671 posts since 31 Aug, 2004 from England !

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:36 am

Let's get some balance into this thread. . .

Using 27" 2018 iMac and 2017 MacBook Pro, 13" with RME Fireface via USB. No issues on both. Better driver stability and lower latency than the Audient ID14 it replaced. No crackles, pops even under heavy conditions at 32ms. Sound quality on the RME not as open as the Audient but I'd struggle to spot it in a blind test.

Apple is highly unlikely to pull the plug on Logic, that is in my opinion a poor attempt at foresight.

As for alternatives, big ticket ones giving you the most Logic like experience will be
  • Cubase
    Samplitude
    Digital Performer.
    Studio One
My vote would be Cubase for a like for like replacement.

The others not listed, Ala Live, Bitwig, Reasonm, FL Studio won't be as immediately familiar.

User avatar
Ed A.
KVRist
282 posts since 27 Jul, 2004 from Outer Bongolia

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:33 pm

I don't know of any other DAW that has the choice and quality of synths and effects that Logic has. I'm staying with Logic.

User avatar
martinjuenke
KVRAF
3153 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Germany

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:40 pm

Ed A. wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:33 pm
I don't know of any other DAW that has the choice and quality of synths and effects that Logic has. I'm staying with Logic.
#metoo

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

jonljacobi
KVRian
834 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:48 am

I also shall continue to use Logic, but in answer to the original question, also take a look at Tracktion Waveform. It has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years.

But there’s no reason not to demo all of them.

User avatar
Tj Shredder
KVRAF
2016 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:23 pm

I knew Logic from the old days up to version 3, but did not have my own copy. Just from client work. I got into ProTools also for client work and still think its the most intuitive workflow for audio editing.
Some years ago I had to get Logic X, though I could do what I needed to do I did not like it. For editing its a nightmare, but the instruments and its natural dealing with Midi, which leads to MPE compatibility is a big plus.
For editing I switched to Ardour, and listening to all the concerns about Logic might be dropped (extremely unlikely) this would be the natural switch. I use Bitwig to get me inspired (neither Logic nor Live could grab me there).
Btw. the dropping of some of the older apps was to be expected. They aquired Emagic just for Logic and had from the beginning no interest to support the complete line forever...
Ardour is the only future proof application as it is the only professional open source DAW (thanks to Harrisons engagement). For audio editing its better than any other DAW for its logarithmic waveform display... (Logic is a kids toy in that regard...)
For modern EDM style production you would need something else though...

Ploki
KVRian
652 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:03 am

why do you don't like editing in Logic?
i've yet to use a daw that's as intuitive and fast for editing as logic is

SoundPorn
KVRian
550 posts since 24 Jul, 2018

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:18 am

Wondering how open source future proofs a DAW because Tracktion also opened up they're code.
Tj Shredder wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:23 pm
I knew Logic from the old days up to version 3, but did not have my own copy. Just from client work. I got into ProTools also for client work and still think its the most intuitive workflow for audio editing.
Some years ago I had to get Logic X, though I could do what I needed to do I did not like it. For editing its a nightmare, but the instruments and its natural dealing with Midi, which leads to MPE compatibility is a big plus.
For editing I switched to Ardour, and listening to all the concerns about Logic might be dropped (extremely unlikely) this would be the natural switch. I use Bitwig to get me inspired (neither Logic nor Live could grab me there).
Btw. the dropping of some of the older apps was to be expected. They aquired Emagic just for Logic and had from the beginning no interest to support the complete line forever...
Ardour is the only future proof application as it is the only professional open source DAW (thanks to Harrisons engagement). For audio editing its better than any other DAW for its logarithmic waveform display... (Logic is a kids toy in that regard...)
For modern EDM style production you would need something else though...

User avatar
Tj Shredder
KVRAF
2016 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:23 am

Ploki wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:03 am
why do you don't like editing in Logic?
i've yet to use a daw that's as intuitive and fast for editing as logic is
I cannot edit sample exact for an unusable waveform in the arranger. The audio editor doesn't help there as I need to see several tracks in high resolution. Its really a bad joke, completely unprofessional. Coming from ProTools for that task - I am 100 times faster in ProTools...
There are other drawbacks as well, I can easily destroy a lot of edits without noticing... ProTools is far more logical than Logic...
When working in Ardour, I first thought as well its unusable because there is no vertical zoom - can you imagine? But when asking for it, I got pointed to the logarithmic waveform display, and that is it, you don't need to zoom in, as you can see the tiniest level and the biggest at the same time... Even better than ProTools...

User avatar
Tj Shredder
KVRAF
2016 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:26 am

SoundPorn wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:18 am
Wondering how open source future proofs a DAW because Tracktion also opened up they're code.
That is a brilliant move I was not aware of. Ardour might be more future proof as already a lot of devs know the code base. But as we see with the Surge synth, opening can propel the development even...

Ploki
KVRian
652 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:35 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:23 am
Ploki wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:03 am
why do you don't like editing in Logic?
i've yet to use a daw that's as intuitive and fast for editing as logic is
I cannot edit sample exact for an unusable waveform in the arranger. The audio editor doesn't help there as I need to see several tracks in high resolution. Its really a bad joke, completely unprofessional. Coming from ProTools for that task - I am 100 times faster in ProTools...
There are other drawbacks as well, I can easily destroy a lot of edits without noticing... ProTools is far more logical than Logic...
When working in Ardour, I first thought as well its unusable because there is no vertical zoom - can you imagine? But when asking for it, I got pointed to the logarithmic waveform display, and that is it, you don't need to zoom in, as you can see the tiniest level and the biggest at the same time... Even better than ProTools...
Ah, you mean that kind of editing.
Yeah no, that really is a joke, waveform zoom works horribly (it makes waveform look like potato) and it's still not retina optimised.

User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
8509 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:01 am

SoundPorn wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:18 am
Wondering how open source future proofs a DAW because Tracktion also opened up they're code.
It doesn't. He is dreaming (or it's wishful thinking).
Fernando (FMR)

Danilo Villanova
KVRist
99 posts since 30 Apr, 2018

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:18 am

Samplitude is pretty full featured...

User avatar
nerner
KVRer
16 posts since 2 Feb, 2019

Re: Logic Pro X alternative

Post Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:58 pm

I wouldn't worry about what is going to happen in the future with these DAWs. Focus on finding one with a workflow you like, for me that ended up being Logic. Yes, one day apple might make changes I don't agree with but if/when that day comes I don't have to upgrade. I know guys who keep their systems offline. After they discovered a DAW that offered everything they needed, and all 3rd party plugins/software were stable, they felt no need to keep updating. These guys mostly transitioned from the analog world so chasing down every new plugin is not something they worry about. I have been debating on a similar approach but I don't think I can kick my plugin addiction. :wink:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”