Views on Reaper!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has it been suggested, or have you thought about MuLab? It's similar price and much easier imho. But it doesn't have one major feature I want, wait note. Hence I'm also looking to purchase a reaper license too.

Fourstepper wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:22 am
HanafiH wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:27 pm Reaper: great for creative work, all over the place for technicals.
I would like to know examples of what is technically cumbersome or difficult in reaper in terms of technical stuff (and what those technical things even are)
I see people like to parrot that type of statement about Reaper, however I see no truth to it. People may come from a different background of DAW and have personal issues adjusting as expected with any DAW.

As I mentioned, my experience coming from Sonar -- Same size shoe, slightly different look, running miles comfortably right away.
Have you tried Vital?

HanafiH wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:27 pm Reaper: great for creative work, all over the place for technicals.
Quite the opposite, i would say.

Reaper: great for creative work, all over the place for technicals.
i'm not sure i know what you mean. objectively speaking, reaper is still the best all-around DAW ( i use ableton mostly for my own stuff). it can be appear a little overwhelming with so much functionality, but there are a tonne of customizations you can get from the reaper site or just do your own. it's as deep as you want to go with it...

I would like to know examples of what is technically cumbersome or difficult in reaper in terms of technical stuff (and what those technical things even are)
Metering using the inbuilt meters.

Psuper wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:17 pm
I see people like to parrot that type of statement about Reaper, however I see no truth to it. People may come from a different background of DAW and have personal issues adjusting as expected with any DAW.

As I mentioned, my experience coming from Sonar -- Same size shoe, slightly different look, running miles comfortably right away.
Look, I love Reaper, I’ve been using it and paying for it since version 1. You can do almost anything with Reaper, you can route anything into anything across the plugins and tracks, you can get a song up and running in Reaper and do all the lovely plugin stuff quick as you like no trouble at all.

The only problem is that it’s a complexity pig. There’s so much stuff exploded over so huge a spider’s web of control surfaces, that it’s like walking through treacle if you come out of playing with the fairies mode and get into meeting the customer’s deadline mode. How the fork do you make this happen?... Is always just around the next dialog with Reaper. It’s like Linux versus Windows. If you know about 30,000 command line variations to 10 parameters deep, Linux kicks the shit out of anything else. If you want to make a computer do something, Windows wins every time. Life is not a race to climb the learning curve of unnecessary complexity. That’s a sand pit for nerds who aren’t trying to money. If you don’t like that, I don’t firkin give a damn, dude.

I do my creative work in Reaper using about 10% of the tool set. I do my real work in something else. It doesn’t matter what else, just something else. Reaper 6 needs a major, MAJOR usability UI revision.

HanafiH wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:08 pm

Look, I love Reaper, I’ve been using it and paying for it since version 1. You can do almost anything with Reaper, you can route anything into anything across the plugins and tracks, you can get a song up and running in Reaper and do all the lovely plugin stuff quick as you like no trouble at all.

The only problem is that it’s a complexity pig. There’s so much stuff exploded over so huge a spider’s web of control surfaces, that it’s like walking through treacle if you come out of playing with the fairies mode and get into meeting the customer’s deadline mode. How the fork do you make this happen?... Is always just around the next dialog with Reaper. It’s like Linux versus Windows. If you know about 30,000 command line variations to 10 parameters deep, Linux kicks the shit out of anything else. If you want to make a computer do something, Windows wins every time. Life is not a race to climb the learning curve of unnecessary complexity. That’s a sand pit for nerds who aren’t trying to money. If you don’t like that, I don’t firkin give a damn, dude.

I do my creative work in Reaper using about 10% of the tool set. I do my real work in something else. It doesn’t matter what else, just something else. Reaper 6 needs a major, MAJOR usability UI revision.

pretty much - Reaper has some great features but the usability is poor (learnability is the probably the biggest problem). That will never change. Here is an example of UI problems - two monitor setup, drag the docker to the second monitor and there is no auto adjusting for size. You can't double click to fill the second screen, it might be too big it might not be. Now I am not saying there isn't a workaround, but it should just work and be obvious like say dragging a browser tab from Chrome.
what you don't know only makes you stronger

woggle wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:30 pm

pretty much - Reaper has some great features but the usability is poor (learnability is the probably the biggest problem). That will never change. Here is an example of UI problems - two monitor setup, drag the docker to the second monitor and there is no auto adjusting for size. You can't double click to fill the second screen, it might be too big it might not be. Now I am not saying there isn't a workaround, but it should just work and be obvious like say dragging a browser tab from Chrome.

I find no issues, and I don't consider myself a genius, nor am I an industry giant - I do some things paid, most just for myself.

As I said, those statements apply to every DAW. Every DAW has as much complexity as you'd like, dig as deep as you want, get lost in whatever you desire -- all depends on what you want to use it for. Its just typical 'dig in' with any DAW you decide to work with, Reaper is no different than that, but with the added bonus is you can do TONS more.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:10 pm

I find no issues, and I don't consider myself a genius, nor am I an industry giant - I do some things paid, most just for myself.

As I said, those statements apply to every DAW. Every DAW has as much complexity as you'd like, dig as deep as you want, get lost in whatever you desire -- all depends on what you want to use it for. Its just typical 'dig in' with any DAW you decide to work with, Reaper is no different than that, but with the added bonus is you can do TONS more.
you have not addressed the usability issue in general or with reference to the specifics. You've had two people who have used Reaper since v1 (before in my case) point out there are usability problems - there are and they can be objectively measured - they aren't "subjective" which is the usual ignorant response that holds Reaper back from UI improvement. Logically your argument is incoherent - it does not matter if other DAWs have issues, the point was being made about Reaper, the OP is asking about Reaper.

woggle wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:52 am
Psuper wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:10 pm

you have not addressed the usability issue in general or with reference to the specifics. You've had two people who have used Reaper since v1 (before in my case) point out there are usability problems - there are and they can be objectively measured - they aren't "subjective" which is the usual ignorant response that holds Reaper back from UI improvement. Logically your argument is incoherent - it does not matter if other DAWs have issues, the point was being made about Reaper, the OP is asking about Reaper.
Woggle, your response is the only in this entire thread that is blissfully incoherent, not even worth my time replying, but here it goes:

You start by saying "you have not addressed the usability issue in general" then you say "people point out usability problems, and they can be objectively measured". You go ahead and address supposed "usability issues in general", I already stated I have no issues with usability. We're all waiting...

The only 'example' given was how windows should magically resize, which I didn't address because frankly its ridiculous. I suppose we could gather up every DAW and see if this extremely important usability issue (sarcasm btw) works as he expects on all the DAWS, and I suspect with my superior intellect that some will, some wont. I know Propellerheads Reason sure doesn't, I suppose someone could start spouting how terrible its usability is...

Also, no one is talking about 'issues with other DAWs' except you. Familiarity is the only point that was made. Again, all DAWS can take you down the rabbit hole of options, with the added bonus that Reaper has far more. Takes no added effort or acts of great brainpower to get familiar with Reaper than any other DAW out there.
Have you tried Vital?

No offense to anyone involved but these arguments about DAW's "usability" or whatever else are kinda silly. Those things are pretty subjective and if Joe feels it's workflow is great and Jim feels it's clunkly they can both actually be 100% right about that as there is literally only one Joe and one Jim, and their experiences and preferences are unique.

No idea why when someone feels a certain way about a certain thing some of those who feel differently always need them to "explain or justify" why they feel that way, as if their own perception or preference is not valid unless everyone else agrees with it.

Like kids fighting over superhero toys on the playground. :roll:

I personally love Reaper for audio and despise it for MIDI... and no... I'm not going to explain the latter as I actually don't care if anyone else feels that same way or not and would be shocked if everyone did.

f**k me some Reaper users are the dumbest c**ts in the world - absolute fuckwits incapable of any reasoned response to anything.

woggle wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:50 pm f**k me some Reaper users are the dumbest c**ts in the world - absolute fuckwits incapable of any reasoned response to anything.
Nice woggle, knew we were working with a real winner.
Have you tried Vital?

I tried Reaper, but I didn't like the way to access/load plugins. Also the GUI wasn't the best, at least for me. Will stick with Ableton. :)

Psuper wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:53 pm
woggle wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:50 pm f**k me some Reaper users are the dumbest c**ts in the world - absolute fuckwits incapable of any reasoned response to anything.
Nice woggle, knew we were working with a real winner.
If you think your post ["Psuper"] was responsive to points like at all, let alone coherent you're delusional.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”