Newbie Reaper Question

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All!

So I created a chord sequence in Reaper of 2 bars in length.

I create another midi track and add a blank midi clip (New Midi Item) on the second track but it only created one bar. I watched a video of how to extend it by double clicking the midi clip to get to the midi editor and then extending the box when the icon changes at the edges.

Anyway, when I double click the 2nd midi clip I get this (see attached pic.)

What's going on with that?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maybe the end of the clip coincides with the end of that window. Zoom out to see the edge.

An easier way to create a new empty MIDI clip, of any length is: make sure no clips are selected, press Ctrl and drag your mouse on the track where you want the clip.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 pm Maybe the end of the clip coincides with the end of that window. Zoom out to see the edge.

An easier way to create a new empty MIDI clip, of any length is: make sure no clips are selected, press Ctrl and drag your mouse on the track where you want the clip.
The clip on that track on the sequencer starts at the very beginning of the song but when I double click the midi clip, the midi editor is only highlighted white at bar 2. The clip in the sequencer starts at the beginning of the song until bar 2 as it only seems to create 1 bar doing it through the menu way, insert midi item. If however I draw in the left hand section with the pencil (in the midi editor), it will draw the notes in and they do appear on the sequencer. Annoying this is.

I tried your click and drag but that never worked either. Tried crtl, shift and alt and dragging, none worked.

Also, if I try to extend the clip in the sequencer 'cause I want a 2 bar clip, it just makes another duplicate clip of the first one with the little nicks in the top to indicate another clip, copies it basically and doesn't extend the clip.

What happened when you zoomed out in the MIDI Editor?

I should have said;
An easier way to create a new empty MIDI clip, of any length is: make sure no clips are selected, press Ctrl and drag your mouse, in the Arranger, on the track where you want the clip.

Or, Insert the 1-bar clip, then right-click it, select "Item settings" and untick "Loop item source". Then drag the right-hand edge of the clip in the arranger.
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:38 pm What happened when you zoomed out in the MIDI Editor?

I should have said;
An easier way to create a new empty MIDI clip, of any length is: make sure no clips are selected, press Ctrl and drag your mouse, in the Arranger, on the track where you want the clip.

Or, Insert the 1-bar clip, then right-click it, select "Item settings" and untick "Loop item source". Then drag the right-hand edge of the clip in the arranger.
Yes I did try a drag an empty clip on a track in the arranger. Just tried again. Didn't work.

I did that untick "Loop Item Sauce" and when I dragged the clip edge in the arranger again, it just duplicated the same clip.

See the attached pic of the midi editor zoomed out. I don't get why the left side is greyed or dark and the right side is white when the clip is at the beginning of the track. I would've though the grey bit and the white bit would be the other way 'round.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Can anyone shed any light here?

Suggestions so far should get you there. It sounds like you have a mouse modifier activated or something. Try with a new project. You should be able to drag the midi clip in the arranger easily if loop source is not ticked.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

"Yes I did try a drag an empty clip on a track in the arranger. Just tried again. Didn't work."
I did not say that. Make sure that NO MIDI CLIP is selected, move to an empty area of the track in the Arranger, press Ctrl and hold it down - you should see the mouse pointer change to a pencil, click the mouse and drag to the right.

in your second screenshot, the white bit is a MIDI clip, starting a measure 2 and is at least 5 measures long, it has no notes in it. The grey bit to the left is an earlier MIDI clip with some notes in it.
Inspired by ...

Isn't the active midi editor part usually white? well the midi parts are on the left on my pic above. In a greyed out area. I can still add notes and then those rows go white but why isn't the whole midi area to the left white, strange. I've tried the suggestions above.

The active part is usually white, yes. But it does depend on the theme. Which one are you using? Try another one?

Please ZIP up and upload your problem project file, so that we can have a look. If it is small enough you can attach it here to your reply.
Inspired by ...

Ahhhh, it was the theme, I was using the "Imperial Theme". Sorted now. I've heard that it's meant to be used on dual monitors that theme.

Got something else happening now. On a bass line, I have 4 notes on each bar with 8 on the last (4 bars, 3 different note pitches) but the first note on the 4th bar will continually play. I've had to delete it for now, not sure why. On Repro-1.

Have you checked if there is a CC event related to that note ?
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”