POLL: Which DAW would you choose if all things were equal?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Which DAW Would You Choose On A Level Playing Field?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:38 pm

Ableton Live
13%
Acoustica Mixcraft Pro Studio
0%
Adobe Audition
No votes
Apple GarageBand
No votes
Apple Logic Pro X
8%
Ardour
1%
Avid Pro Tools
4%
BandLab Sonar
1%
BandLab Cakewalk
1%
Bitwig Studio
11%
Cockos Reaper
13%
Harrison Mixbus
0%
Harrison Mixbus 32-C
1%
Image-Line FL Studio
7%
PreSonus Studio One
9%
Propellerhead Reason
3%
Ohm Force Ohm Studio
No votes
Magix Acid Pro
No votes
Magix Samplitude Pro X
1%
MAGIX Sequoia
No votes
MOTU Digital Performer
2%
MuTool MuLab
2%
Renoise
2%
Renoise Redux
No votes
Steinberg Cubase
11%
Steinberg Nuendo
1%
Tracktion Waveform
4%
Tracktion T-series
0%
*OTHER (please write-in vote, i.e., Soundbridge/Lumit, NCH MixPad, Distractionware Bosca Ceoil, Numerology, etc.)
1%
Experimental Scene Darkwave Studio, Traverso, Magix Music Maker)
0%

Total votes: 403

RELATED
PRODUCTS

ZERO prior experience/investment with any any of them (but you do have your eMusic experience/not a total beginner).//

I was in Guitar Center and all I'd ever heard of was Pro Tools and I was trying to ask about options. Some guy caught me and said, 'no no no, you do not want Pro Tools, it costs too much and you have to have all this gear before it works worth a shit. What you want is Cubase.' And he was right. :P

I would probably be using Cubase today if it were not for that dongle requirement. I had a decent crossgrade offer for Cubase Pro a while back, but that dongle purchase kept me from closing the deal.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I'm used to cakewalk sonar and I like how they were bundling a lot of 3rd party content so I choose bandlab sonar and cakewalk.

Where is Orion Platinum btw.? Is it discontinued? Left DAWs in 2015, so I would not know. And what is BONES going to tell ya leaving Orion to “other” but listing FL studio, you think? Whatever that is, you are begging for it.

BTW: I loved Orion and loved to be part of the Orion inquisition as well. Man, did we kick ass if anyone just looked at in a suspecious way. Miss those days :cry: :D

Chose FL due to familiarity, and it can run nice on modest systems. Also the overall package is as good as Ableton, Bitwig, etc.
From a development standpoint Live IMO took the better route of constantly upgrading simpler until it became a beast.
Imageline mostly kept making new samplers, and not building much on the old design after release.
I would rather the basic sampler have slicing, and output routing per pad like simpler.
Otherwise Imageline has managed to develop at a furious pace, and still maintain a somewhat lightweight DAW that runs smoothly on my modest system that Ableton brings to a halt.

Maybe we should establish a baseline for computer power, when comparing DAWs in the "all things being equal" department?

I have a feeling that DAW users run the range from modest older dual core computers, and lightweight power saving laptops, to powerful gaming laptops and state of the art banging desktops running an Intel Core i9 with 10 cores and 128 GB of RAM.

Are some DAWs better suited for each end of the computing power spectrum, or are they neutral in this regard?

If it ran on PC, I believe I'd totally be a Logic user so that got my vote. For now, I'm using Cubase primarily and Studio One on occasion.

zzz00m wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:31 am I would probably be using Cubase today if it were not for that dongle requirement. I had a decent crossgrade offer for Cubase Pro a while back, but that dongle purchase kept me from closing the deal.
Steinberg has acknowledged that they're looking to move past the eLicencer dongle and are actively working on it. No public estimates as to when, but you'll get your wish in due time.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:13 pm Steinberg has acknowledged that they're looking to move past the eLicencer dongle
I read that there was a time when you could go to a music store in your city and buy the dongled Cubase and take it home and it would work without needing to be connected to the internet.

That was actually my plan, I was saving up about 500 dollars, at the time, for that. Then I found out about REAPER. 60 dollars instead of 500 dollars. Cubase price does increase year after year, right? REAPER price remains at 60 dollars year after year. No dongles too. No nothing.

Okay you need internet to receive your serial, but after that you don't really need internet. Okay, well you do need it if you want to download newer REAPER versions. The REAPER license entitles you to about 200 newer REAPER "minor" versions or two "major" versions? It also entitles you to ALL old versions of REAPER.

I wish I could buy REAPER at my city's music store(s). The REAPER installer is only about 10 MB in size. It will fit inside the cheapest USB storage stick. The REAPER serial could be included in the USB storage stick too. Hey, maybe even the cheapest USB stick have enough room to fit ALL the old REAPER installers.

Justin Frankel doesn't seem to worry "as much" about piracy. Justin is the main developer and owner of REAPER. Justin just seem to trust most people's conscience... that most people would conclude "This is a great product, I will pay 60 dollars to continue using it, I'm not a thief".

But now, most DAWs require internet connection for activation and such? Why? It is because of piracy, right? Is it so easy for pirates to build duplicates of physical dongle? Is that what the pirates were doing before the internet became so "everywhere"?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

I prefer iLok soft licenser. :lol:

IncarnateX wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:21 am Where is Orion Platinum btw.? Is it discontinued?

its (orion studio) been discontinued for years now, 4 maybe

I create using Bitwig and mix/master using Harrison Mixbus32C.

If Cubase is 60 dollars like REAPER is and if it has the same piracy protection as REAPER does then I would buy Cubase.

I might buy FL studio too. 180 dollars total, for the three.
My share of the cable/phone/internet bill is 20 dollars a month because I don't use cable and I rarely use the phone.

I can quit the internet for 9 months to save up for the 180 dolars that I would need to buy REAPER + Cubase + FL Studio. If the price is 60 dollars per DAW, that is.

Oh wait, that wouldn't work. Me quitting the internet will still leave my housemates with the same bill because I don't think they are willing to quit the internet for 9 months.

Maybe I'll just sell drugs to those "drive 10 mph at the Autobahn" geezers at the What Has Made You Happy Today thread. Hahaha. I'm just jokin, man.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Got used to FL Studio since the days there was only else Cubase and Cakewalk, and since it become a very powerful tool.
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download.

AnX wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:12 pm
IncarnateX wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:21 am Where is Orion Platinum btw.? Is it discontinued?

its (orion studio) been discontinued for years now, 4 maybe
That would be about the time I left PC Daws. A coincidence? Was it all my fault? Should I have participated in more flame wars? Helped BONES to squeeze enemies more violently than I did? Praised Richard in a scientfic journal? I feel guilty. Orion raised the most wonderful cult; the members could not agree about anything apart from burning disbelievers on the stake together. Great fun.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”