Waveform 10 vs other DAWs?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waveform Pro

rpm wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:08 am
That's what I'm saying. I'm stuck cause I love the workflow and look so much but I cannot afford to use it anymore due to frequency of crashes. I will try to force myself to like another DAW but I do not like the look/feel of the other DAWs because they have a similar approach. Tracktion/Waveform differed from the norm in terms of the single screen uncluttered look. I don't think there's anything similar or at least I haven't seen it.
Hmm, honestly this single screen approach has gone already as it heavily relies on popup panels now the sidebar/browser...
To use any advanced midi functionality like the pattern generators you´ve got now an inbuilt PR editor...
For mixing they put in a mixer...

From the original Tracktion approach isn´t much left and Waveform isn´t that different to other DAWs anymore...
I know this feeling for being stuck into a special workflow as I got this problem with FL Studio and have very hard times to leave it behind because of many shortcomings so I can feel with you...
But anyway, if there is no alternative, your only option is to try and try with a different DAW you could like and stay concentrated on the new stuff... it´s easier to say than to do but... what can you do else...

I find it sad, all this talk about the crashing. I was onboard with Tracktion, maybe pre v1 (even joined KvR because that's where the support forum was :)) but eventually drifted way mid-00s as it just wasn't going anywhere and crashed for me regularly. I really like the progress that's been made since it was resurrected but, yeah, everytime I demo it it crashes repeatedly on me. So that's different versions, computers, OSs, audio interfaces/drivers over the years... Even tried it with no 3rd party plugins at all to no effect. A shame.

Trancit wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:56 pm
rpm wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:08 am
That's what I'm saying. I'm stuck cause I love the workflow and look so much but I cannot afford to use it anymore due to frequency of crashes. I will try to force myself to like another DAW but I do not like the look/feel of the other DAWs because they have a similar approach. Tracktion/Waveform differed from the norm in terms of the single screen uncluttered look. I don't think there's anything similar or at least I haven't seen it.
Hmm, honestly this single screen approach has gone already as it heavily relies on popup panels now the sidebar/browser...
To use any advanced midi functionality like the pattern generators you´ve got now an inbuilt PR editor...
For mixing they put in a mixer...

From the original Tracktion approach isn´t much left and Waveform isn´t that different to other DAWs anymore...
I know this feeling for being stuck into a special workflow as I got this problem with FL Studio and have very hard times to leave it behind because of many shortcomings so I can feel with you...
But anyway, if there is no alternative, your only option is to try and try with a different DAW you could like and stay concentrated on the new stuff... it´s easier to say than to do but... what can you do else...
Thanks for empathizing. Though I disagree that W has lost the philosophy of T. I for instance do not touch the new mixer at all so mixing is the same for me as always. I also find the bottom panel pretty useful and uncluttered.

But yeah, looks like time to move on. It will be painful and tough and will take time and money but if I make a good choice, it will be better in the long run.
Windows 11/Linux Manjaro KDE + Waveform 11.

rpm wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:41 pm
Thanks for empathizing. Though I disagree that W has lost the philosophy of T. I for instance do not touch the new mixer at all so mixing is the same for me as always. I also find the bottom panel pretty useful and uncluttered.

But yeah, looks like time to move on. It will be painful and tough and will take time and money but if I make a good choice, it will be better in the long run.
I think you should really dive into Reaper as it would be by far the closest in terms of workflow and features to waveform

Of course it lacks of the Chord track/Pattern generator thingie but this could be done with 3rd party software like Captain plugins or Sundog...

But Reaper allows you too to work just in the arrangement without i.e. touching the mixer (all controls are available on the normal tracks as well as plugins and their parameters...
It doesn´t have something like Racks as a plugin but it´s routing possibilities gives you a lot of similarities (and in this case with full working PDC) and saving possibilities for the whole chain or just parts of it...
Reaper has event fx, sub projects, inline midi editor, even a lot more of user defineable macros, track templates which can work like Waveform´s track loops, freeze points and much much more...

From my feature comparison (which I did when leaving Waveform) Reaper is by far the closest software to the feature set of Waveform...
Reaper needs a lot of customization but once that is done it would be much much more powerful than Waveform with nearly a 100% of stability and efficency...

If you can wrap your head around it this would be the way to go imho...and a very affordable too

Life is so busy and this is really not more than a hobby (though I do have an album released on Spotify etc.) so I'm just worried about how much I would have to invest into just learning Reaper. But yeah, otherwise, nothing comes close to it in terms of the price/performance ratio. I might go that way.

For now, I am just having some fun looking around. I came across a bunch of more obscure stuff I had heard or toyed around with years ago: Usine, Zynewave Podium, OhmStudio, MuLab, n-Track, etc.

I am having fun looking at some of the interesting features and demo'ing. n-Track for instance integrates PureData, which would be fun. MuLab works very fast, great responsivity and simplicity. etc. etc.

I always had problems with Tracktion and Waveform on Linux and on Mac and it was not because of 3rd party plugins. But the latest version of W10 is really running very well for me on both platforms. I think the developers worked really hard to get this version as stable and reliable as possible. It's still not perfect but no DAW is.

However, this effort may be a little late. I will take a lot of time to recharge a damaged reputation.

Waveform is a great DAW - except for the ""poof!" - its gone again.

Upon restart It always blames VSTs that work just fine in other DAWs and asks if you would like to disable it - as if you had any other option !

At least it saves a temporary edit - as if you would be silly enough to want to continue.

I will not upgrade again until they get the bugs sorted - which in itself would be a very important major upgrade.

I sent them all my crash logs and told them that it seems that this is turning into a negative hype. Maybe others could do the same and create some pressure. I'm sure they are doing stuff but it may not be enough. I don't think I will upgrade unless I get concrete proof that this problem is seriously attacked by TSC. With the current state of things, I have stopped making music and I'm just researching and demo'ing other DAWs.

rpm wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:40 pm I sent them all my crash logs and told them that it seems that this is turning into a negative hype. Maybe others could do the same and create some pressure. I'm sure they are doing stuff but it may not be enough. I don't think I will upgrade unless I get concrete proof that this problem is seriously attacked by TSC. With the current state of things, I have stopped making music and I'm just researching and demo'ing other DAWs.
Tracktion was unreliable for me version after version and was never sorted. Each new version I would try it out... it would start crashing and I would wait for the next upgrade and try again. I finally stopped upgrading when the upgrade cost went up enough that it no longer felt like a casual purchase... plus I feel like I supported the Devs long enough without ever getting a reliable version.

I would not count on it changing...

pdxindy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:01 pm
rpm wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:40 pm I sent them all my crash logs and told them that it seems that this is turning into a negative hype. Maybe others could do the same and create some pressure. I'm sure they are doing stuff but it may not be enough. I don't think I will upgrade unless I get concrete proof that this problem is seriously attacked by TSC. With the current state of things, I have stopped making music and I'm just researching and demo'ing other DAWs.
Tracktion was unreliable for me version after version and was never sorted. Each new version I would try it out... it would start crashing and I would wait for the next upgrade and try again. I finally stopped upgrading when the upgrade cost went up enough that it no longer felt like a casual purchase... plus I feel like I supported the Devs long enough without ever getting a reliable version.

I would not count on it changing...
T has served me well but my story is evolving in the same way as yours. I'm hanging on by a thread. I keep testing W10 to see if it'll crash. Tonight was just 1 crash but a new glitch occurred: couple plugins' GUIs were totally messed up, knobs all over the place... Damn!

I am very slowly warming up to the idea of switching to Reaper. I've demo'd a lot of other obscure (=cheap/free) DAWs but they're all weird ('cept MuLab, that's decent).

If I had more money, I'd probably buy Bitwig or S1, though.

Using Waveform is fun , in a Russian roulette kind of way.

Something that's occurred to me tonight: While I don't seem to be getting these crashes with the other DAWs I've been demo'ing (Reaper etc.), still, it could have something to do with other aspects of my setup besides W8/W10. I google'd a bit and found a lot of people using Roland audio interfaces (most of them Duo Capture and some Quad Capture) having crashes and having to reboot to get the audio interface working again.

My driver is up to date but I switched to ASIO4ALL instead of the Roland driver. I'm trying to figure out if this will solve the problem. Please chime in if you have any insight.

I have a Roland Studio Capture, Win10-64, and have been pretty stable with Waveform 8-10. Using latest Roland driver.

Tracktion was unreliable for me version after version and was never sorted. Each new version I would try it out... it would start crashing and I would wait for the next upgrade and try again. I finally stopped upgrading when the upgrade cost went up enough that it no longer felt like a casual purchase...
I just wanted to stay out of this thread and dont even read it but today....glad I dont have to say too much words, all have been said. Still sad about it. Maybe if they have made a two years cylce and finished ANY version....but so: I am now on 9.2 (cause testing 9.3 crashed anything), think about going back to 7 free (cause it has been the best for me in case of VST compatibility) my Tracktion 10 was the upgrade to Studio One 4.......maybe I have to join in here cause:

"Still I am sad".....

Me too. Especially since waveform is one of the only hosts that does the Roli.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”